advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

I'd recommend going to see some Jazz live to begin with. For one, you will be completely focussed on the music being produced. You may find yourself connecting with the moment the music is being created in.
Good jazz is all about letting the music flow from the spirit, rather than rehearsed playing. And the spititual interconnection between the players, and sometimes the audience.
Once you experience this happening, you may be able to sit at home and conjure up that kind of atmosphere in your mind while listening, and then you may appreciate it.

I think this is good advice, in fact we were up west yesterday and perused the forthcoming attractions boards at Ronnie Scott's, but not knowing any of the performers made me realise I should listen first, find something I like and then see live.

Bloss

I think I have fairly wide tastes in music but for the life of me I struggle with some jazz

I like some of the Necks,EST,Les Mcann,Preservation town hall jazz band, Ry Cooder-jazz album, moondog and one Roland Kirk lp

I have listened to Miles Davies, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Count Basie
plus other jazz classics, I also listen to them in the car but all to no avail as there maybe just a couple of tracks I enjoy

Any Ideas for new jazz pleas

Has anyone else had difficulty appreciating/enjoying styles of jazz!
Yes

Miles Davies passes me by,

I gave Miles another go on Sunday evening, one of many many, times, i really did try to get this, to get involved, it left me flat, i felt no emotion when listening to this, It sounded like noise to me, i get much more emotion when listening to Radiohead's street spirit, what are others hearing here, do they get emotion from this, it's just so dull to my ears.

Don't fear jazz :)

As Dave says,don't fear jazz. Post 133
I've got several friends in the same position as the OP, I really should get into jazz. Why!!, if you don't like it,, you don't like it, no big deal, find something you do like. As was said very early in the thread find something you do like and enjoy.

What I tend to do is to find a bit of jazz(in my case) and decide whether I like the lead or some other instrument - base, drum, vibes, Fide who is playing it and look for something else that they have done, simples.

Another way to find things is by label, Bluenote was mentioned, and I would go along with that, but would add ECM ( usually good recordings but can be a bit strange) or ACT, and take it from there.

Anyway enjoy your music, that's what it's all about.

+1 for the tread by the way.

I think this is good advice, in fact we were up west yesterday and perused the forthcoming attractions boards at Ronnie Scott's, but not knowing any of the performers made me realise I should listen first, find something I like and then see live.

Bloss

FWIW Archie Shepp is playing at Ronnie Scotts in a few months.

I was hoping/dreading your response at the same time.
I wish I had paid more attention to the snippet. knowing my previous attempts to try and get into jazz it may well be your least favourite period, the 1980's onward, perhaps a less complicated/abstract style? easier for my involvement.

One big clue is the keyboard sound, the 80s stuff being awash with very 80s sounding synths and drum sounds etc, almost to a Trevor Horn type extent. Have a listen to Tutu, his biggest seller of that era, and you'll see what I mean. Loads of slap-bass too (Marcus Miller). Tutu is pretty good, I bought it when it first came out so was one of my first Miles Davis albums. It is a stunning recording too, the vinyl sounds amazing!

Tutu is pretty good, I bought it when it first came out so was one of my first Miles Davis albums. It is a stunning recording too, the vinyl sounds amazing!

I play Miles most days but, although I bought Tutu when it came out, I've hardly put it on since then. Easily my least played Miles vinyl. A task for tonight!

Kevin

I play Miles most days but, although I bought Tutu when it came out, I've hardly put it on since then. Easily my least played Miles vinyl. A task for tonight!

Kevin

The ride cymbal on the title track is one of those hifi moments I permit myself

Not reading all 12 pages so apologies if this is a repeat: maybe listening in a car is not the ideal way to get into something as complex as jazz.

Not reading all 12 pages so apologies if this is a repeat: maybe listening in a car is not the ideal way to get into something as complex as jazz.

Can't say I blame you for skipping through some of this.
My use of a car has lessened recently, so listening a bit more at home now, especially during the day, wife at work, so not the best time for me.
For some reason I consider jazz to be an evening/night listen which can cause some discontent with other dwellers.

Bloss

My wife is convinced the piece of Miles Davis we heard was from a film review on the radio. I understand there are 2 films about him going the rounds. Think I will go and see the latest film and hopefully reconnect with this piece of music, as I am not feeling it with recommended suggestions (sure this is my fault re inadequate description)

I have got into some of Kendrick Lamar, Kamasi Washington and Polar Bear recent offerings but not sure if they are Jazz. Never understood what constitutes some genres in music.

Bloss

I have to disagree with Wacko. Over the years I have found that the radio in the car has made me appreciate first classical music, many decades ago, and then even opera. I think, for me, it is that it plays of its own accord, as it were, and since I'm driving and thinking of other things the music just filters through to my inner something or other and then I realise that I'm really enjoying it.
But I suppose we are all different.

P.S.
You will never be able to "like" or "love" or "enjoy" ALL jazz, or ALL classical music, or all kinds of art or food or sports. So why not just concentrate on what you like?

P.S.
You will never be able to "like" or "love" or "enjoy" ALL jazz, or ALL classical music, or all kinds of art or food or sports. So why not just concentrate on what you like?

I do accept your point except in the case of Davis because of his many styles and sheer extent of his catalogue I should at least get a few, finding them is the problem.
I hate giving up

Bloss

I do accept your point except in the case of Davis because of his many styles and sheer extent of his catalogue I should at least get a few, finding them is the problem.
I hate giving up

Bloss

It took me 25 years to genuinely become a jazz 'fan' and also then crucially able to discern what I liked and didn't. I don't mean 25 years of constant listening but not liking it, I mean more like trying it, putting it away and coming back to it later. For me a band called Tortoise became the link I needed - they are jazz/rock/funk/electronic from Chicago. So after 15 years listening to Tortoise suddenly I found 'Bitches Brew' didn't sound so weird! Also as mentioned in other posts, going to see decent live jazz is really the best.

Personally I would recommend the late 50s & early 60s as your starting point. This is where you get great recordings and the jazz is in the 'classic' form of play the tune / band members take a solo / return to the tune / job done!

You really can't go wrong with Herbie Hancock from this era (check out the Blue Note 75 reissues if you like vinyl) and you also have classic Coltrane / Miles Davis / Joe Henderson / Bill Evans / Freddie Hubbard and many more.

p.s. I agree about the car being the worst place to listen to jazz. You lose all the important detail and interplay between instruments, leaving usually just annoying hi-hat and ear ripping trumpet!

I read a report a few years ago which stated that more road accidents are caused by people listening to jazz than any other form of music, just a thought from someone who listens to jazz.

The first jazz I loved was on the Red Hot on Impulse compilation, tracks by Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders. They remain the only jazz artists that my friends who do not do jazz like.

I can see how someone might not get on with any Miles at all: for all the re-invention over the decades all of it is very Miles.

I played Dave Brubeck the other day as requested by a friend. Thought it was ok, will play this again.
However, now we are listening to Miles Daviswhilst munching dinner, at long last I may be enjoying his music.

Bloss

Kind of Blue. I will play this again for sure, but only on record format.
I will sample some of his other works and maybe try another lp (pre and with food)

Bloss

advertisement

Back