advertisement

Zavvi promo

Ordered mine ages ago mid December, two sets (doh) naively thinking I may end up with one or two duplicates.
I enjoyed several weeks of optimistic expectations, balanced by ultimate disappointment and constant spam emails.
Hope my daughter enjoys the Eric Dolphy and the other 5.

Back again, five for £25 this time. Could it be relevant that stock isn’t available for a month, or will it be another lorry-load of the usual suspects?

Back again, five for £25 this time. Could it be relevant that stock isn’t available for a month, or will it be another lorry-load of the usual suspects?
In the small print: "*Please Note: Ordering more than one set may result in receiving duplicate title. If you have purchased either the 6-pack and/or the 10-pack previously it is likely for you to receive duplicates."

In the small print: "*Please Note: Ordering more than one set may result in receiving duplicate title. If you have purchased either the 6-pack and/or the 10-pack previously it is likely for you to receive duplicates."

I got 5 exact sets on the last offer and still have a few to move on. I won’t be bothering this time.

Thanks, hadn’t seen that! Probably not worth the risk, then.

I didn't take a punt previously, so thought I would on this occasion. They arrived today, approx 1 month after order. The 5 in my pack are:
Ella and Louis, Verve.
Ellington,Mingus,Roach - Money Jungle, United Artists
Getz/Gilberto; Verve
Miles Sketches of Spain; Columbia
Dolphy, out to lunch; Blue Note.

I’ve decided to give my dupes to the owner of my local independent store. He’s been very good to me this year, ordering a couple of RSD releases specially for me and keeping them to one side. Also he has had a shitty time of it with both parents catching Covid and his dad dying as a result. I would have thought he could get a tenner for each record pretty easily.
Finally got round to doing this on Monday. I think the gesture was appreciated - he offered payment in kind but I said I’d rather keep a couple of favours in credit for future RSDs.

I didn't take a punt previously, so thought I would on this occasion. They arrived today, approx 1 month after order. The 5 in my pack are:
Ella and Louis, Verve.
Ellington,Mingus,Roach - Money Jungle, United Artists
Getz/Gilberto; Verve
Miles Sketches of Spain; Columbia
Dolphy, out to lunch; Blue Note.

What labels?

I’m guessing they’re no Tone Poet level pressings? Don’t know much about that label.

They are legitimate and some are far better than others. The Blue Notes aren’t that good based on the ones I’ve heard, they certainly aren’t the ‘80s Ron McMaster issues stated on the rear cover (which on the whole I like) and sound closer to RVG Edition to my ears (very narrow soundstage, not much dynamic range), but they aren’t bad and they’ll get you the titles legitimately for cheaper than even a dreadful EU loophole pirate. I do have a Gerry Mulligan (Contemporary I think) which sounds excellent, so I guess they just went with whatever master the major label fielded at the time. It is all down to price, but I compared Wayne Shorter’s Speak No Evil against the current Blue Note Classic and the latter is hugely better to my ears/priorities. By saying that it’s a >£20 record, so it depends on how much you want to spend. tldr; no, they are not a Tone Poet stand-in!

They are legitimate and some are far better than others. The Blue Notes aren’t that good based on the ones I’ve heard, they certainly aren’t the ‘80s Ron McMaster issues stated on the rear cover (which on the whole I like) and sound closer to RVG Edition to my ears (very narrow soundstage, not much dynamic range), but they aren’t bad and they’ll get you the titles legitimately for cheaper than even a dreadful EU loophole pirate. I do have a Gerry Mulligan (Contemporary I think) which sounds excellent, so I guess they just went with whatever master the major label fielded at the time. It is all down to price, but I compared Wayne Shorter’s Speak No Evil against the current Blue Note Classic and the latter is hugely better to my ears/priorities. By saying that it’s a >£20 record, so it depends on how much you want to spend. tldr; no, they are not a Tone Poet stand-in!

I think that’s quite harsh. I’ve got Blue Notes from across the ages and a range of releases and to my ears the De Agostinis are up there with the best. I’m having to convince myself they are inferior to some quite expensive pressings. I don’t think there are any that if I didn’t have an alternative version for direct comparison I’d be anything less than extatic about.

I think that’s quite harsh. I’ve got Blue Notes from across the ages and a range of releases and to my ears the De Agostinis are up there with the best. I’m having to convince myself they are inferior to some quite expensive pressings. I don’t think there are any that if I didn’t have an alternative version for direct comparison I’d be anything less than extatic about.

They may vary title to title, I don’t know. I’m primarily commenting on Speak No Evil which has that ‘almost mono’ thing of the RVG CDs, which I really don’t like. The current Classic puts things back wide where I’d expect them to be and has far more dynamic contrast. That isn’t to say the De Agostini is bad, it sounds perfectly reasonable and certainly lacks the grainy edge of the RVG Edition CDs. I’ve actually got a few more that I’ve received as very kind donations to the pfm shop. I’m reluctant to unseal them as they will be worth more sealed, but I may be tempted to crack open Somethin’ Else as I have a couple of very good copies of that (an early RVG-stamped US Liberty BN and a ‘70s Japanese). I’d put money on not wanting to swap either of those out!

My first exposure to a De Agostini pressing was actually Oliver Nelson’s Blues And The Abstract Truth. My current copy of this is a beautiful mid-1970s Japanese pressing. The De Agostini sounds very much like my memory of the late-90s ‘Mastered By Capitol’ stamped Impulse 180g issue I owned before landing the Japanese cut, not bad, in many respects perfectly acceptable, but kind of dead somehow. The Japanese pressing just slays both to my ears/priorities, it leaps out of the speakers with real dynamics and presence. That is a great sounding record.

The last thing I want to do is to slag off the DA pressings, they are a great way to get some titles for peanuts. I just think they can be bettered based on the ones I’ve so far sampled, though these days you’d have to pay proper money of have some decent luck when used bin-diving. To put it another way lets say I’m right and the DA Nelson is the same cut as the late-90s ‘Mastered By Capitol’ 180g Impulse then that is a £10-15 used record, so you really can’t argue, it just isn’t a US RVG-stamped original or really good Japanese cut, but those are £50-200+ or so!

PS I’ve heard some mention that Acoustic Sounds are planning Blues And The Abstract Truth. That could be interesting...

I have the following Deagostini Jazz vinyl duplicates if anyone has alternative titles to swap?

I would prefer SWAPS, but may consider sales.

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
Go - Dexter Gordon
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
Getz/Gilberto - João Gilberto and Stan Getz
Money Jungle - Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, and Max Roach
Out To Lunch - Eric Dolphy

advertisement

Back