advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry, Spacey, I'm busy Chillaxing - which is of course very chilled :)
I just wanted to correct a few errors on Ashley's part so he doesn't repeat them and wind up getting sued or being ripped by the ASA. Equally I wouldn't want to see people buying something that is not what they were expecting, given the limited demo opportunities, etc.

Cheers,
Mort

Ooh goody; a hero.

I also had Trios as well but I wasn't that impressed with them after all the hype, I just couldn't get on with them. They were not particularly revealing and the bass was just too light to be realistic, in short they always reminded me that I was listening to hifi and not a real event. I decided to get rid of all my AVI gear try something different.

Odd that. I agree the bass is not floor cracking stuff, but that was the intention; no overhang or hype. A sub would be needed in largish rooms no doubt at all. But in mine they were just about spot on.

As for not revealing?? Don't understand that at all. They whip open tracks to reveal all that is there. Even with power amps not quite up to the task.

adm40.jpg

So ladies how about these BEAUTIES eh??

I think you're right Jonathan, some outriggers or a better formed plinth would do the trick. Yoof with money and Apple will be put off.

They are not bad, arthur, but the grills make them look, to my eyes, like Living Voice Avatars and apart from this I think their look is spoiled by the crude, over-large plinth.

I quite like the plinth but it's easy to see why most, it appears, would not. Perhaps a curve or two to soften the blow?

Arthur,

Newer images from Ashley posted at AVI forum and AVI Facebook page:

7119210019_53e178fec0_b.jpg

7118184951_6458ff5a8f_b.jpg

6972408480_35f45049c2_b.jpg

7115646221_ae91af3378_b.jpg

Note: cables mess is the fault of Ashley's tidiness rather than the pre-amp-in-soeaker solution.

7119210019_53e178fec0_b.jpg

Nice to see that the veneer is fading already, must be good stuff, that's a lovely inverted semi circle just over the display port.

At last piccies!

Cheers darren, you're a gent sir.

I have to say the plinth looks worse in the flesh.

But they are indeed the the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Just need to get a listen now,

7118184951_6458ff5a8f_b.jpg

Is is me or does the rebating look a little loose? Will they tighten up the gap well between preproduction and production?

The curve radius of the amp packs does not match the curve radius of the rebate either -- it does not sit in squarely

I only bring this up because other manufacturers of active systems with rebated amp packs manage to achieve this to appear tidy and tight.

I feel the bases ought to have some kind of a chamfer as the plinths look little unfinished and amateurish. Visually it disagrees with the arcs and curve of the front grille.

fox, i can understand why theres a gap TBH (but doesn't need to be more than 0.5 or 1mm). Sometimes, when the amps plates are removed and if the veneering absolutely snug it can splinter off the edge ever so slightly.

Yep, that sickening crunch as the packs are loosened... know it well... however other manufacturers manage a snug fit. But the veneers look tight and bookmatched with sharp corner edges, No bull nosing which suggests good machining and pressing facilities thus properly fitted. The gap is probably (hopefully!) pre-production fine tuning of the CNC router or perhaps it was fitted before a gasket which I have seen done before.

Yep, that sickening crunch as the packs are loosened... know it well... however other manufacturers manage a snug fit. But the veneers look tight and bookmatched with sharp corner edges, No bull nosing which suggests good machining and pressing facilities thus properly fitted. The gap is probably (hopefully!) pre-production fine tuning of the CNC router or perhaps it was fitted before a gasket which I have seen done before.

True. Hopefully as you say the large gap can be fine tuned.

Is is me or does the rebating look a little loose? Will they tighten up the gap well between preproduction and production?

The curve radius of the amp packs does not match the curve radius of the rebate either -- it does not sit in squarely

I only bring this up because other manufacturers of active systems with rebated amp packs manage to achieve this to appear tidy and tight.

I feel the bases ought to have some kind of a chamfer as the plinths look little unfinished and amateurish. Visually it disagrees with the arcs and curve of the front grille.
From what I've read these are the first production batch, i.e. what the first punters will receive. Not preproduction as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back