advertisement

Your New Year Hi-Fi plans

This has been my biggest year of expenditure going active again (this time with DBLs!) so there will be no more kit changes in 2014 as I am delighted with what I hear.

This year I shall simply buy lots and lots more vinyl :)

I don't think my system back up in Edinburgh will see any changes in 2014 but having just taken a flat in London I've quite a bit to do to the system down here. So far it's just a little set-up cobbled together from spares and bits nicked from my bedroom system: Thorens TD160Mk2 TT with Rega arm, Denon DL110 and a 2-box phono stage, Sheng Da valve CD player, Nait 3 and Kega Kytes. All sitting on the floor, including the speakers - so I need to sort out a rack and CD/vinyl storage and some speaker stands. I'll probably add something as a music server as well, but not sure what yet but it might include one of the cheap Richer Sounds DAC's as I've been impressed by the one I've got in my system up north.

Other than that it'll be a case of trawling the record stores of London for some more vinyl.

Had to move system from lounge to dining room , so sold Majik 6100 and aktive 109's as the big K600 speaker cable had no where to be hidden
LP12 upgrade wiCirkus and Radikal and bought Adams Artist 6 Active speaker which will go either side of the firplace

I don't think my system back up in Edinburgh will see any changes in 2014 but having just taken a flat in London I've quite a bit to do to the system down here. So far it's just a little set-up cobbled together from spares and bits nicked from my bedroom system: Thorens TD160Mk2 TT with Rega arm, Denon DL110 and a 2-box phono stage, Sheng Da valve CD player, Nait 3 and Kega Kytes. All sitting on the floor, including the speakers - so I need to sort out a rack and CD/vinyl storage and some speaker stands. I'll probably add something as a music server as well, but not sure what yet but it might include one of the cheap Richer Sounds DAC's as I've been impressed by the one I've got in my system up north.

Other than that it'll be a case of trawling the record stores of London for some more vinyl.

That will be a joy in itself. I live in Sydney these days and often dream of doing that! There are some great shops in Camden.

Definitely get the MDAC repaired whilst I await MDAC2. Possibly buy a preamp to see if a good pre in my system is better than MDAC(2) direct into ATCs.

Otherwise, I'm done. I still get occasional nags about selling the ATCs and moving back to my Adam Compact Classic actives (which I still have), but I really love the ATCs. If it started to become a bigger issue, I'd sell them, but whilst I liked them (a lot) at the start, they really have grown on me over this past year.... and in any event, going back to the Adams might mean looking at subs again, which means more boxen, yadda yadda....

Someone who knows about this kind of thing tells me that balanced connections with the pre are not essential.

I've been saying that "in another place" but I don't think John is that interested.

Balanced is, IMHO, a disadvantage in this situation rather than an advantage.

I used to draw-up little 'lists' of things I would do during the coming year to improve/change my system. But as the old military aphorism puts it : 'no plan survives contact with the enemy.'
So now I don't.

Looking to get my switch from CD's to a more streaming based solution up and running. Other than that it's just music purchases I think.

First job is to set up my son's first system and try to enthuse him about hi fi.I have a pair of mk 1 Rega Elas and Nad C320. The Nad needs a repair but I think it's the output relay so should be relatively inexpensive. I want to set up a Pi with LMS so he can listen to internet radio etc.I also have an old Denon 260L for fm. I feel a little envious as my first system wasn't in the same league and I think he's very lucky to start this way. My own system is still going through transition. I've repaired my Clearaudio turntable and am running this through a Cambridge phono stage. I've installed Vortexbox on an old Laptop and use LMS to stream music. Nice improvement and very acceptable SQ. I use an Onkyo Receiver and use the Dac within to fuel my CD transport and the Squeezebox. I would like to purchase a Home Cinema Receiver that struck a good balance between 5.1 slam and good stereo but I think I may need to pay more than I wish to achieve this.

Convert my Akurate to a Klimax DS......will involve a wee bit of haggling :)
Biggest upgrade 2013 - Chord Epic Supertwin

Awrabest fur 2014 all. :)

Another one for my list - really, really need to get my Audio Note Oto serviced and repaired as it'd be perfect for my London place.

New belts (2) for P9 and maybe a recap for Nait Two. Nothing too ambitious, just relax and listen to some nice music.

Klyde,

New belts (2) for P9 and maybe a recap for Nait Two. Nothing too ambitious, just relax and listen to some nice music.
That's crazy talk, man. Next thing you're going to say is it's about the music, not the kit.

Joe

I'm happy with my kit and am just going to enjoy the music oh and get the cover for my TT sorted.

Cheers,

DV

PS Just realised I've wasted 8 years posting on pfm!

get my Nak 670 serviced
Awop my NAC 12 for a Quad power amp
Complete running in my 'restored' esl57
and then decide if they can stay or get replaced with unrestored ones
Finish off my 401 plinth and then sell the LP12
One deck is enough now

Have put OUT my nac282,nap200,hicap,headline,napsc's, naca 5,hydra,spare snaic,spare naim leads,spare phono-din interconnects. Have brought IN Chord Electronics CPM 2650 integrated amp.Have kept my Linn Ikemi and Katans. Have listened to more music in the last 3 weeks than I did in the last year.

advertisement

Back