advertisement

Zavvi promo

I have the following Deagostini Jazz vinyl duplicates if anyone has alternative titles to swap?

I would prefer SWAPS, but may consider sales.

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
Go - Dexter Gordon
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
Getz/Gilberto - João Gilberto and Stan Getz
Money Jungle - Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, and Max Roach
Out To Lunch - Eric Dolphy
At the moment, the only duplicate I have is Out To Lunch. However, if you can’t get swaps for:-

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
Go - Dexter Gordon
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley

…I’ll be interested in purchasing them.

Mick

I fell for the latest offer as a birthday present for a vinyl-loving (allegedly) jazz-loving (allegedly) friend. I suspect “Out To Lunch” will test his mettle.

De Agnostinis of “Somethin’ Else”, “Money Jungle”, “Getz/Gilberto”, “Out To Lunch” (unsealed) and “Mingus Ah Um” have just arrived. I almost tried to cancel the order when I belatedly logged the copyright loophole versions of “Ella & Louis” and “Somethin’ Else” in some of the offer pictures on Zavvi’s website, but now I’m glad I didn’t.

I fell for the latest offer as a birthday present for a vinyl-loving (allegedly) jazz-loving (allegedly) friend. I suspect “Out To Lunch” will test his mettle.

De Agnostinis of “Somethin’ Else”, “Money Jungle”, “Getz/Gilberto”, “Out To Lunch” (unsealed) and “Mingus Ah Um” have just arrived. I almost tried to cancel the order when I belatedly logged the copyright loophole versions of “Ella & Louis” and “Somethin’ Else” in some of the offer pictures on Zavvi’s website, but now I’m glad I didn’t.

So they are the same titles from the last offer, but missing "GO".

It's hardly a mystery selection now, so I don't know why they aren't more upfront and honest about the titles.

They are definitely worth having if you don't already own a set.

Just logged that the second side of the "Out To Lunch" that I received in the latest (5 for £30) iteration of the offer actually plays the second side of "Money Jungle".

Its a duplicate for me so if you want one you can have it for the price of the postage. DM me if interested.

Thanks, Colonel. If I get no joy from Zavvi’s complaints department I might well take you up on that.

The fact that “Out To Lunch” was the only unsealed one in the bunch has me suspecting that Zavvi might possibly have had an inkling about all this.

The fact that “Out To Lunch” was the only unsealed one in the bunch has me suspecting that Zavvi might possibly have had an inkling about all this.

I gave all my dupes away to my local indie shop, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I offered him either the sealed or unsealed copy of OTL. I thought the sealed would be easier for him to sell, but it had a big tie-in sticker for the magazine on the shrinkwrap. He said the unsealed would be just fine. I now have visions of a budding jazz fan taking it home and thinking - ‘wow, how cool was Eric Dolphy? He plays wacky far-out stuff on the first side of his record, then shows he can also write straightforward stuff for side 2... but doesn’t even bother to play on it himself!!!’

From experience I'd just take me up on that :)

:)

I’m 66 hours into their 48 hour response window. If I haven’t heard anything after a week I was going to rattle their Facebook page (presuming they have one…)

Thanks again for the offer, Colonel; I’m not in a desperate hurry (the Zavvi promo purchase is for a friend’s birthday, and I tend to plan ahead on these things) but I’ll be in touch if I continue to get nowhere with Zavvi.

I now have visions of a budding jazz fan taking it home and thinking - ‘wow, how cool was Eric Dolphy? He plays wacky far-out stuff on the first side of his record, then shows he can also write straightforward stuff for side 2... but doesn’t even bother to play on it himself!!!’

Plus “Solitude” would be like the earliest hidden track EVAH!

Just logged that the second side of the "Out To Lunch" that I received in the latest (5 for £30) iteration of the offer actually plays the second side of "Money Jungle".

I remember someone on another thread posting that their copy of Bowie’s Low has a similar fault - there’s an Eno album pressed on side 2.

I remember someone on another thread posting that their copy of Bowie’s Low has a similar fault - there’s an Eno album pressed on side 2.

I briefly owned (before it went back to Piccadilly Records) a copy of Blur’s “Modern Life Is Rubbish” that had one side of the band’s “Leisure” on it.

Good news: Zavvi have replied.

Bad news: “I am sorry to hear that this arrived damaged. We take every measure to ensure that items are delivered securely to our customers.

Please can you send photos of any damage caused to the product and the outer packaging.”

I have sent them a photo of the deadwax and some Discogs links.

A replacement bunch of five has arrived from Zavvi, contains an “Out To Lunch” that at least looks like it’s advertised on both sides, and no duplicates with the original shipment amongst the other four (“Kind Of Blue”, “Sketches Of Spain”, “Lady In Satin” and “Blue Train”). As Zavvi have shown no interest in me returning the original shipment I couldn’t be happier with their after-sales service.

@Colonel_Mad your kind offer is no longer required, but much appreciated nonetheless.

advertisement

Back