1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Naim Powerline Lite

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bas V, Feb 14, 2017.

1. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Spike it's Entirly feasible what you say, Naim site and its moderators often remove and ban posters on their site. I find the naim forum very Stasi like at times, after all naim has become a form of religion.

2. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Indeed; even I managed to get banned at one point & I'm a Naim user!

3. Spike

Spike pfm Member

This was almost 10 years ago when it was introduced. At the time I was running a four box naim system and using an Aro. Indeed I still have a wonderful Naim NAIT. I recall suggesting that I should remove the captive lead fix an IEC socket and this would sound better!!
    I have no problem with Naim or any manufacturer selling these. I just object to the "science". YPYMYTYC.

4. Kraus

Kraus Member

You may - and I will. With a full apology.

I'm afraid I was overconfident that I would have remembered any such scuffle and rather took my lack of recall for absence from reality.

What was you name over there - and who banned you? Seems draconian if this was the full substance of the incident.

5. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Here we go...

6. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

The naim forum is not a democracy, they can ban who they want. On pfm I'm pretty sure discussing disputes with other sites is against AUP.

7. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Kraus,

An utter aside in a discusion I'm not part of - but chapeau for such courtesy on an audio forum!

8. Bas V

Bas V pfm Member

Yup. A very expensive plug. But it makes a massive difference! :D

9. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

I did look closer and all I could clearly make out was the term Kema Keur. Interestingly, it's a quality protocol/certification process for electrical products which is apparently recognized world-wide.

Wonder what that requires and what it means?

10. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

KEMA is a Dutch organisation (originally set up by a bunch of power utilities, but now owned by Det Norske Veritas in Norway) that does electrical safety testing / certification. KEMA certification is often a procurement requirement for electrical equipment. One of my companies went through the certification process for their power monitoring and measurement devices - one of our engineers spent 3 days at KEMA in Arnhem.

It has absolutely nothing to do with audio, it is purely an electrical safety certification.

"Keur" is Dutch for choice or acceptance.

Edit: forgot the "so what" - KEMA certification is voluntary, and is usually only done for volume products. No way someone like Naim would go through that process for a power lead or plug. Thus the power plug is probably a standard consumer appliance plug.

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

This. It's pretty easy to use forums like this which are not moderated to a manufacturer's commercial interest. Group think is less likely and experience is broader. Just don't exepect as much slavish agreement. :D

12. rich46

rich46 pfm Member

all expensive mains cable are a joke,yes I did try. screening is good, reasonable csa . and well put together with a good fit plug . tops £50 sorted

13. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Before calling them a joke, have you tried any of them? This one doesn't count because it's a standard cable with a fancy plug and badge, but some of the aftermarket cables make a lot of difference. For me my recent power cable purchase was as big an improvement as buying a new box.

14. Julf

Have you tried listening to then with just your ears?

15. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

I have been of the opinion that when you are being ripped off the person doing the ripping off has to tell you they are doing so.
    Its done usually in a subliminal way, and the person doing it is probably not aware, some kind of Freudian off loading of guilt trip.
    I felt the £666 price for a single box for a NAP 500 amp fell squarely in to this category.

16. Jonn

Jonn pfm Member

Even more of a rip off if the box was empty :D

17. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Listening to what?

I have heard the standard, free naim cables which aren't much cop, yes.

18. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

"I'm gonna sell you this item but, before you buy it, I must warn you it's a rip-off". "Splendid! In that case, I'll have two!"

19. Julf

I was referring to this:

20. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I got a 7 day ban for offering to lend someone a cheap CA640p phono stage as they couldn't afford to buy one as well as a TT.