advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
I think I have fairly wide tastes in music but for the life of me I struggle with some jazz

I like some of the Necks,EST,Les Mcann,Preservation town hall jazz band, Ry Cooder-jazz album, moondog and one Roland Kirk lp

I have listened to Miles Davies, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Count Basie
plus other jazz classics, I also listen to them in the car but all to no avail as there maybe just a couple of tracks I enjoy

Any Ideas for new jazz pleas

Has anyone else had difficulty appreciating/enjoying styles of jazz!

I like some of the Necks,EST,Les Mcann,Preservation town hall jazz band, Ry Cooder-jazz album, moondog and one Roland Kirk lp

Given how much variety there is in that list, I think the chances of anyone suggesting something on the basis of anything but complete guesswork is minimal. But if you like The Necks try Miles's In A Silent Way, and maybe some recent Supersilent.

But "jazz", like all generics, encompasses a huge amount of different musics.

I would add some Mingus into the mix - try Blues & Roots (this was the gateway drug for me). However you may just not like jazz very much!

John Coltrane, 1959 - 1961, before he started going mystical, should be worth trying.

But I've come to the conclusion that one cannot like everything. I've recently accepted that I DO NOT LIKE OPERA unless its Mozart or isolated arias from other composers.

If you don't enjoy Ellington, Basie, Brubeck etc but like Roland Kirk and Moondog maybe check out some other less straight-ahead stuff:

Ornette - Shape Of Jazz To Come
Alice Coltrane - maybe Journey in Satchidananda?
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

Or if you like Les McCann maybe...

Bobby Timmons - This here is...
Junior Mance - Live Village Vanguard

Nowt wrong with saying you can't get into it.

I am baffled at anyone who thinks Scott Walker is worth a light now but apparently some think he's great.

haha drugs,..yes. Hum.
Seriously get Cannonball Adderley ´Somethin´Else´(to name but one) on good vinyl (mono pref), crank uo the volume, sit back and enjoy.

If you don't enjoy Ellington, Basie, Brubeck etc but like Roland Kirk and Moondog maybe check out some other less straight-ahead stuff:

Ornette - Shape Of Jazz To Come
Alice Coltrane - maybe Journey in Satchidananda?
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

Or if you like Les McCann maybe...

Bobby Timmons - This here is...
Junior Mance - Live Village Vanguard

I can see where you are coming from and this will give me encouragement to try your suggestions
thanks Chris

haha drugs,..yes. Hum.
Seriously get Cannonball Adderley ´Somethin´Else´(to name but one) on good vinyl (mono pref), crank uo the volume, sit back and enjoy.

I have this on cd only but will give it another shot

thanks,chris

But I've come to the conclusion that one cannot like everything. I've recently accepted that I DO NOT LIKE OPERA unless its Mozart or isolated arias from other composers.

You are fortunate to be able to accept this and I have in other genres, but with jazz because of its influence maybe deserves more listening effort from me

advertisement

Back