advertisement

Your best Hifi/Audio purchases ever…

For how I listen to music now, it has to be the two Sonos Amps all controlled from my iPad.

Although both were DIY projects, my Nuerochrome Modulus 686 amp, or my BB3 phonostage probably are my best purchases.

Probably overall, the purchase of a new Naim Uniti 1 about 12 years ago, the thing is still going and sounding mighty fine for a one-box, Swiss Army Knife of a piece of audio gear. Almost breaks the record for the longest I have kept anything audio related!

Roksan Xerxes without a doubt.

X2

Another one is the Inca Tech Claymore (Mki Iss6 in my case, both times). A wonderful sounding and powerful little beastie that wiped the floor with all of its competition IMHO. The first one I purchased (and proved to be a massive step up in my system) way back when it was current and I still have my second one that I got as a stop gap but ran as my main amp for many years.

X2

Another one is the Inca Tech Claymore (Mki Iss6 in my case, both times). A wonderful sounding and powerful little beastie that wiped the floor with all of its competition IMHO. The first one I purchased (and proved to be a massive step up in my system) way back when it was current and I still have my second one that I got as a stop gap but ran as my main amp for many years.

My Step FIL has an original Claymore which was in storage for 15 years. About 10 years ago he used for a couple of years and then upgraded, so it's back in storage. I thought it sounded lovely and the Exposure Pre/Power that followed it were different but not better.

Cheers BB

Naim SBL's s/h bargain
Sony XA-777ES SACD player but sadly now having problems playing SACD
Chord Mojo, superb little dac, whether on the move, connectd to a PC or used for streaming through your Hi-FI via a suitable source such as a mobile phone. Outdated quite severely now by the Mojo 2

For difference in SQ, a second pair or stands to lift my ESL63s 50cm off the floor rather than the normal 25cm. Now everything sounds good and I need to re-evaluate how I compare kit.

1. Naim Nait 1. Boogie in a box. JV’s finest product ?
2. Teddy Pardo Teddycap plus. Made me realise how far behind Naim had fallen but also what a brilliant marketing company they are.
3. Teddy Pardo dac and amps. Such a shame that they are no longer made.
4. Richard Dunn built NVA Phono 1. Possibly the best performance/price ratio of the 2010’s. Started me on the NVA ladder.

Honourable mention. Naim 42/110 and 160. Bigger brothers of the Nait but obviously more expensive.

1. Naim Nait 1. Boogie in a box. JV’s finest product ?
2. Teddy Pardo Teddycap plus. Made me realise how far behind Naim had fallen but also what a brilliant marketing company they are.
3. Teddy Pardo dac and amps. Such a shame that they are no longer made.
4. Richard Dunn built NVA Phono 1. Possibly the best performance/price ratio of the 2010’s. Started me on the NVA ladder.

Honourable mention. Naim 42/110 and 160. Bigger brothers of the Nait but obviously more expensive.
Arrh, the good old Nait 1, have one of these but didn't make my list. Not one of JV's finest for sure. That 42/110 easily eats it for breakfast.

$200 HifiMan HE400S planar magnetic headphones.
They seem to reproduce the music but not the noise . . . a hissy cassette recording of an interview
will play back clear as a bell, utterly amazing.
And they're efficient enough to work from a cell phone w/o added amplification.
Caveat: the supplied cables were crap and needed replacing.

But I've never understood why people run more than one system.

Lots of reasons:
You love three different brands of speakers, some music sounds wildly better on your planars (or your walsh drivers, or your line array) than on your super-efficient bass-reflex speakers.
The same applies to phono cartridges: you have a dedicated mono setup for just those records (and it makes a huge difference).
Or you have a $7000 cart/stylus that only plays the newest and cleanest pristine records.
You have a budget turntable with a cheap cart/stylus for your thrift store $1 "beater" records that you still love despite their condition.
You have one system in your bedroom, another in your living room/den, both are tuned to their respective rooms and therefore out of necessity use different amp-and-speaker combos.
Your 5.1 system and your 2.0 system are entirely different (the former is solid-state and has a blu-ray player, & the latter has tubes and a turntable) but occupy the same listening room, or are in separate rooms.

@thomoz

My wife is extremely understanding and abnormally tolerant of the hifi and music...
...so long as it stays in the sitting room :)

Besides there are more fun things to do in the bedroom than play music :)

PS: I once had six turntables in the flat and quite quickly ended up only listening to one. Similar experience with more than one pre etc

@thomoz

My wife is extremely understanding and abnormally tolerant of the hifi and music...
...so long as it stays in the sitting room :)

Besides there are more fun things to do in the bedroom than play music :)
What is this WIFE you speak of? LOL. My housemates are two 14-year old cats (one of them hates rock music, no matter what make of tweeter is voicing it).

Arrh, the good old Nait 1, have one of these but didn't make my list. Not one of JV's finest for sure. That 42/110 easily eats it for breakfast.
The 42/110 was over twice the price of the Nait. If we are looking at best purchases then surely price comes into the equation. Is a 42/110 more than twice as good as a Nait ?
If cost is not a factor then the best purchase is probably the most expensive one.

LFD NCSE - fabulous amp, so easy to love and seemingly impossible to let go of. I might well be buried with the thing - such a great sound to come home to.

Metrum Octave DAC - owned a MKI which after making a bunch of changes and being perpetually unhappy realized that I was better off where I was. Finally settled on the Teac NT-505 DAC/Streamer which is actually quite impressive but couldn't quite let it go and have just put an Octave MKII in a second system.

Wonderfully fluid and organic sound, maybe lacking a bit in detail but it's easy to forgive it's shortcomings when you sit and wonder why you didn't have to flip the album after 20 minutes or so of listening...

advertisement

Back