advertisement

Fuji X-Pro1

It looks veh nice, but too expensive. I handled a Fuji X10 last time I was at Heathrow, that seemed very nice indeed for a pocket digicam, really well made and with good ergonomics, not sure about it in strict VFM terms though given it's a small sensor camera. But I think Fuji are positioning themselves very well at the moment, they're making some very desirable cameras.

Joel - what difference does the lack of LPF make to video? I've never heard of filters being an issue before.

Moire and aliasing are the major problems with DSLR video. I don't know if this will have an effect, but it may... Anyway, interesting to see if there is.

Ah right, thanks. So does it manage to create Moire where it wouldn't appear with analogue? Didn't that improve over time with analogue? Maybe it's more careful wardrobe choices these days, but I notice it more on early colour tv than I do now.

Good question. Certainly moire was an issue back in the analog days. For aliasing, it appears that the larger the sensor, the more aggressively the anti-aliasing filters have to work when down-sampling to a broadcast format.

Although video capability is being written up as a design afterthought on this, the apparently novel filter array that does away with the requirement for a low pass filter (Cliff?) could be quite interesting for motion pictures. The LCD doesn't flip out for hi/lo angle shooting, so it's *probably* out of the question for me unfortunately.

from what I've read, they have done away with the AA filter and they've replaced the Bayer filter array with their own model. Not sure what they have done to get rid of IR and UV

Joel,

Does anyone use a rangefinder to shoot video? I don't mean a few clips of the kids making faces. I'm thinking highbrow stuff, like cat videos for youtube or vimeo.

Joe

Wired suggest it is one bit of kit worth stealing from the CES exhibition. One wonders just how much advertising Fuji put their way?

auric,

Maybe, but the X-Pro1 does seem theft worthy in the metaphorical sense.

Or maybe it's just me.

When I see a new D-SLR from Nikon or Canon I think nice, but so what. The new digi-rangefinder from Fuji, however, made me raise an eyebrow all Spock-like.

Joe

A few sample pix.

Looks good so far... but also nothing that has redefined image quality.

Joe

Does anyone use a rangefinder to shoot video? I don't mean a few clips of the kids making faces. I'm thinking highbrow stuff, like cat videos for youtube or vimeo.
Ah, that's serious stuff. I think iPhone is the tool of choice for this kind of project...
http://youtu.be/eYO-suuPdlY
Rangefinders are not usually used for filming, but then they're not usually able to film. IIRC the Fuji can be switched to an electronic viewfinder if necessary.

Joel,

Ah, that's serious stuff. I think iPhone is the tool of choice for this kind of project...
http://youtu.be/eYO-suuPdlY
Shot on an iPhone 4? Wow, that's far better than I would have guessed in a million years... if my only task in life was to guess about the suitability of phones as movie cameras.

So, what's the ap called -- Ko-po-mo-movie (make Korean po-mo movie)?

Joe

ISO 6400 ? No problem

Shearing-sheep1.jpg

<Raises eyebrow Spock-like>

Lt. Cmdr. Cliff,

Sensor report, please.

Joe

</Raises eyebrow Spock-like>

advertisement

Back