advertisement

Fuji X-Pro1

Yes, the low light performance looks interesting to M9 users, though it will be interesting to see how the manual focus works with the M adaptor

Yes, the low light performance looks interesting to M9 users, though it will be interesting to see how the manual focus works with the M adaptor

Pretty similar to sticking m lenses on mft cameras I would have thought. It will depend on how good the EVF mode is. It was certainly easier on a Lumix g1 than on an EP1

Cliff,

Does the X-Pro1 have a standard mount of some sort or is it one specific to that and only camera?

Joe

Cliff,

Thanks, man.

Did you buy one or are you in the contemplating-a-purchase phase?

Joe

Very keen to see this one Cliff!

So, are you keeping your M mount lenses for film duties or do you have adapters for various camera bodies? I'm wondering how the X1 will take a MF lens, and whether the viewfinder/screen will be a nice way of using these lenses.

Sadly not Cesare. I've put all my M lenses up for sale including the Noctilux. The Hasselblads have both gone too. So I'll be back to a straight forward Nikon and Fuji set up going forward. 645, 667 and 690 MF cameras and the new X-Pro1 in the fuji world. D800 for portrait /architecture work and V1 for ducks.

Cliff,

What brought about the fire sale? The new Fuji rangefinder looks very spiffy, but I'd wager that an M9 and a pile of nice German glass would be better optically — as well as more desirable, if camera cachet matters to you.

Joe

Joe, you only have to see cliffs comments about having a 'straight forward nikon and fuji setup'. Notice how this covers 6 different image sizes, both digital and film, with 4 different lens systems ;-)

Cliff, I can see how the fujis and the D800 complement each other. I'm not sure why the V1 and X-Pro1 do something different though.

Cesare

I'll be interested on your thoughts with the D800 when it arrives. I've made the decision to start putting a wee bit aside towards one later in the year, depending on how well it performs.

The X Pro 1 sounds very intriguing but I'm afraid everything will have to go to fund the D800 if I do go that route.

So many questions, so little time.

OK, for Joe - even the Leica lenses have their little foibles - for instance the 35mm Summiluxes pre 2010 used to back focus badly on the M9, rendering wider apertures useless for close work. The 50mm Cron is notorious for having internal reflection issues into point light sources. The Noctilux is heavy and vignettes a lot wider than F2. The 75 Lux on the other hand would be perfect of it weren't for the nigh on useless add on plastic hood. The M9 sensor is a dust magnet, and ISOs above 800 are pretty noisy to say the least. The good news is that all my lenses were bought second hand apart from the 35 Cron, and all of them are well "in the money" which is handy to "realize some profit" on the collection for re-investment elsewhere.

For Guy - noted, although I'm not sure exactly when that might be.

For Cesare - I hope the new Fuji has some decent macro capability but I'm not holding my breath. But neither the D800 nor the V1 would be ideal for where the X Pro1 is likely to shine - street / candid photography

Mark, you'll have to pop down to London later in the year to meet the crowd and play with the toys.

Cheers, Cliff.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pix from the X-Pro1.

Joe

Mark, you'll have to pop down to London later in the year to meet the crowd and play with the toys.

That sounds like a plan Cliff. A bit of notice and I'd certainly have a wander down. Quite keen to do some city stuff so I've been planning on coming down some time.

Dan,

The Fuji has an APS-C sensor.

I agree that it looks like a lot of depth of field for a 35mm lens at f/1.4 but maybe the info is wrong on the website.

Joe

advertisement

Back