advertisement

Fuji X-Pro1

Thanks, Cliff.

The X-Pro1 picture looks spiffy, but I have to say that the white balance on the M9 is disappointing compared with the other cameras.

Joe

So, here are the thoughts so far

1) Compare to the M9, the X-Pro1 is a lot lighter. Even the 35mm F1.4 glass is lighter than my old Brass / chrome Summicron (F2). Split image rangefinder focussing is very precise on the M9 provided that the lens / camera aren't out of calibration. I used to get the odd back-focus issue on one or two lenses. The autofocus on the X-Pro1 is very precise and you can use any location in the image as a focus point (ok they aren't infinite, but at least they are spread evenly unlike the Nikon bodies)

2) Compared to the X100, the thing is much faster - faster to boot up (1 second or so versus 5 secs to one minute for the X100 depending on the speed of your memory card)

3) Image quality I think reflects the quality of the Fujinon lens. Certainly it is worthy of the same name as the lens on my GW690 Mark 3

4) Descrete ? - It's a similar size to the M9 and as such, just as discrete for street photography - autofocus helps for shooting from the hip too.

5) Best comparison - I think the image sharpness is comparable to the Nikon D3X. The pixel density is similar to the Nikon D7000, so you can see how the X-Pro1 fares against those two - and I think it wins my some margin too.

6) Recommended ? I think the camera would suit anyone who doesn't need a zoom (the zoom lens is coming later in the year I hear, but that would ruin the perfect lines of a small camera with a discrete looking lens). I reckon this camera could easily become a standard second camera for wedding photographers looking for IQ and a non intimidating look for candid shots.

7) Who wouldn't want one - its probably not really a sports camera, but you could easily use it for taking shots of motorsport or mountain biking. It lacks the reach for football / Tennis grounds / arenas

8) Best Fuji since ... well, since the S5 Pro, funnily enough. I'm looking forward to getting the same lovely straight out of camera portrait jpegs that used to be the stock in trade of the S5

I'm increasingly convinced an X-Pro 1 will make a very good parallel digital body to the M9 (it might usurp it even?). My thoughts are around just a 35/1.4 lens and maybe an M adaptor at some point. Even though I think most af cameras are better with their own lenses, the ability to use my 85 and 135 on the x-pro is interesting.

Anyone want to buy a Canon 70-200 f4 L IS or 100 macro? Or even a Zeiss Distagon ZF 2/35?

Mike

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. A couple of folk I know have been knocking it.

Very impressed with the x pro though.

Cliff,

How would you respond to (mainly forum) critics but also Kai at DigitialRev who suggest that the autofocus is inaccurate and images soft with all but the 60mm lens.

I am torn between getting a Canon 5D Mk3 as my one and only camera or an X-Pro 1 as a companion camera to my Canon 7D.

Thanks,

Rob

Cliff,

How would you respond to (mainly forum) critics but also Kai at DigitialRev who suggest that the autofocus is inaccurate and images soft with all but the 60mm lens.

I am torn between getting a Canon 5D Mk3 as my one and only camera or an X-Pro 1 as a companion camera to my Canon 7D.

Thanks,

Rob

Not sure what they mean by inaccurate autofocus. I've only got the 35mm 1.4 lens so far and it certainly isn't soft. It's a typical Fujinon IMO.

Hi, Cliff.

No lens, just the body.

The X-Pro1 is smaller than I expected based on pictures I've seen here and elsewhere. It fits very nicely in my big manly hands and I could see it being a nice walk-around camera even with an extra lens or two.

I'm very tempted -- it really is a beautiful camera -- but as I'd want all three lenses the total price would a bit more than just a D800. A D800 also needs lenses, but I have a bag of those already.

It's moot right now, as I need to save more cabbage. I'm just mulling over possible options to get me through my mid-life crisis. (For financial reasons and carbon footprints, a red Ferrari or silver Porsche is not on the list.)

Joe

Joe, have you thought about using a lens adaptor and using existing / cheaper lenses on the X-Pro? You'd most probably lose auto focus, but I'm sure you can handle that. Even if you end up buying the Fuji lenses later, it's an option for spreading the cost.

Anex,

I'm just mulling over several options right now and will probably flip-flop 30 times before coming to a decision.

The contenders at the moment are Fuji X-Pro1 and two or three lenses, a D800 or an XPan with the 45mm.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Joe

The Xpan is nice, but I wouldn't want it as my main camera.
I'd planned to buy a Sony Nex-7 to use with my Zuiko lenses next week, but now I'm tempted by the D800 with an adaptor. Hmmm...

Anex,

I'm just mulling over several options right now and will probably flip-flop 30 times before coming to a decision.

The contenders at the moment are Fuji X-Pro1 and two or three lenses, a D800 or an XPan with the 45mm.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Xpan is extremely nice, but a niche. The X-Pro looks lovely, but the D800 looks to me like a serious contender for best digicam currently available around its price point.

advertisement

Back