advertisement

Your best Hifi/Audio purchases ever…

Rega Planar 3, 1980s style with Rega upgrades.
Perhaps the AT-VM95ML I've not long installed on the Rega.
A&R A60, my stalwart amplifier for about 18 years.
Yamaha AX450, which seems to have succeeded the A60 :eek:
Philips CD502. A very cheap CDP that sounds fine, although I have another Philips (CD-850?) that eats it in all ways - except playing discs reliably.
HP EliteBook 8570p. Its inbuilt DAC is good enough that I haven't felt an urge to buy an outboard one.
Heybrook HB3 S2s.
JPW Gold Monitors, with a couple of simple tweaks.

A@R Cambridge T21 brought from the local paper for £15.It just blew me away how lovely sounding it is and 8 years later still love it especially on Radio 3.

The new Rega Saturn R.Have got an original Planet which I enjoyed but the Saturn is so much more polished and refined.It really gets so much out of CD's and has got this really vibrant analog sound like a well sorted turntable the internal 4 input dac is superb as well.No digital coldness just a really warm sounding piece of kit.

Magneplan 1.7 i .I have had mine for about a year and they still bring a smile every time I have them on.Their transparency is stunning.Transient speed and timbre of instruments,soundstage.I would never go back to box speakers again. I have never ever found them fatiguing; if anything you just want to keep listening just superb VFM and if they cost twice as much they would still be a bargain.

I agree.The T21 is superb. I was playing R3 through the Touch this morning.Decent but when I returned to the T21 it just felt right. The 1.7i’s may be something for the future;)

You would love 1.7 i's Steve....forget the turntable and if you do something like a Rega p8 ....I can imagine the 1.7 i would just be more of your LRS but better.. ;)

The 42/110 was over twice the price of the Nait. If we are looking at best purchases then surely price comes into the equation. Is a 42/110 more than twice as good as a Nait ?
If cost is not a factor then the best purchase is probably the most expensive one.
Sorry, didn't really mean it that way. Probably wouldn't have made a comment if you hadn't mentioned the 42/110. The Nait is great it even drives SBL's providing the amp is not pushed to much. There in lye's some of it's problems. And in answer to your question is the 42/110 twice as good? yes IMHO, if not more so. My mate had this set-up & at the time did quite a few comparisons.

OPPO UDP-205 , does everything digitally extremely well , the highlight for me is the SACD playback , I also use it for FLACs and have a MAC mini connected to the USB DAC for internet radio and Spotify .
I have a collection of Blu-Ray Audio , DVD-audio discs and plenty of BluRay movies.
What I'm still yet to try is the 4k as my TV isn't capable , also it's a ROON end point but as I prefer physical media not tried that either .

A@R Cambridge T21 brought from the local paper for £15.It just blew me away how lovely sounding it is and 8 years later still love it especially on Radio 3.

The new Rega Saturn R.Have got an original Planet which I enjoyed but the Saturn is so much more polished and refined.It really gets so much out of CD's and has got this really vibrant analog sound like a well sorted turntable the internal 4 input dac is superb as well.No digital coldness just a really warm sounding piece of kit.

Magneplan 1.7 i .I have had mine for about a year and they still bring a smile every time I have them on.Their transparency is stunning.Transient speed and timbre of instruments,soundstage.I would never go back to box speakers again. I have never ever found them fatiguing; if anything you just want to keep listening just superb VFM and if they cost twice as much they would still be a bargain.

Where did you buy the Magneplan 1.7 i from? Best wishes, Peter

PS Audio Sprout 100 - Used for the last two years without feeling the urge to swap back to my Exposure pre/power or Nait 5i-2

I remain surprised at its clarity (this does not mean bright). It makes my transistor-based amps sound a touch grey in comparison.

Now considering Lyngdorf !

What speakers is the Sprout feeding?

My Avondaled NAP 110 bought last spring. Box swapping is over.
My second best is my 1990 Classe Audio CP35 preamp. Bought with spare change, recapped it myself for $30.00 CDN and now feed my 110 but could be used with pretty much any amps.

Do Avondale just sell the mods, or do they also sell modded amps/power supplies? I'm a bit reluctant to fiddle under the bonnet myself!

Do Avondale just sell the mods, or do they also sell modded amps/power supplies? I'm a bit reluctant to fiddle under the bonnet myself!
They sell the boards as a DYI kit from what I know but not 100% sure if it’s the only option as of now.
I know they built some complete units in the past but I don’t know if they still do.

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference TT with SME arm...£25 local ad.
Fons CQ30 with SME arm...£1 boot fair
Quad 405, and 33 pre amp...£10 boot fair
All found working with no issues.
I rest my case !

Both as far as I understand it. Some of the older designs are available as DIY kits, the newer designs may be available to a few favoured customers as DIY but are mostly available as upgrades performed by Avondale themselves. Better than my understanding would be to give Avondale a call!

LFD NCSE - fabulous amp, so easy to love and seemingly impossible to let go of. I might well be buried with the thing - such a great sound to come home to.

That’s a sentiment I can easily agree with having lived with an LFD NCSE MK I version for a decade. Had considered going for a MK III but opted for an LFD LPCD integrated instead.

Hi Neil.

I'm currently using a pair of LS3/5 clones made by Jungson.

They have no right to sound as good as they do and are getting along with the Sprout100 like a house on fire.

Wow. I have a sprout Mk1 for my desktop system, just feeding some Cambridge Minx Min22

Rotel RC/RB970BX x2 , Arcam Delta 270 and ProAc Tablette 50s with Target R1 stands
together sound as good as I have heard anywhere, at least at the price!

Andy

Where did you buy the Magneplan 1.7 i from? Best wishes, Peter

Hi Peter,

I got my Maggies from the Hi- Fi lounge.

Superb service from Paul their owner who couldn't have been more helpful and as I live in Brighton didn't want to risk them with a courier and personally delivered them.

They stock some serious Hi end product like Wilson and Sonus Faber but Paul said his favourite speakers are Mags and would have them at home ...but he's got 6 cats and didn't want to risk them getting scratched...

https://hifilounge.co.uk/

advertisement

Back