advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

sorry to tell you bad news but if you don't appreciate miles, duke and the count, your case is helpless. stick to whatever you really enjoy as there's probably plenty of great music still to discover there and forget about jazz. if that's not your thing, there's no shame in that. life is too short to lose time over musical genres we don't like!;)

So miles, et al are the spokespeople for all jazz..or the standard bearers? just no. the world marches on. Let em rest in peace their job is done....much more exciting stuff about..dare I day interesting. preconceptions are meant to be destroyed....and im all for it. I hate seeing the same recycled muck...it is predictable.

Ok; maybe you could try some Jimmy Smith or Kenny Burrell (together on Home Cooking, which is quite bluesy, or Midnight Special or Back at the Chicken Shack), or Charles Mingus' immortal Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul from the Ah Um album, which is Gospel-inspired and has amazing drive. If that doesn't work maybe you're immune and you can save a fortune on Blue Note, Verve etc.

I heard some Jimmy Smith and Mingus before starting all this. Some Smith's early work and Mingus Blues and roots and Ah Um. I may even get the odd cd of theirs, vinyl optional depending on £'s

Maybe complete box sets of Django Reinhardt & the Hot club of France and Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Sevens?

As a latecomer to this thread and an infrequent poster, can I suggest Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert and almost anything by Abdullah Ibrahim? These seem to work for my non-jazz loving friends.

The stuff they play at times in 'Rare and Racey' in Sheffield is incomprehensible to me most of the time............anybody else experienced this?

I used to frequent R & R back in the day. The improv can be a struggle but they usually balance this with a nice post AACM groove.

Very knowledgeable about the whole scene.

As a latecomer to this thread and an infrequent poster, can I suggest Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert and almost anything by Abdullah Ibrahim? These seem to work for my non-jazz loving friends.

Abdullah Ibrahim is sounding good. Anybody know the quality of Dollar Brand at Montreux a live CD

What is jazz, somebody asked. I take it that it's characterised by syncopation, and consists of improvising around an established theme, sometimes a popular song. It might be useful for anybody keen to explore jazz to start at the beginning, at least as far as recorded jazz is concerned. I'm sure YouTube will have recordings by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, either their US sessions or records from their stay in England. Then on to Bix Beiderbecke, probably the most accomplished jazz cornet player ever, who turned mundane dance numbers into works of art.

That's one of the things about jazz. How do the Original Dixieland Jazz Band fit alongside David S Ware or John Zorn?

There's improvisation, syncopation and, some would insist, swing. And if you have to ask what swing is... ;-)

That's one of the things about jazz. How do the Original Dixieland Jazz Band fit alongside David S Ware or John Zorn?

There's improvisation, syncopation and, some would insist, swing. And if you have to ask what swing is... ;-)

Albert Ayler - when you play Ayler you can hear New Orlean's marching bands. When you play Zorn you can hear Ayler. He is the cement in jazz history.

Ayler can be interesting, but I wouldn't call him a cornerstone of jazz. And by that time was it jazz at all, or one of the many forms of experimental contemporary music?
For me core of what I think of as "Jazz" is: Coltrane, Rollins, Mingus, Monk, Davis, Sarah Vaughan (Clifford Brown!) Ella Fitzgerald and several others that don't spring to mind.
The Dixieland stuff, which I don't like, is a kind of "pre-Jazz" while Ayler and Shepp are a kind of "post-jazz."
But, obviously, this is just a personal thing with no claim to "Truth," and only expressed on this thread to illustrate the variety of music that is classified as "Jazz."
Also, still for me personally, "Jazz" is strongly linked to a historic period, to one country, and to Afro-Americans. I feel it is the music of that culture, in that country, in that historical period. Much as Wagner or Brahms are quintessentially German and 19th century, Verdi is Italian, Elgar is English, and Sarit Hadad could only be Israeli.
I've gotten used to hearing, say, a Chinese cellist playing Bach. But with classical music there seems to be a greater universality. To hear a technically very competent Englishman or Italian playing the tenor sax "in the Coltrane style" is very pleasant, but..........

To hear a technically very competent Englishman or Italian playing the tenor sax "in the Coltrane style" is very pleasant, but..........

If it's ok for classical to be endlessly reinterpreted then I'm ok with 'trane' stylists - it has'nt got to be pure every time (has it?). For some accessible Shepp try the duets with Horace Parlan on Steeplechase.

Superb post btw.

advertisement

Back