1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuji X-Pro1

Discussion in 'photo' started by cliffpatte, Jan 10, 2012.

1. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

2. guybat

guybat [+]

Very nice. Now go and take some pix with it.

[actually I think the X100 looks a tad cooler... the X-Pro looks looks oddly asymetric]

3. firestorm

firestorm pfm Member

Whats it like then ?

4. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Yes, pics pls. How is the handling? How do you set the aperture and manual focus? Is the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R really have a 35mm focal length or is that 35mm equivalent (i.e. its a 23 mm)?

5. cliffpatte

[​IMG]
    Tulip by cliffpatte, on Flickr

Guy - the X100 is dinky. I think the Fujinon 35mm on the X-Pro1 is way cool

CHun - nice, snappy autofocus, straightforward main controls, excellent jpegs out of the box in default mode

Dan - real 35mm - ie effectively a bit narrower than the field of view of a 50mm lens on a 35mm Full Frame camera. See pic for example of pics

6. cliffpatte

real aperture ring on the lens

haven't played with MF yet.

7. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Cliff,

Wow, the colours sure are spiffy. Is the tulip pic straight out of the camera without any processing?

Joe

8. cliffpatte

yup, that's an ISO800 shot, unprocessed jpeg, auto white balance

9. dan m

dan m pfm Member

EXIF says "Film Mode - F2/Fujichrome" so maybe there's some processing involved?

10. cliffpatte

well, nothing that I did out of the camera anyway. I think "standard" in the menu is equivalent to one of the chromes (Provia).

11. sojourner

sojourner pfm Member

That's very impressive Cliff. If it delivers consistent colour that good then it might be a really nice way to shoot with a pre-determined aaesthetic. Noise and detail looks good too.

Mike

12. guybat

guybat [+]

Could you post a couple of dng files? Would love to have a snoop.

13. firestorm

firestorm pfm Member

Mmmmm, very nice.
    Whats the IQ and colour Q like compared to the X100 and D700/D3X?

I feel spring pub meet coming on ;-)

14. cliffpatte

Guy - no RAF-DNG support yet (hurry up Adobe)

Chun - will have to wait for daylight / weekend for the D7000 / X100 / X-Pro1 / D3X comparison.

15. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Messing around a bit with a depth-of-field calculator, it looks like 35mm on APSC at f1.4 gives similar DOF as 52mm on full frame at f2 - e.g. a little less than 1 ft at 8 ft from subject. So it's a bit like walking around with a 50 'cron -- nice!

16. Joe P

Damn, I had put thoughts of the X-Pro1 out of my mind, but it's firmly back in there, right next to the cobwebs and billions of neurons I've devoted to Star Trek.

-------------

Cliff,

I'll probably regret asking, and I know your M9 and fancy German glass are long gone so a direct comparison is now impossible, but how does the Fuji fare against Leica's best digital rangefinder and a Summisomething or two?

Joe

17. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

And, a bit of pixel peeping, how does the non-anti-aliasing sensor hold up? Can you try a macro of a fabric and see if you get any weird artifacts?

18. cliffpatte

I'll have to try and reproduce a shot from the archives. How about a bowl of fruit shot with both cameras (different bowl obviously)

19. Joe P

Cliff,

That would be great, but don't put a lot of effort into this on my account.

I just meant subjectively — I know, a bad word these days — how are the pix compared with what you got from the M9 and Leica glass?

Joe

20. sojourner

sojourner pfm Member

Hopefully different fruit?