advertisement

Your New Year Hi-Fi plans

A new preamp is on its way, hopefully in mid-january, a Tron Seven, which will replace my Exposure IX/XI combo.
If I can afford it, I'll also replace the power amp. Not sure if I'll go solid state or valve. Probably Solid State.
Oh, and buy more music. Preferably on vinyl. And go to more live concerts.

I plan to replace some cables, if funds allow to upgrade of TTs and of course buy a lot of music.

I'll clean my contacts twice in 2014 and maybe tighten all the screws down in the AC line that powers the rig ...if I remember.

Hell, rack fasteners probably should be checked as well for proper tightness. OK, enough, my year is now booked.

Yes, when I look at the rather nice 42/110 for sale in the classified room, I look at my system and wonder why I haven't got something much simpler!

Hey man, I did just that and I've never been happier. (Not entirely true- rebuilt 110 monos and a 32.5) However I wouldn't go back and it aint about the money.

Some modest vinyl stuff in order of importance, let's see if I end up buying all (or even one of them);

1. Music
2. Heed Questar MM
3. AT150mlx
4. Jelco sa 750d
5. Some real speakers to replace my KEF C30. I have yet to find an improvement within 2k€ price range.

Maybe send my EPA-100 over to J7 @ AO for a check-up to ensure that bearings/bias etc. work as intended.

Also wondering whether having my GSP Reflex M upgraded to "ultra-linear" will be worth the cost but kind of doubt it.

Other than that buy less LP's! Oh and do some more recording on my XK-009 as I have way too many blank NOS tapes.

Hmm and maybe add an analog tuner (TU-800L/T-9090II etc.) just for the fun of it but it needs to be working and cheap. :)

Replace a dud Mullard GZ34 with another genuine article that isn't dud. Without this I am without music except in the car and/or on a pair of borrowed Grado headphones.

Fortunately I have sourced a used pair of Mullard GZ34s to arrive on the 2nd January.

Nothing else will do.

More big Japanese receivers with lights, buttons and meters.

Marantz 2250 or 2275 would be nice - the little 2225 pants a bit when pushing the ESL63s hard-ish.

2014 is going to be retro exploration and restoration year.
TBH, little new interests me these days since it's mostly just recycling.

Build 2 more Expedits for record storage is it.
Buy less vinyl to put in it there.
Find a better way of playing cassettes in the car.

DS

Must rip the last of my vinyl then create some AAC files and pop them onto the iPod Classic.

Then I plan on buying a decent headphone amp and heading off again, further afield this time health permitting. Trips to Tokyo, Cambodia, Colorado, Tibet and Nepal on the agenda.

When you sit staring out across one of the World's great mountain ranges as the sun slowly sinks after a long Summer's day, you really do appreciate it's the music that matters, not the method of delivery.

Still. Vinyl rips sound nicer LOUD on headphones :)

When you sit staring out across one of the World's great mountain ranges as the sun slowly sinks after a long Summer's day, you really do appreciate it's the music that matters, not the method of delivery.

Would that be the Alpine Symphony on cow-bells in bovine movements, by any chance?

Definitely get the MDAC repaired whilst I await MDAC2. Possibly buy a preamp to see if a good pre in my system is better than MDAC(2) direct into ATCs.

Otherwise, I'm done. I still get occasional nags about selling the ATCs and moving back to my Adam Compact Classic actives (which I still have), but I really love the ATCs. If it started to become a bigger issue, I'd sell them, but whilst I liked them (a lot) at the start, they really have grown on me over this past year.... and in any event, going back to the Adams might mean looking at subs again, which means more boxen, yadda yadda....

Moving house in February will present a few challenges/opportunities. I'm looking forward to not having a suspended floor over a large basement to deal with, so footfall and issues with bass should be a thing of the past. The plan is to simply set up my existing kit and see how it sounds, although given the size of the room longer speaker cables will be an early purchase

Changed the listening position in the main room, from speakers well out into room firing down long axis- theyre now closer into a wall either side of the fire place and I will be listening nearer in. Will have to run interconnect cables under the floor from preamp to power amps on other side of room, so that's a task for January.

advertisement

Back