advertisement

Your New Year Hi-Fi plans

I've long run out of space for LPs and CDs...

Yes, I have run out of room for CDs too; I have a bit more room left for vinyl that might see me through 2014.

On the equipment front, I want to do more work on the Lenco 88; it is currently mounted on a slate plinth, but the sound balance isn’t to my taste at the moment, so I’m thinking of trying a 30mm birch ply mounted on top of the slate in a two-tier arrangement. I deliberately chose the non-damped route, but it does look as if some damping would be appropriate.

I bought a pair of Kustone-damped MKII Kans with a view to converting them to active operation. I have a NAXO and PSU on standby and a pair of NAPA 250 boards waiting to be fitted into a full-width Naim case that I’ve had sitting around for ages. I’m thinking of a dual-mono ZAP 250 configuration that will power the bass units, with my existing NAP 250 running the tweeters.

I also have to either repair/service my Nakamichi 600 or find a replacement at some point.

My system is in a bit of a limbo; the LP12/Norton/Aro/XX2MKII/pre-fix is boxed up at the moment. I need to find space for all of my turntables, which will probably mean putting up a wall shelf (or two). The plan is to fit the series 5 phono cards to the NAC102 and then convert my Avondale Stage one to be switchable for two decks. The Stanton ST.150 and the LP12/Aro both have their own built in phono stages, so I’ll be able to have everything connected to the pre-amp at once.

I also have two sets of NJ phono boards to populate too; I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to find the time for all of this TBH!

1. CD storage in the old study
2. Headphone amp for the Naim system in the new study
3. Move the Linn tri amp system to the conservatory
4. 2 speed power supply for the Sondek

Headphone amp for the Naim system in the new study
2 speed power supply for the Sondek
I thought you were the Man with no Naim?

I have a Hercules supply for one of my LP12s, and that works pretty well for a relatively low outlay, though I haven't compared it to others PSUs that may be available.

I think I need an extra shelf on top of my ReVo table for my td 124 mkii, then I can get rid of another stand and de-clutter a bit, I would like to get down to 1 stand and speakers.

I also want to try a PEEK mat on my deck, I heard one on an Avid deck at my local HiFi shop and the results were very interesting.

enjoy your music and best wishes to all for 2014

regards Al

...then I can get rid of another stand and de-clutter a bit...

Yes, when I look at the rather nice 42/110 for sale in the classified room, I look at my system and wonder why I haven't got something much simpler!

I thought you were the Man with no Naim?

I have a Hercules supply for one of my LP12s, and that works pretty well for a relatively low outlay, though I haven't compared it to others PSUs that may be available.

Yeah, up until this year I was. I should really change the tagline.....but I do like the pun!

The Hercules would be my preferred option, on the grounds that it is cheap! I have long since moved away from vinyl, but still have 700 records that I roll out every so often.

Complete the house move and integrate the best bits of the two main systems in the same room. Not sure whether the Tannoy Monitor Golds or the ESL63s will win in the speaker department. It'll be a big wrench to get rid of either. I'll probably sell my redundant Tannoy HPD 15s to facilitate a second phono stage. If funds allow, the cellar is due to be tanked and we can start to think about a dedicated movie room.

Planning to stick with what I actually use, sell what I don't, or haven't used for a while.

Currently sitting in the kitchen, happily listening to local Internet Radio (Tay AM) on an SB3 thru an ageing pair of Plastic Goodmans Active speakers sited high up on a book shelf.

Easily pleased these days...

First of all I want to carefully avoid annual reviews, 'best of' lists for the remaining hours of this year.

I solemly promise that by the end of next year my system will sound better than ever (but don't ask me how I will get there), I will own more music, the % of which I have listended to will unavoidably have diminished. Chances are that there will be more amps and/or loudspeakers in rooms that don't really need them.

I will have more digital gear and still hardly use it.

My listening room will have a more comfy sofa.

To understand more of all the techtalk I definitely will go the DIY route next year. Perhaps starting of with a simple speaker design. Ideas are welcomed.

This year I plan to get my second Garrard 301 completed, which will involve new idler wheel bearings and possibly motor rewire. Undecided whether to keep SME 3001 S2 or go for something else. As this one will be on a wall shelf a slate plinth is out, so looking for 'wood'.

Happy with my systems, making the most of buying CD's (box sets mainly) at low prices - it ain't going to last forever. Just hope my Meridian CD transport makes it to 2015!

I'd like to hear the Rega Saturn-R. A simple one-box solution that plays CDs and various audio file formats is rather appealing.

Joe

Progress has been made - today I drilled two holes in the shelf dividers so I could run some cables across.

There is still work to do - at some point I need to crawl under the floor to run some cat5 from the router to the music PC.

I need to fit the timestep PSU to the Technics deck. I understand that this is simple to do but that has not prevented me from not doing it for over a year.

I need to get the correct length bolts to mount the Reson Reca onto the Technics headshell.

At some point I need to decide if I'm going to replace the Spendor A5s with something else, or the Tannoy DC2000s with something else, or just keep 'em. I should also consider getting rid of the Linn Axis which looks like it is never coming down from the loft, and the Monitor Audio Studio 2s which I don't really have a use for.

Other than that, sit in front of the wood burner and drink an Italian red, like I'm doing now, listening to Diz and Getz and wondering how long it is reasonable / responsible to let the kids play Sims for. Everyone here is happy right now :)

My plan is to consolidate my two systems into one, and upgrade that on the way too.
Probably dumping the idea of small speakers and going for big broadbands. Probably.

My P9 has been centre stage for the last twelve years or so and still continues to amaze especially with some of the other (Rega) stuff added over time. Digital doesn't interest and my minimal record collection always seems to be in a state of flux, keeping me occupied (frustrated). Ready to call it a day really especially as we'd like to knock the house about.

Then along comes the bloody RP10...

advertisement

Back