1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Naim Powerline Lite

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bas V, Feb 14, 2017.

1. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Me too, but at my age there would be £80 change to spend on vinyl.....:(

2. horta

horta Siliceous member from Janus VI

NO VEGETABLE I.

3. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

What's your point?

4. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Aha but the only reason your paying £95 for this cable is it's by Naim, not because it's any good or worth the money.

5. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

6. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Don't be sorry. You've clearly never heard of marketing.

7. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

To find out if you have made serious effort to verify the differences you hear.

Just to be clear, I am not saying you need to. There is nothing wrong with not being interested in verifying what you hear - but it helps me personally decide if I should spend time trying to figure out if the cables make a real, physical difference or not in your system.

8. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Fair enough, I personally don't have that level of time.

9. Julf

Entirely understandable - thus my "thank you for the clarification". There was no irony in that statement.

10. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

I respect that, each to their own.

11. heidcase music

heidcase music pfm Member

First time for a while I've read a thread from start to here superb keep it going guys
    Julf you are different class

12. Julf

Uh, thanks... I was actually thinking "oh well, but this is the Internet, this is not how it should go - we should keep hurling abuse at each other until either someone invokes Godwin's Law or a moderator steps in" :)

13. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I thought I had stepped in by posting a picture of my cat.

Perhaps my moderation is too subtle — or, perhaps, i iz not smart like my cat, who iz smart.

Joe

14. rich46

rich46 pfm Member

100s metres of cu. cable and thne 1m of naim cable makes it all better

15. Julf

Yes, hint was taken...

16. Joe P

Julf,

Just trying to save some wear and tear on the ol' pfm server by stopping another subjectivist-objectivist debate. Every time one pops up I wonder, is this THE ONE — the objectivist-subjectivist debate that finally resolves the issue once and for all?

Then I think, perhaps we should let it run so the issue is resolved and we can move on to other things. Then I remember something a former boss told me: Joe, if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass a hoppin', but they don't so they do.

Maybe I stepped in to soon, as this could have been the thread that grew wings so to speak. But I'm guessing it probably wouldn't have. It likely would have bumped its ass a-hoppin' just like all other similar threads.

Joe

17. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

That's like Godwin's law for cable threads!

18. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

Nice one Joe.

Love your kitty-cat.

19. Joe P

She iz smart, Rusty.

Joe

20. Julf

Of course that will never happen - the reason is clear for anyone who watched the debate between Bill Nye ("The Science Guy" at NPR) and noted creationist Ken Ham at the point when they were asked "what would it take for you to change your mind?".

In this case it really wasn't my intention to start yet another objectivist-subjectivist debate, but simply ascertain, for those of us who care, the nature of the evidence in this particular case.

Just like Godwin's Law can be misused, I feel that we shouldn't immediately jump to moderation as soon as someone mentions something that could be taken as objectivist (seems subjectivist positions never cause moderation action - but as soon as someone objects to them, the sceptre of moderation descends).