advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

pps. In parts, side 1 has surely influenced the Necks.

You're not the only person who thinks so.

For the albums, they allow themselves to listen back to what they've done, embellish certain bits and edit things. In the case of "Vertigo," this led to one of their most striated, least-repetitive albums, as close to their beloved '70s-era Miles Davis as they've ever come. Minutes 20 to 30 are close indeed to a variation on "In a Silent Way," featuring long stretches of Abrahams' electric piano, unaccompanied, followed by a treated version of that piano working in dialogue with Buck manipulating what might be a bag full of Lego blocks.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ca-ms-the-necks-20160403-story.html

You're not the only person who thinks so.

For the albums, they allow themselves to listen back to what they've done, embellish certain bits and edit things. In the case of "Vertigo," this led to one of their most striated, least-repetitive albums, as close to their beloved '70s-era Miles Davis as they've ever come. Minutes 20 to 30 are close indeed to a variation on "In a Silent Way," featuring long stretches of Abrahams' electric piano, unaccompanied, followed by a treated version of that piano working in dialogue with Buck manipulating what might be a bag full of Lego blocks.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ca-ms-the-necks-20160403-story.html

Thankyou paulfromcamden, most enlightening. I have 'Vertigo' but never got into it as much as some of their other works, I really must learn to listen more carefully to music that at first does not appeal.

Bloss

haha drugs,..yes. Hum.
Seriously get Cannonball Adderley ´Somethin´Else´(to name but one) on good vinyl (mono pref), crank uo the volume, sit back and enjoy.

My absolute fave..if you like KOB and IASW,
you'll love this one.

To me Miles Davis best album is not lead by himself.
I'm under the impression not having the crown in SE,
he trippled his efforts to show he should have..

Either way, my #1 over all the moment.

... and flute music drives me up the wall.

Funny you mention it, I felt exactly the same.
Don't get me started with Jethro Tull.. :/

That was until I ran into 'Black Flower: Abbisinia Afterlife'
There is flute parts and I hated them & skipped them over,
the rest I found phantastic.

As it happens; I forgot the skipping after a while
and realized I started to actually like the flute parts
and finally they became my favourite parts of the album.

The entire album is really great, no weak spots.

Here is a pre-view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSDSp0ye6I

No need to go any further than the current CBS/Sony issue of In A Silent Way (link) IMO, it sounds great. If, as it will, it becomes one of your favourite albums, as all Miles Davis albums do, then the Complete In A Silent Way Sessions box is worth a punt as it has some great stuff on it.

I have also gone for the box set, seems good value when compared to top notch cd prices and of course the record.

Looks like my dealer will not sell his record even though he does not play/has not played it since purchasing in 1969, you can't win 'em all.

Bloss

ps:also bought the Necks new double record.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My absolute fave..if you like KOB and IASW,
you'll love this one.

To me Miles Davis best album is not lead by himself.
I'm under the impression not having the crown in SE,
he trippled his efforts to show he should have..

Either way, my #1 over all the moment.

I have tried this and not over keen, will try again though

Bloss

Funny you mention it, I felt exactly the same.
Don't get me started with Jethro Tull.. :/

That was until I ran into 'Black Flower: Abbisinia Afterlife'
There is flute parts and I hated them & skipped them over,
the rest I found phantastic.

As it happens; I forgot the skipping after a while
and realized I started to actually like the flute parts
and finally they became my favourite parts of the album.

The entire album is really great, no weak spots.

Here is a pre-view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSDSp0ye6I

From the snippet, excluding flute sounds, it sound similar to The Comet Is Coming, who I saw at the end of last year. I hear their single is on a Walkers Crisp advert, what these hipsters will do for a bit of dosh. Good luck to 'em.

Bloss

Somethin'else is a tiny bit more complex than KOB to my ears,
but from the point you get into it, it's far more difficult to get an 'overdose'.
Well, to me, that is.. :)

Blackflower definitely no hipsters.
Extremely talented Scandinavian musicians, deep skilled and seriously underknown.
The snipped does of course not reveal the overall depth of this impressive work that I regard their LP to be.
I ordered their LP at their HP & obviously one of the musicians packed it and sent it here.
As far from Walkers Crisp advert level as you can get, I'm afraid.. :)

Somethin'else is a tiny bit more complex than KOB to my ears,
but from the point you get into it, it's far more difficult to get an 'overdose'.
Well, to me, that is.. :)

Blackflower definitely no hipsters.
Extremely talented Scandinavian musicians, deep skilled and seriously underknown.
The snipped does of course not reveal the overall depth of this impressive work that I regard their LP to be.
I ordered their LP at their HP & obviously one of the musicians packed it and sent it here.
As far from Walkers Crisp advert level as you can get, I'm afraid.. :)

I will give this a listen, for sure.

The Comet is Coming are better than you may think, sax player is very good,perhaps you could give their album a listen:)

Bloss

Black Flower / Pulsar from their excellent GHOST RADIO album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHK4nRG93_Y

sounds similar to this ? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh7HtH3cm-M

Is it those 'The Comet is coming' you mean & can you recommend an album or
favourite song to check ?

Black Flower may not be everyone's thing, but for my part
I recommend the vinyl of Ghost Radio, I think their best,yet.
Takes a bit to devellop, sucks me into some mesmerizing head-cinema &
only spits me out again when the needle get's cought in the endless loop at the end.

Absolute cartridge food...Vinyl is excellent,
new album 'Artifacts' out by 27th of January, but not checked yet..

Thanks Torsoi.

I will give Black Flower a serious listen and report back. although this may take a few days.
It is good to know SQ is up there.

TCIC have only released one album and one 12" single that I know of.

Bloss

Thanks Bloss, will check this out ! :)

While we're about it, I remembered what got me sucked into Jazz for a good part in the first place..

Play Bach / Jacques Loussier
This one is his best I know and apart from the outstanding musical quality,
it is an SACD without having this printed on it visably anywhere.
Probably the best sounding CD I own,
Recording quality, fine dynamics and the mastering itself are a level on their own.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00004LCBQ/?tag=pinkfishmed08-21

And what I like even more from plain musical content,
is Loussier's work on Satie.
A bit less attention catching and impressive at first listen,
but from the musical content one of my faves, ever.
Sunday morning music..

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00004LCBQ/?tag=pinkfishmed08-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just got the Complete Sessions this morning. It has to be the least pointless completist collection ever. It's like discovering that your favourite LP is actually a triple, the two extra discs having been somehow overlooked for 20 years, hidden inside a lyrics booklet or something.:):):)

Same here, excellent SQ. Although the vinyl is terrific the cd is as good in its way. Think I may prefer the cd in this case. Think it may take a few plays to totally get into it all.
Thanks to TonyL for the recommendation, not the first time he has told me to buy this.

Bloss

Returned the vinyl to the dealer yesterday (IASW). He played it and afterwards stated that was not his preferred MD's style. So that was his second, and probably last listen in nearly 50 years. You can't win 'em all.

Bloss

It's my lucky day - visited the deeler lunchtime, and knew he had a good few Davis records.
Luckily he has seen/heard my system and let me borrow IASW, 1st press, UK. Looks like not been played as he generally prefers the heavier stuff.
Even Mrs bloss listening.

Bloss

ps, lucky and unlucky day really as only a vinyl copy will suffice now.

pps. In parts, side 1 has surely influenced the Necks.

I've always thought of Hanging Gardens as an In A Silent Way for the 90s.
It's probably my most played Miles album

You might enjoy Joe Zawinul's "Zawinul" - I picked up a Japanese copy on CD from FOPP for £3.00. I bought an old, scratched purple Atlantic copy, £1 without a sleeve from a street market in London years ago. The cd sounds better! It has his version of IASW on it.

Kevin

You might enjoy Joe Zawinul's "Zawinul" - I picked up a Japanese copy on CD from FOPP for £3.00. I bought an old, scratched purple Atlantic copy, £1 without a sleeve from a street market in London years ago. The cd sounds better! It has his version of IASW on it.

Kevin

advertisement

Back