advertisement

Your best Hifi/Audio purchases ever…

Yamaha NS1000XW

Never felt a need to change, others have heard them and offered me cash on the spot.:) Nothing else in the system is in demand so much!

I don’t know of another pair in the UK.. I bought mine from a guy who bought them from a Japanese gentleman who bought them with him when he moved to the UK from Japan.
How do they differ from the standard NS1000 ?

How do they differ from the standard NS1000 ?

Axel over at TVK has a good page explaining it. Basically everything is different.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-NS-1000x.html

Last NS-1000 version before the ultimate NSX-10000.

Unlike the "last" which usually means "best" or "even better", the NS-1000x is actually more an updated NS-1000M than a refined NS-2000.
The NS-1000x was also priced accordingly : 158,000¥ vs. the 108,000¥ of the old NS-1000M or the 228,000¥ of the NS-2000.

Upgraded from the original design was, naturally, the carbon woofer (with an NS-1000Mdiecast frame but sans front grille) allowing a lower frequency response (39Hz vs. 40Hz) with a resonance frequency placed at the same lower limit : 39Hz for the 1000 and 40Hz for the 1000x. Said 30cm bass unit has edge-wound OFC copper voice coils and a 10,500 G flux density.

The 4,5cm high-density particle enclosure was largely reinforced at 42kg (vs. 31kg), and covered with real walnut veneer painted in black (NS-1000x) or left natural on the x-rare and pricier NS-1000xw (175,000¥).

Already added to the NS-2000, 16 gauge OFC filter wiring was kept for this lower version of the NS-2000 and better version of the NS-1000M. The filter is a less complex than that of the original design and certainly less expensive than the one in the NS-2000.

The "in-line" arrangement of the drivers was retained from the NS-2000 although the assymetrical system of the original NS-1000doesn't seem to have bothered the many owners...

The mid and high Beryllium drivers are slightly different versions of those in the NS-2000... or NS-1000. As for all NS series loudspeakers, bi-wiring wasn't deemed necessary or useful.

At the time the NS-1000x was launched, two zeros below, a beefed up version of the 1977 NS-10M started to invade most recording studios on planet Earth.
No Beryllium there but worldwide success just the same. Numbers-wise, if the original 1000 is still abundant to say the least, the 2000 and 1000x are far less common - the 1000xw being of the ultra-rare kind.

The 1000x was used by Luxman as "reference" speakers as late as 1997, along with a pair of JBL K2 M9500.

My MC RL21 standmounts. I was getting to the point of diminishing upstream returns after nearly 40 years of incessant box-swapping until I got these transparent beauties. They were so good that I got another set and I find that they thrive with high-ish end class D amps most of which I also didn't rate up until now.

Is a piece of software allowed? If so then Audirvāna Studio for me playing on a Mac Mini.

As a die hard vinyl fan that was never completely settled with digital, this particular purchase (in combination with a Quboz subscription and a pre-loved Chord DAC) made digital fuss free and musical. It also allows me to play my ripped CD collection, internet radio etc.

For the joy and fuss getting it fixed and seeing it come back without a noisy volume control, and touching it to see how hot it got, and worrying how easily the paint came off, and admiring the black ribbed top ... that last bit gives it away I suppose ... the Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amplifier

Audio Note J’s and E’s. Owned them over many years, just Fabulous.
My all time favourite purchase was a Kondo Overture integrated. Although the entry level Kondo amp, for me, ‘Out of this world’!

Agree with the AN-Es, as you'll know Mark!

Totally subjective, but they've always just given me the impression of sounding (making music sound) so right. Even the most basic 'D' model. The forget and enjoy quality - ultimate goal really. I'll find a way to get another pair to work in the house one day :(

Of all time, definitely my Ruark Talisman II speakers, bought used from Fanthorpes about 10 years ago and the absolute perfect speaker for my room.

More recently, a Rega Elex-R / Naim ND5 XS2 combo to replace a problematic Uniti Nova. The Rega is marvellous.

RFC Venus cable. It is the only component I have kept through changes of source, amp and speakers. Superb for analogue or digital. I guess also Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers, as I somehow keep gravitating back to them.

i bought a cambridge audio 851n and an 851w. loved the sound so bought another 851w and run them in bi amp mode. about 6 months later an 851e pre amp came up for sale so i snapped it up. i think the 851e was quite an upgrade and made a big difference

advertisement

Back