advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see that the veneer is fading already, must be good stuff, that's a lovely inverted semi circle just over the display port.

That's just what real cherry does, e.g. Harbeth store any in the production production area in black bags for just that reason. You'll never see any PrpAc, Spendor or anything else with a nice real veneer and an obvious grill frame grill without an ugly bikini like. It's one reason why with such speakers that I never use the grills. Take 'em off once and store them in the box!

Premature fading ehh? I wondered why Naim used the most God-awful muddy-assed stain on my cherry SBLs they could possibly find.

Hi Ash. If you're still reading this could I buy a pair of right handers please? Naturally I'd expect a surcharge for thr trouble.

Cheers.

Offering demos and home loans sounds like a legacy retailing model to me. You won't sell hundreds doing it that way you know.

But how else to do it properly these days? How often do we read complaints that dealers are either half asleep, too narrow in their product offerings, or too far away?

I believe there must be something better than the internet-only box-shifters to whom passionate enthusiasts are viewed as time-wasters. There's no substitute for an unhurried, unpressured audition of run-in equipment in your own home.

We could offer a tricksy '30-Day Money Back Guarantee', which actually has a higher hit-rate commercially: around 1 in 10 come back. Compare this to our return rate, which is almost 5 out of 10! But the point is that our customers get to make informed decisions, and compare several items before buying. We sell fewer things, but we have good customers who come back for a fair deal that's never a shot in the dark.

sq,

Nice to see that the veneer is fading already, must be good stuff, that's a lovely inverted semi circle just over the display port.
If it's cherry that's a property of the wood — it darkens as it ages.

Edit: What the boss said.

Joe

Sad but true regarding cherry (never worked with this wood myself.)

Sounds like noticeable changes occur quickly so discolouration must be planned for so any given side of a speaker can shade evenly (better forget grill cloths which cover only half a panel):

http://www.plesums.com/wood/cherry.html

That's crazy fast though, those speakers can be only days old. If they age that fast surely they should never put covers on them.

My point exactly...half grills with a wood this sensitive to light should have been accounted for and rejected during the speaker's development.

Now I understand why Naim did what they did with my cherry SBLs even though it's an ugly solution IMO.

Cherry does not continue to darken forever. It goes quickly at first, then rapidly slows down and stabilises to a nice mellow tan.

All you have to do is leave the grills off for a while and it'll even out.

JC

I know Behringer's prices are keen but buying from them has always been a false economy. Shockingly badly made, they blatantly copy other people's IP (their clone of a Mackie desk was so complete that they replicated the same power supply slump error resulting in a Mackie recall -- no such from Behringer), their products are aimed at home musicians so light-to-non-existent usage so things like knobs snap off or shear their graphic EQ has half the LEDs dead, the Tube compressor injects more noise than compression (actually that is kinda funky and it simulated detuned phased FM Stereo quite well)

Behringer. In all conscience? Great starter gear --perhaps -- if/i] you realise you are throwing good money after bad. If you rely on behringer daily it will all end in tears.

Sorry, I know we all want a great bargain, bucorners are cut to the point where a device is no longer reliable.

the Yamaha HS80M actives (and HS10W subs) are fantastic. around the same price a pair .

no build quality issue, they dont steal designs, etc.

My point exactly...half grills with a wood this sensitive to light should have been accounted for and rejected during the speaker's development..

It's exceptionally common, e.g. find me a ProAc or Spendor in a Cherry or Yew finish that hasn't got really ugly light patches on the baffle from the grill frame if the user has kept the grills on. I love real wood finishes on a speaker, but they do mean you can't use the grills if you want to keep the front baffles attractive. Also, obviously, never stand anything on a loudspeaker, as you'll get a light patch underneath!

I had the same thought bout those 100's in Cherry. They were up on wwwATCforumscouk at £6999 then £6500 and finally £5999 just before they were chopped in; No pics though!

Cherry is OK but I never knew that about it discolouring so quickly after arrival. Come to think of it none of my instruments are... were made from cherry. Seems like its too unstab;e at some level for an instrument... the double bass I played is closest to the warm orangey yellow red of cherry -- and that was solid Maple (violin's also an Amberburst Maple, Chapman stick was Tarara etc maybe go graphite on the Stick this time)... I'm thinking of Poplar Burl to replace the bass...

IMG_0807.jpg

Fuk'n rad! Might be a bit much on big cabs but smaller boxes with figured and burl wood is tres nice IMO in a home setting -- which of course I am not at all into:
applejack_lie_by_tyler8916-d4m58v8.png

Vintage veneer can be used really nicely when framed well within a modern context. I'm starting to appreciate the lighters colours, yew especially; it has a really tactile grain.

Thats nice work fox, you make it or had it done?

My days of making are well and truly over for now (and I was never a luthier). That's the business end of an NS design CR4M bass I'm going to be trying in a short while. Need to fly to the states to try it but as its a $5K instrument it's well worth the journey. Neck is solid and fingerboard is aged hardened Ebony not softer black stained Macassar (as is common now on account of price), so it needs to be played before I part w/$$$. Wood is tricky and personal stuff, I totally get why someone might fall in love with a wood like Cherry and live with it to the extent of positioning it out of direct sunlight. The Zebrano 100s were light stable but *such* a complete and utter bitch to lay. That edging... [twitch]

Wood, love the stuff but it needs care in order to grow old gracefully. Bikini line after a day on a speaker is a no no for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back