advertisement

Fuji X-Pro1

<Charlton Heston> Damn you, Cliff! Damn you to hell! </Charlton Heston>

(Do you know how much it costs?)

Joe

Guy,

This may be the (marginally) affordable digital camera I've been waiting for.

Joe

Looks very interesting, reminds me of the Hexar RF.
Aperture ring, real viewfinder, no 4:3 nonsense, a proper 3:2 format! (even though the sensor is still smallish).

I still fancy an X100, or an X128 with a 28mm lens. But this looks great. Presumably a FF verison would be a whole lot bigger/heavier, let alone way more expensive?

Cliff, as ever, we rely upon you to do your painful but solemn duty.

I still fancy an X100, or an X128 with a 28mm lens. But this looks great. Presumably a FF verison would be a whole lot bigger/heavier, let alone way more expensive?

Cliff, as ever, we rely upon you to do your painful but solemn duty.

It's as big as an M9 and that's FF isn't it? Im sure it would make it more expensive buy quite a bit! Even though it obviously a different style of camera in "my head" its up against the smaller EOS 550/600s which are small and light and easy to carry about.

FYI: TechRadar has published a (p)review.

Verdict
Fuji appears to have produced a camera that successfully merges traditional build with modern digital features. If it manages to deliver the type of image quality that the company claims, then the Fuji X-Pro1 could be a camera to get very excited about.

Rather than opting to make a 'me too' DSLR that runs with the pack, Fuji has struck out on its own and created something a little bit different. We think it's a great move, and one that serious photographers will appreciate.

The Fuji X-Pro1 offers the type of features that appeal to would-be Leica users, but we anticipate the price to be considerably lower.

Joe

I think the comparison that should be made is between the new Fuji and the Contax G2. If that camera had ever been given a digital back and a preview screen then it would have been awfully similar to the features of the new Fuji.

To differentiate it from the Leica M9, the obvious main difference is that the Leica is a rangefinder and the New Fuji is an AF camera with manual focussing distance confirmation. I'm betting that anyone used to both systems could get equally sharp images out of both cameras. M9s (and M8s) occasionally get back focussing issues as the rangefinder can sometimes need adjusting (or the lens) to get ultimate accuracy. The AF system on the new Fuji should (as it does on the X100) be spot on provided you put the focus spot in the viewfinder on the thing you want in focus.

I'm guessing that Fuji's compromise in the lens department might be on ultimate rectilinear faithfulness, but who knows until we can see real test results.

If Fuji's new lenses are as good as the ones they make for Hasselblad's H series, we should expect Leica to be getting a run for their money ...

It's the first digital camera that's piqued my interest since I sold the dslr and bought my M9. Given it's the same size as an M9 I'm not sure that it's an obvious match, but it does appeal - plus the evf gives you some slr type capability.

My first thought that it was a bit like a Contax G1/2 brought into the digital age and, like another poster, thank goodness for the 3:2 ratio. I really don't like 4:3, though I'm strangely happy with 3:2, 5:4 and 1:1...

Mike

Well lets hope it's not as noisy as the Contax!

:) yes, the M9 feels a bit noisy and slow in comparison to the film rf's, though in practice no one seems to notice but me. I suspect the fuji will be no louder than that, if only because of the smaller shutter. I was amazed at how quiet the little dslrs were compared to the big old 1 series Canons.

My first thought that it was a bit like a Contax G1/2 brought into the digital age

As I mused earlier in the thread. It reminds me of my G2, but digital. The main noise on the G2 is from the AF servos. The X100 is quieter, although neither is as quiet as the Leica MP.

Looks very nice. Too much paper though, IMO. I think I'd go for the Sony Nex7 which, whilst not as snazzy, is around half the price for most of the features.

That's because your "using the force" ;)

Why is the M9 (don't know much about them) noisier than an M6, shutter differences?

Would that the force were with my composition and timing!

The M9 has a shutter that is motor driven and re-cocked. The M6 (and MP) have mechanical cloth shutters that are much quieter, though the biggest difference is the recocking motor noise - that I find distracting (yes, I use the soft mode).

For completeness, the Zeiss Ikon has an electronically timed metal bladed shutter that is slightly noiser than the M6/MP (different pitch) and similar to the, similar, shutter on the Voigtlander Bessas. In normal use all the bodies seem fine and are much quieter and less obtrusive than a 1Ds3.

I have a Mamiya 7ii and that's quieter than any of the others (not all of which are with me now I hasten to add)

Mike

I didn't even thing about the motor on the M9 to cock the shutter! just noticed they don't have a wind on lever! lol

When Konica made the original Hexar it had a silent mode that was er... virtually silent despite the motor (leaf shutter) as i remember they had to change it on the later camera because it infringed on a patent.
I had some M7s they were great cameras.

Although video capability is being written up as a design afterthought on this, the apparently novel filter array that does away with the requirement for a low pass filter (Cliff?) could be quite interesting for motion pictures. The LCD doesn't flip out for hi/lo angle shooting, so it's *probably* out of the question for me unfortunately.

advertisement

Back