1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Naim Powerline Lite

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bas V, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

I am confused, surely I would have listened with my ears to have reported this answer, wouldn't I?... sorry maybe I am being thick here.

2. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

My question was about listening with just your ears - that is, attempting to exclude other than auditory factors (such as by using double blind test protocols).

3. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

Correct but in my case I said I will have none.

4. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Oh I see, I listened with my ears only, well my Dad was there too, so I guess his ears also.

I recently compared my aftermarket cable against a Naim Powerline and mine was quite a margin better, which in turn were miles better than the stock Naim cable. At over £200 less than the Naim Powerline, I'm quite happy with my choice.

5. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

They amputated my left leg when I asked if Naim were bringing out an updated DAC.

6. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

LOL.

7. Julf

What was your method for excluding your possible expectation bias?

What arrangements did you use to allow instantaneous switching - or were you relying on auditory memory?

8. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I can't speak for others but I counter expectation bias by expecting the exact opposite of what I expect. That way if I hear a difference — whether an improvement or degradation — I know the difference is real because I didn't expect it.

Then, as a double check, I expect the opposite again (so back to where I started) to see if the difference I heard (or not) goes away (or comes back).

I do this several times — flipping my expectations back and forth — keeping score on a tally sheet using a checkmark (√) if I expected to not hear a difference but in fact heard one or expected to hear a difference but in fact didn't hear one. The important thing is to keep flipping expectations back and forth until your mind is so confused that it's only capable of hearing real audible differences — or perhaps failing to hear real audible differences. Where the insanity leads is not as important as becoming insane. You want to be crazy. Batshit crazy if possible.

Then, after a while, I watch Star Trek, because I love that show. Or I make funny memes using a picture of my cat.

[​IMG]

Joe

9. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I could well believe that.

Naim would never remove a customers arm and impede their ability to take their wallet out and pay for all that lovely foo.

10. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

And then the spanish inquisition turns up and corrupts all your hard work as you really weren't expecting that.

11. Joe P

Dude,

I did not expect that.

Joe

12. Julf

I didn't expect that!

13. Joe P

My cat iz smart.

Joe

14. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

donde esta la horta?

15. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

I forgot to mention they nailed my right hand to the gatepost. Luckily I'm left-handed so all was well.

16. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

I assume you are just trying to take the pee, but I'll humour you.

My expectation was that due to the hearty £200 price difference, the Naim would sound better, but I was wrong.

Relying on auditory memory.

17. Julf

Thank you for the clarification.

18. Bodger

Bodger Member

Bit of a storm in a tea cup. 95 quid is nowt given our chosen hobby. Hi-Fi is an expansive game. More so for decent kit. Get over it. If you can try before you buy then great. For the price it's hardly worth going down the shops for. What other upgrade costs less than a ton?
    Dave

19. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Depends if it's an upgrade over the standard supplied lead, I would prefer to spend the £95 on a night out down at the pub :D

20. Bodger

Bodger Member

You must be a heavy tipper or a serious drinker. Either way, I have to agree.