advertisement

New Naim Powerline Lite

I am confused, surely I would have listened with my ears to have reported this answer, wouldn't I?... sorry maybe I am being thick here.

My question was about listening with just your ears - that is, attempting to exclude other than auditory factors (such as by using double blind test protocols).

My question was about listening with just your ears - that is, attempting to exclude other than auditory factors (such as by using double blind test protocols).

Oh I see, I listened with my ears only, well my Dad was there too, so I guess his ears also.

I recently compared my aftermarket cable against a Naim Powerline and mine was quite a margin better, which in turn were miles better than the stock Naim cable. At over £200 less than the Naim Powerline, I'm quite happy with my choice.

Oh I see, I listened with my ears only, well my Dad was there too, so I guess his ears also.

What was your method for excluding your possible expectation bias?

I recently compared my aftermarket cable against a Naim Powerline and mine was quite a margin better, which in turn were miles better than the stock Naim cable. At over £200 less than the Naim Powerline, I'm quite happy with my choice.

What arrangements did you use to allow instantaneous switching - or were you relying on auditory memory?

I can't speak for others but I counter expectation bias by expecting the exact opposite of what I expect. That way if I hear a difference — whether an improvement or degradation — I know the difference is real because I didn't expect it.

Then, as a double check, I expect the opposite again (so back to where I started) to see if the difference I heard (or not) goes away (or comes back).

I do this several times — flipping my expectations back and forth — keeping score on a tally sheet using a checkmark (√) if I expected to not hear a difference but in fact heard one or expected to hear a difference but in fact didn't hear one. The important thing is to keep flipping expectations back and forth until your mind is so confused that it's only capable of hearing real audible differences — or perhaps failing to hear real audible differences. Where the insanity leads is not as important as becoming insane. You want to be crazy. Batshit crazy if possible.

Then, after a while, I watch Star Trek, because I love that show. Or I make funny memes using a picture of my cat.

mc4zyg.jpg

Joe

They amputated my left leg when I asked if Naim were bringing out an updated DAC.

I could well believe that.

Naim would never remove a customers arm and impede their ability to take their wallet out and pay for all that lovely foo.

I can't speak for others but I counter expectation bias by expecting the exact opposite of what I expect. That way if I hear a difference — whether an improvement or degradation — I know the difference is real because I didn't expect it.

Then, as a double check, I expect the opposite again (so back to where I started) to see if the difference I heard (or not) goes away (or comes back).

I do this several times — flipping my expectations back and forth — keeping score on a tally sheet using a checkmark (√) if I expected to not hear a difference but in fact heard one or expected to hear a difference but in fact didn't hear one. The important thing is to keep flipping expectations back and forth until your mind is so confused that it's only capable of hearing real audible differences — or perhaps failing to hear real audible differences. Where the insanity leads is not as important as becoming insane. You want to be crazy. Batshit crazy if possible.

And then the spanish inquisition turns up and corrupts all your hard work as you really weren't expecting that.

I could well believe that.

Naim would never remove a customers arm and impede their ability to take their wallet out and pay for all that lovely foo.
I forgot to mention they nailed my right hand to the gatepost. Luckily I'm left-handed so all was well.

What was your method for excluding your possible expectation bias?

What arrangements did you use to allow instantaneous switching - or were you relying on auditory memory?

I assume you are just trying to take the pee, but I'll humour you.

My expectation was that due to the hearty £200 price difference, the Naim would sound better, but I was wrong.

Relying on auditory memory.

Bit of a storm in a tea cup. 95 quid is nowt given our chosen hobby. Hi-Fi is an expansive game. More so for decent kit. Get over it. If you can try before you buy then great. For the price it's hardly worth going down the shops for. What other upgrade costs less than a ton?
Dave

Bit of a storm in a tea cup. 95 quid is nowt given our chosen hobby. Hi-Fi is an expansive game. More so for decent kit. Get over it. If you can try before you buy then great. For the price it's hardly worth going down the shops for. What other upgrade costs less than a ton?
Dave

Depends if it's an upgrade over the standard supplied lead, I would prefer to spend the £95 on a night out down at the pub :D

advertisement

Back