advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

I think the problem with the Berlin CD is the recording not the playing. I don't know if you've seen the recording which I think put's the playing in a totally different light. To my ears and eyes Murray is carrying the torch. Seems like the BBC are the only ones who know how to record live jazz.

You may be right. The recording seems to be rather poor - will give more listens. I am/was a big fan of Murray; I remember being absolutely riveted by his quartet at the Village Vanguard in the late 80s that I stayed thru' all 3 sets til the wee hours.

Braxton and Zorn are charlatans. Oh dear, this thread has gone off the rails.
Certainly both could be accused of uninspiredness at times, perhaps even laziness, but charlatans, WTF. Zorn is one of the greatest living composers. I don't like all of his output by any means - I find some of his soundtrack series a bit tiring, but clearly the man knows more about music than the majority of other people alive today.

I don't know about Braxton but I don't mean that Zorn is talentless or overrated or fake. Quite the contrary. But I do think he does try to put on certain persona that I don't find that convincing. I am referring to his 'hyper-semiticism' and stuff.

I don't think he is hyper-Semitic, he's just exploring Jewish musical history whilst living and working with NY Jewish musicians. And improv Klezmer rock is frankly, bad ass

[Let's have some Roland Kirk. Worth watching all 45 minutes or so of this, it is fscking brilliant.QUOTE]

Listening to Roland Kirk should be on schools curriculum.

Kirk is an unsung hero. Apart from playing 3 horns at once, in his later years he had a stroke and lost the use of one arm but taught himself to play one-handed.

Inspired by the discussion on Zorn, I managed to find this excellent concert footage of one of his Masada groups. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCDeEv_nHw

On of the most accomplished groups he has ever had. Zorn doesn't play his horn in this group. The entire band is his instrument. Ribot's and Baron's performance is riveting and exudes passion and joy.

If you can't 'get' this, then no one can help you...:p

Inspired by the discussion on Zorn, I managed to find this excellent concert footage of one of his Masada groups. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCDeEv_nHw

On of the most accomplished groups he has ever had. Zorn doesn't play his horn in this group. The entire band is his instrument. Ribot's and Baron's performance is riveting and exudes passion and joy.

If you can't 'get' this, then no one can help you...:p

I saw electric masada play Marsiac five or six years ago. It was a big party. As you say if you can't get this, give up. Dave Douglas also played with his own group or rather joey baron and Greg Cohen from the zorn band. I think zorn might have joined in with his sax

As usual, this thread has sidetracked into something else. I did not intend to recommend that you try listening to Zorn. Some people will find his music challenging and his more accessible stuff isn't really jazz.

If you can't get most jazz, don't sweat it. You either get it or you don't. There's lots of other interesting music to listen to.

I think the only jazz record Zorn ever released was Spy Vs Spy, and that's Ornette played and recorded in the style of thrash metal, so even then it's only kind of jazz.

I am thinking maybe a dislike for trumpets or other instruments used solo/lead instrument in jazz. I need to investigate more music and be more aware of why I do not like it, thus saving a lot of mental anguish

This was it with me, I was wondering why I could love so much blues from the same era but have zero interest in any of the "classic" jazz from the same period.

I managed to narrow it down to most of the wind instruments, they just completely grate on me in pretty much all forms.

Like you I love music from all genres and all eras but have given up with jazz, it's just not my cup of tea, bit like classical music...

I may well have connected with a Miles Davis record that I recently heard on an unknown radio station.. No idea of the title, only caught the last couple of minutes of a Soul/funk track.
Any clues as to which possible album please.

Bloss

I may well have connected with a Miles Davis record that I recently heard on an unknown radio station.. No idea of the title, only caught the last couple of minutes of a Soul/funk track.
Any clues as to which possible album please.

Bloss

Possibly "On the Corner"

The problem is it could really be anything from In A Silent Way of the late '60s right through to his final mid-80s Marcus Miller fusion stuff on Warners. A few more clues would be useful. The stuff from Bitches Brew through to Agharta/Pangea is wonderful extended, dark, powerful, visceral funk, the stuff from 1980 onwards (We Want Miles excepted) far more restrained, controlled and lightweight, and for me personally of far less interest.

I'd recommend going to see some Jazz live to begin with. For one, you will be completely focussed on the music being produced. You may find yourself connecting with the moment the music is being created in.
Good jazz is all about letting the music flow from the spirit, rather than rehearsed playing. And the spititual interconnection between the players, and sometimes the audience.
Once you experience this happening, you may be able to sit at home and conjure up that kind of atmosphere in your mind while listening, and then you may appreciate it.

The problem is it could really be anything from In A Silent Way of the late '60s right through to his final mid-80s Marcus Miller fusion stuff on Warners. A few more clues would be useful. The stuff from Bitches Brew through to Agharta/Pangea is wonderful extended, dark, powerful, visceral funk, the stuff from 1980 onwards (We Want Miles excepted) far more restrained, controlled and lightweight, and for me personally of far less interest.

I was hoping/dreading your response at the same time.
I wish I had paid more attention to the snippet. knowing my previous attempts to try and get into jazz it may well be your least favourite period, the 1980's onward, perhaps a less complicated/abstract style? easier for my involvement.

Bloss

advertisement

Back