advertisement

Your best Hifi/Audio purchases ever…

Hi Peter,

I got my Maggies from the Hi- Fi lounge.

Superb service from Paul their owner who couldn't have been more helpful and as I live in Brighton didn't want to risk them with a courier and personally delivered them.

They stock some serious Hi end product like Wilson and Sonus Faber but Paul said his favourite speakers are Mags and would have them at home ...but he's got 6 cats and didn't want to risk them getting scratched...

https://hifilounge.co.uk/

Great, thanks for the info. Peter

I'm torn between the PSB Alpha B1 I bought when I started, The NHT SuperOne 2.1 I took a gamble on, or the PSB 50 Mk2 I got for $75 with target stands.

Could also throw in the Castle Harlech S1 I picked up for 500 bucks.

Not sure whether to put the Leak ST20 here or in the worst thread. It may be too good for the rest of the system, or at least parts of it. The MacBook Pro ‘streamer’ and SL-1200 are getting some looks, as are the speakers.

Probably my Arcam A85, it sounded amazing and the remote control, menu system and "user experience" in general was excellent.
Moving countries I had to sell after a couple of years, considering buying one now for my office system.

If it helps, I bought them from an advert on PFM or somewhere else in 2009, I'd always coveted a pair ever since hearing them at the Heathrow Hi-Fi show and I shot up to Birmingham with cash that evening, they were £2,650 boxed with stands and the only imperfection a small 10mm dent in one of the walnut flanks, that I don't notice.

I love them, they still sound superb

Pink Triangle Anniversary DC Battery.

The first one I found was an early-ish one that sadly was lightly damaged; crushed lid and some plinth damage by the courier but still sounded amazing.

My second is a late model and in mint condition with SME V and Otofon Rhoman. This easily bettered an SME 20/2a that I lusted after, shame as I really wanted to keep the SME.

Of Kit I still have...

Bryston B60R - My second of these, just a great all round amplifier, very flexible too with the Pre-Out/Main In as well as being very compact. Not the last word on power, something like the big Denon PMA-2000## amplifiers I have had do that if you really want to rock out but 99% of my listening its not an issue.

KEF Reference Three-Two - Probably the speakers that all round, do the very least wrong. I've had many speakers over the years, and the others that came close to this were the KEF 201/2 and Rega R9.

Sony DVP-S9000ES - I've had this must be getting on for 10-years and despite trying lots of other CDPs, never found anything better and it only cost me a new lens (~£50 at the time).

Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk - Such a flexible tiny little phono stage, dead quiet due to battery operation and I can't imagine changing at all.

Of stuff that has been and gone...

ATC SCM10 - Owned three pairs over the years, moved them on due to house moves and various projects but just love what they do in the right room.

Rega R9 - Probably my biggest regret selling these, up there with some of the best all round speakers I've heard, just do everything right, nice and easy to place in the room, great mix of ease of drive, bass and size.

Rega P9 - Certainly the best turntable I've owned, so simple to use and I can't fault a single thing about it other than making space for the large PSU. Downsized to a P7 as I could not justify the cost compared to the amount of vinyl listening I currently do.

Pink Triangle Anniversary DC Battery.

The first one I found was an early-ish one that sadly was lightly damaged; crushed lid and some plinth damage by the courier but still sounded amazing.

My second is a late model and in mint condition with SME V and Otofon Rhoman. This easily bettered an SME 20/2a that I lusted after, shame as I really wanted to keep the SME.

Superb deck.. would be my nomination too, though I never owned the battery variant. My Anni dated from 1991 so I had Truepoint service it a few months ago - new springs & levers, armboard, minor bearing damage repaired. I also replaced the ageing original PSU with Truepoint's Midas PSU, that has made a big difference to my ears. SME IV on my deck, I used to have a Rohmann until it failed, lovely cartridge. AT ART9 is now resident.

Quested S7R’s in silver white. Responds to just about any tweak i do but is never a dick about it if it’s not a good one. Put a good high pass on them with some nice subs and they’re amazing.

A few years back, I popped into my local HiFi shop for a look around whilst the Mrs was at the hairdressers. In the corner there was a very tatty pair of Pro-Ac Tablet Anniversaries. I got speaking with the salesman and he’d taken them in part exchange and just wanted rid as there condition prevented them from retailing them. I paid £200 (thinking that was a steal even in the poor condition) for them for the garage. Plugged them in to try in my main system and they sounded amazing, even better then what I had which I sold in the end. I restored the cabinets, rewired and filled with some absorbing material and they was stunning, kept for a for years as my main speakers in fact. Should have kept these as some back up speakers thinking about it.

Replacing a “Tesco” mains power-block with the Olson equivalent. I bought mine from eBay for £40 at ten years old. Not an unsubtle improvement. They’re built like tanks and can be rewired easily. I removed the illuminated switch and relocated the input lead to a central socket. I’ve compared it with a more expensive alternative and there was a very minor difference.

Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands

I got them for very cheap, scratch and dent without grills at Best Buy. I didn’t know anything about them, but the build quality looked exceptional, so I took a chance.

They have great deep bass, are very smooth and image really nicely. I recently tried them with a GaN amplifier and they lit up.

Yamaha NS1000XW

Never felt a need to change, others have heard them and offered me cash on the spot.:) Nothing else in the system is in demand so much!

I don’t know of another pair in the UK.. I bought mine from a guy who bought them from a Japanese gentleman who bought them with him when he moved to the UK from Japan.

advertisement

Back