advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

It is just personal taste I can listen to and love A kind of Blue and In a Silent Way by Miles Davis but Bitches Brew considered by some very knowledgeable people to be one of the best and most important Jazz albums of all time is just noise to me, it sounds like 4 or 5 musicians playing completely different random tunes all at the same time.

Has anyone else had difficulty appreciating/enjoying styles of jazz!

Yes, I have.

My taste is fairly wide too, yet as years go by I less and less understand some modern jazz. I know most of ECM's and ACT's catalogue, plus I have colleagues in the Conservatory of music who teach jazz and are nice people, doing concerts and recordings. I more and more see (hear) so-called jazz music (or music labelled or sold under the 'jazz' tag) becoming similar to plain, easy listening, tonally-rooted modern songs; abandoning all experimentalism, becoming repetitive and repeatable, commercial, boring.

A harvest of young piano players appear daily at the horizon, then their music is nothing resembling jazz; but I also have problems with older, celebrated periods of this music: there simply are famous soloists, groups, pieces that to my ears sound like if the musicians are playing by themselves, for themselves, with little or no intention/ability to communicate – and with communicate I don't mean use tonal, pleasant, memorisable tunes, but compose/play for an audience, for the future, for others – like musicians from Frescobaldi to Stockhausen or Donatoni did, independent of the grammar and syntax adopted.

I am beginning to believe that most people today 'love jazz' because they have grown bored with 'classical' music, are not satisfied with pop and rock and abhor 'contemporary classical', as some call it; but I sometimes grow desperately bored with jazz – be it Coltrane or Davis or Mehldau – and after a few minutes I have to go back to a 'classical' station, where the voice of the 5 centuries of musicians with whom I grew up never ceases to communicate something.

Dear blossomchris, you are not alone.
M

Bitches Brew is very dense due to effectively having two rhythm sections, but stick with it, in that murk some real beauty lurks, plus a whole boatload of funk! Picking the right master of this one is important as some early ones really are rather poor, e.g. the CBS fat-case issue with the blue boarder is really dull and lifeless. I'm not sure what the current issue is, but it will either be the very good Japanese mastering used in the Complete Studio Albums or Perfect Miles box, or the anniversary remix, either would be an upgrade.

PS I keep plugging it and will continue doing so until everyone with hardy any Miles buys a copy, so once again here is The Perfect Miles Davis Collection. Just buy it folks!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes, I have.

Thank heavens.

Your post has helped sooth my frustrations Maxtbertola.

I think your assumption of being bored by particular types of music rings true for me. I am enjoying some music that I missed first time around though have no idea how long this fad will last for me.

Not sure if the Dear was for blossom Dearie or not. It was a nickname from school, a rather foolish pal decided that as I enjoyed black music so much he started to call me blossom, believing she was black. Never got round to telling him otherwise, he passed away in his mid 30's.

Bloss

No, I didn't know Margrete Blossom Dearie until I googled her, a few minutes ago.
It was just a way of underlining the fact that I think I share some of your feelings about some jazz.

M

Bitches Brew is very dense due to effectively having two rhythm sections, but stick with it, in that murk some real beauty lurks, plus a whole boatload of funk! Picking the right master of this one is important as some early ones really are rather poor, e.g. the CBS fat-case issue with the blue boarder is really dull and lifeless. I'm not sure what the current issue is, but it will either be the very good Japanese mastering used in the Complete Studio Albums or Perfect Miles box, or the anniversary remix, either would be an upgrade.

PS I keep plugging it and will continue doing so until everyone with hardy any Miles buys a copy, so once again here is The Perfect Miles Davis Collection. Just buy it folks!

Can only agree - I have an aged vinyl copy, the blue fatcase and the 40year anniversary version. The latter really opens up the music compared to the other two copies.

Its a much more "difficult" record for tentative jazz fans than "In A Silent Way" before it and "Jack Johnson" that followed

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Can't say I blame you for skipping through some of this.
My use of a car has lessened recently, so listening a bit more at home now, especially during the day, wife at work, so not the best time for me.
For some reason I consider jazz to be an evening/night listen which can cause some discontent with other dwellers.

Bloss

In fact my first appreciation of jazz was due to wearing headphones. It was Mahavishnu Orchestra a long long time ago.

Jazz influences are all over the place. What rock/pop/soul/funk does OP Listen to now? Then it might be easier to find antecedents Sorry if this has already been covered

Thank heavens thought I would never get to appreciate Miles Davis. Recently got into 'A Kind of Blue' and after more attempts I am enjoying 'In A Silent Way.'

Question is which cd version of silent. (nothing over £10 please) has reasonable SQ, I have had a look at discogs and unable to select/identify appropriate version.

Any tips gratefully received, but not for TonyL box set please even though it is great value, at my speed it could take me several lifetimes to digest.

Bloss

Heard 'Kind of Blue' in an amazing demo in 2004,
was utterly fascinated, bought the record and at home: nothing.
I didn't get a thing, had no idea how this could have been the fascinating music I had heard.

Thought it was the LP12, bought another deck.
It was not the LP12.

Got different speakers and realized that those would work absolutely stunning with other amps, but not Naim.

Heard amazing jazztunes through 30€ s/h speakers with an ExposureX
and then my active Naim Isobarik didn't get it done,,not even almost.

Dropped the Isobariks, moved out the Naim,
got a good pre-power combi for the new speakers..

And now it all works.
I'm mostly in the 50-60 years and prefer piano to the following organ time.

I don't yet get Miles 'Bitches Brew' yet & would even say I don't like it,
but maybe that's a matter of time, no idea.

Billie Holiday...no chance I got even a HINT of what the people were getting so excited about with my Linn speakers via my Naim setup. (I will not say all Naim/ Linn bc I did not have all.)
No clue...a puzzle, and a boring one on top of that.

The Kan is said to do voices good,
but here I'm tempted to say 'good' is not good enough,
only a phantastic mid-treble combination reveals he special magic in the voice that makes Holiday, or, say Sarah Vaughan.

Strangly or sadly..even an old tube radio does it better..than my old HiFi setup.

It is mental training, getting used to, too for a good part.
But I learned that certain hifi components can make your progress considerably harder, depending on what you use.
And some- in my case- denied me access rightout in total to certain artists.

That's quite indiviual, if your mind is musically more talented you may get things easier while I don't.

Due this, while Linn once said 'start with a good deck',
I am often tempted to think: Start with a good speaker' today.
Find good matching amps and the rest is relatively peanuts.

I hear less hifi and more music now then ever before.
A recording doesn't have to be top, can be mono, be like one old microphone on stage and go...but the swing of the band is coming over
in light openness, and not like under some pressure as before.

My faves: Miles Davis in Somethin' else, then Kind of Blue
Kenny Burrell/ Midnight Blue
Monk is always great, & the perfect Jazz collection from Columbia is a real bank
vfm beyond unreal.

I consider Coltrane not easy to understand, don't break your head if you don't get that straight..
I get it a tiny bit so I can listen and enjoy occationally, but is far from my dearest music yet, despite I know he's good.

ps1: I got the perfect Miles Davis connection, it's great.
ps2: Miles red trumpet is rediculous.. ;)

No need to go any further than the current CBS/Sony issue of In A Silent Way (link) IMO, it sounds great. If, as it will, it becomes one of your favourite albums, as all Miles Davis albums do, then the Complete In A Silent Way Sessions box is worth a punt as it has some great stuff on it.

Yes, I am also a no Naim owner.

The reason I asked for sq quality on a cd of 'In a silent Way' is the original vinyl does not come cheap and if I get into the record I would buy an original record when one crops up. I have in the past made errors with some, not cheapo, record purchases.

Bloss

Bloss

Ok; maybe you could try some Jimmy Smith or Kenny Burrell (together on Home Cooking, which is quite bluesy, or Midnight Special or Back at the Chicken Shack), or Charles Mingus' immortal Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul from the Ah Um album, which is Gospel-inspired and has amazing drive. If that doesn't work maybe you're immune and you can save a fortune on Blue Note, Verve etc.
This sounds sensible, the Chicken shack LP is so laid back, don't see how anyone wouldn't like it.
Alber Ayler is horrible, make your ears bleed. Really, extreme music. Oliver Nelson 'Blues & the abstract truth' is another easy listen, but not easy listening, if you get me.

"why cant I get all jazz" ?

I think it is too much to ask for a person to like ALL "jazz".

The "ALL" part is the problem

I think the problem is that too much music is called "Jazz" , and one word cant possible cover all the sub genres.

Albert Ayler is not the same as Ben Webster.
Loius Armstrong is not the same as Bitches Brew Miles Davis.
Kind of Blue Miles Davis is not the same as Tutu Miles Davis.

It is comparable to saying I dont like Baroque, so I dont like classical.
Or I dont like Webern, so Im afraid modern classical isnt for me.

"classical" covers a huge range of music. So does " Jazz"

There are huge resources now to find the music you MAY like, ( You Tube etc )so simply find the sub genre that suits.

Type in Jazz sax, or Jazz trumpet or even a name you may have heard.
Try it, explore. Find stuff. put in a little effort.

It is worth a little effort, and Im certain there is something for all within this world of "jazz"

Ps if you find a cheesy sax player with a perm, and he sounds like 15 spoons of sugar in your tea. trust me... that isnt jazz. thats Kenny G..... he is in a category all to himself.

I started this nearly 5 years ago, and at that time I was struggling with appreciating Miles Davis.
Last year I got KOB and this year IASW has hit home.

Progress is slow round these parts, I am in no rush, just pleased to add some more listenable music to the collection.

Bloss

No need to go any further than the current CBS/Sony issue of In A Silent Way (link) IMO, it sounds great. If, as it will, it becomes one of your favourite albums, as all Miles Davis albums do, then the Complete In A Silent Way Sessions box is worth a punt as it has some great stuff on it.

Just got the Complete Sessions this morning. It has to be the least pointless completist collection ever. It's like discovering that your favourite LP is actually a triple, the two extra discs having been somehow overlooked for 20 years, hidden inside a lyrics booklet or something.:):):)

It's my lucky day - visited the deeler lunchtime, and knew he had a good few Davis records.
Luckily he has seen/heard my system and let me borrow IASW, 1st press, UK. Looks like not been played as he generally prefers the heavier stuff.
Even Mrs bloss listening.

Bloss

ps, lucky and unlucky day really as only a vinyl copy will suffice now.

pps. In parts, side 1 has surely influenced the Necks.

advertisement

Back