advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

As you say the work Paul has done goes well beyond a component swap, although i have no way to compare to the stock cross-over, unless i pick up another set :D. It would be very interesting to compare them to the 1000X. Fancy selling them Doc?

No thanks. :)

47086562994_c42dff9e31_b.jpg

The first speakers that ever made me cry.

Apologies for bumping an older thread, but on the topic of the woofer's magnet/coil becoming misaligned due to knocks (as per the comment in your upgrade thread, James) I'm wondering how risky it is to ship these loudspeakers these days? I'm considering a pair, but they will have to be shipped to me. Damage from moving is something I definitely do not want to deal with. Is it a certainty with drivers of this age?

You'd have to drop them to shift the magnets, so at 70lbs a side that's pretty much guaranteed with any courier...

Not what I wanted to hear, haha! The seller is suggesting putting them on a pallet. Not sure if that is more, or less of a risk...

If there is corrosion around the motor assembly, then the adhesive would already be compromised and the magnet is held in place mostly by magnetic attraction. It wouldn't take much of a drop to dislodge the magnet, if my experience is anything to go by.

I suggest you ask the seller to remove each woofer (if they feel confident doing so) and take photos of the motor assembly. If they look clean and uncorroded, then they are more likely to survive travel.

HTH.

Not what I wanted to hear, haha! The seller is suggesting putting them on a pallet. Not sure if that is more, or less of a risk...

i had the same dilemma,i got some Tannoys via a palatalized delivery and they were spot on.

Its cost a fair bit more,but worth it speakers were wrapped in cardboard and clingfilm and then strapped so no movement.

Regular shifting of boxes to get to more boxes depending on the loading doesn't help with a ordinary parcel delivery.

Should imagine anything of weight gets manhandled,potentially.

A palatalized delivery will be more organised in the wagon and a lot of things are less lightly to happen.

i had the same dilemma,i got some Tannoys via a palatalized delivery and they were spot on.

Its cost a fair bit more,but worth it speakers were wrapped in cardboard and clingfilm and then strapped so no movement.

Regular shifting of boxes to get to more boxes depending on the loading doesn't help with a ordinary parcel delivery.

A palatalized delivery will be more organised in the wagon and a lot of things are less lightly to happen.
Also the only way you can get them off is with a fork lift and that will put them down gently. If you pack speakers in boxes the courier just slides them to the door them kicks them out. They then end over end them to move them. I've had double boxed speakers damaged like this, if they can throw them they will. Nobody can throw a pallet with stuff on it.

If there is corrosion around the motor assembly, then the adhesive would already be compromised and the magnet is held in place mostly by magnetic attraction. It wouldn't take much of a drop to dislodge the magnet, if my experience is anything to go by.

I suggest you ask the seller to remove each woofer (if they feel confident doing so) and take photos of the motor assembly. If they look clean and uncorroded, then they are more likely to survive travel.

HTH.
Great idea, thanks! If I decide I can fit these into my room I may very well ask for that. Although, at the same time, I doubt many sellers are comfortable doing so. Worth asking though!

Thanks for the positive experience, much appreciated.

Just pick em up, I once drive sheffield to Dundee for a cartridge
If only it were that easy! The Yamahas are only 4600km and a ferry ride away! ;)

advertisement

Back