advertisement

Your best Hifi/Audio purchases ever…

Mine was the Musical Fidelity M3X Vinyl. It brought the biggest leap forward to my Vinyl setup.

I am not sure if it's surprising or not that two of my best (actually most recent) hifi/audio purchases also appear in the "worst" thread: ATC SCM50ASL 'speakers and a Raspberry Pi/piCorePlayer streamer (with Qobuz and BBC Sounds).

I am discovering a wider range of music, listening more and enjoying it even more than before.

I have one system upstairs and one downstairs.
When my wife is upstairs, I listen downstairs and the other way around.
Still together after 30 years !

I live alone but having multiple listening locations is, I find, highly desirable - I have just come in from my ex bike shed - sun in the morning - back bedroom, sun in the evening. And, age etc has reduced my three to four full days cycling to two or three half days. So - lunchtime concert in my main room. Additionally you can spend hours traipsing up and down stairs swapping speakers around, not to mention hours fearing the few hundred quid bike shed system is better than the several thousand quid main room one. Don't hesitate, multiple systems work.

I live alone but having multiple listening locations is, I find, highly desirable - I have just come in from my ex bike shed - sun in the morning - back bedroom, sun in the evening. And, age etc has reduced my three to four full days cycling to two or three half days. So - lunchtime concert in my main room. Additionally you can spend hours traipsing up and down stairs swapping speakers around, not to mention hours fearing the few hundred quid bike shed system is better than the several thousand quid main room one. Don't hesitate, multiple systems work.
A friend of mine has a VPI/Audio Research/Boenick kit upstairs and a CDP/Naim 42-110/DCM Time Window downstairs.
The first one is for his classical music and the second for rock and folk.
He is also a single happy man.

Ditto. I have recently put a conservatory system together so, with the main one and the bedroom, it’s now three. For me the fun is in getting the subsidiary systems sounding as good as possible for minimum outlay. They also work for experimenting with speakers/amps/sources without upsetting the main rig.

Ditto. I have recently put a conservatory system together so, with the main one and the bedroom, it’s now three. For me the fun is in getting the subsidiary systems sounding as good as possible for minimum outlay. They also work for experimenting with speakers/amps/sources without upsetting the main rig.

My bike shed system began when my friend/ex-partner returned my ancient Musical Fidelity MC2s she had replaced. I already had a Topping DAC which I had acquired as a stand in while my Chord Hugo was away. I was so amazed by the quality of the Topping I resolved to keep it. Advised by Radfordman to try a basic Chinese amp to complement it I acquired a Fossi - again amazed at the sound. The MC2s far, far better than I expected, leaving me very happy I didn't accept the £40 I was offered for them when I attempted to sell.

Probably my LP12 back in 1980, then fitted with a SyrinxPU2 and an Azak. Many changes later I still have the LP12, well OK just the plinth, lid and top plate. Syrinx is long gone whilst the Azak is still in its case stashed with a few other hi-fi bits.

Has to be when I first got hooked on Accuphase amps, started with the E350 then E470 and now have a pre/power combo
The Bartok is a close second.
Mac

I couldn’t believe I hadn’t contributed to this thread until I checked the start date:) £400 for a minty boxed pair of Arcs.
The guy was wealthy and selling all to sail around the world. Hence the price. No spikes, no positioning. Speaker heaven.

Probably my Sony Walkman DC2 and koss porta pros I bought in the late 80’s after saving up my wages on summer job as that Walkman lived on my person 24hrs a day. Dolby c for the win but it proved to quite a fragile player/or I was just clumsy as after a few years I managed to break the door hinge which was an expensive repair then it fell out my pocket when on the bike and it just exploded :(. I think I bought a Panasonic RQ S4 to replace it as the Sony dc2 was not available anymore or at least any place I knew to look.

Currently listening to the HiFiman Sundara through my mojo 2 & poly, I’d go as far and say they’re my purchase of the year for the £189 I recently paid for an open box unit (Amazon), not a mark on them and all the internal packaging was all intact and unopened so I guess someone must have took one look and thought “Nahhhh” so returned them.

52303496849_4203a28db6_h.jpg

My Rotel RA1570 amp, bought originally as a stop gap but remains after 6 years. Built in DAC is really handy and sounds great with another great buy, the Raspberry Pi4.

Cheers BB

Urei-811A-Pair-Awesome-Cond-Near-Mint-604-8G.jpg
A pair of Urei 811As and a single Urei 809 for a couple of hundred from a guy who used to do the sound at the RAF Valley airshow.
I managed to pair up the 809 and very nice it is too.
For those not in the know, the Ureis were what replaced Tannoys in studios in the 70s - 16 inch Altec dual concentric and time aligned crossovers. The 804s have a 12" JBL dual concentric, and are very similar to the classic JBL 4425.
a.jpg

Still use them in my workshop system. Indeed I'd use them in the house but they have the lowest WAF on the planet.

Easy…. Naim Nait 3 with Rega Elas in the early 90’s fed from my trusty P3. First ‘proper’ hifi. Lovely sound and synergy, made me realise how great music can sound. Has kept my interest in hifi to this day.

I've owned 100s of items, and only a few really stand out.

Chord DAC64 MkII - Bought new in 2006, kept it for 8 years. Still a great DAC today but at the time it was a game changer for me. Brilliant, and I still love Chord DACs today.

ATC SCM40A - Just amazing VFM. Work in almost any room, unfussy about placement. Deep, tight and insightful bass. ATC midrange dome a revelation if you haven't heard one. Great smooth, high resolution treble. Brilliant integration throughout and fantastic inbuilt amplification. I don't have them now but they were the most long standing speakers I owned.

Dynaudio Heritage Special - Replaced the ATCs. Just as full-bodied and precise with it. HF on another level. The best thing compared with the ATCs is that they're utterly engaging at low volumes, whilst being able to play seriously loud (and composed) when the mood strikes. Look up Dynaudio Jupiter - it explains a lot.

Musical Fidelity AMS35i - The amplifier that Sugden should have made. I've owned two. Crystal clear, pure, effortless and seriously powerful. Makes very competent (and expensive) Class AB amps sound grainy and dull by comparison. Built like a tank too.

Technics SL1200G / SL1210G - Effortless to use. Stunning engineering and build. State of the art performance. A bargain.

advertisement

Back