advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

cooky1257

pfm Member
Finally got round to sorting some stands and stripping down my active JBL's to hook up the Yammies.
Nice matched pair in piano black from Dandy, £700 a real bargain....
Clarity, detail retrieval, mid bass and dynamics are wonderful.
It became very apparent that I could 'hear' the Beryllium-them having a very similar mid signature to my JBL's which was nice.
Often described as bass light-not to me, ok they don't go seismic but there's plenty of snappy articulate bass on offer. Scale doesn't come close to the big JBL's but very satisfying all the same. Interestingly enough their footprint including stands is about the same as the Big'uns too.They image quite well too, not the deepest soundstage I've heard but extending out wider that the speakers.
You can make them sound very ordinary(crap tbh) by running the top/mids hot. -2 dB on the mids and -1 dB tweet and they come together nicely.

Keepers(but where???)

Welcome to the club: we're big fans ourselves! In fact, we have several pairs about the place, on our bespoke stands - at least one of which runs active. Still one of the best after all these years . . . and you can't honestly say that about much.

Cheers. They have a modern clean sound that suits me fine-I'm very much a fan of Be, way ahead of their time in many respects I can only guess what they'd cost if still made today.

Update,

I've played about with placement, epoxied granite base and tops to sand filled stands and left them powered up for days. mid and treble now @ -3dB.
They just get better and better, dynamically they are superb, the imaging isn't their best trait but they bounce along making all genres of music really enjoyable to the point where sound staging doesn't matter one bit. Fingerprints on the piano-black are a drag but micro fibre buffs em up nicely. The other half loves them too.

Trawling the web for info re crossovers-they are sounding great, could the change with time be the caps 'healing' after lying idle for a while? Either way I'm leaving as is.
I'll maybe drop a low value Mundorf supreme bypass cap across the tweeter cap see what happens.

Yamaha NS1000m now going for £1200 on Ebay - jeez oh. Could have bought 4 pair about 20 years ago at an auction for around £150 a pair.

Mid & treble on -3db wow!! I've got the 'X' version and have always had the front pots trimmed back too. Until I put them on a Yamaha B-2... now both mid and treble are set dead centre and they are singing. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but I have heard a lot of very decent systems, and this equals them easily. Adding the B2 added depth, width and relaxation, it's bizarre... but I guess they were designed to work together and wow they do.

Demoing a pair today. The tweeters may be off, giving intermittent sound. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Iffy/grubby contacts on the tweeter level adjustment pot. If a dead tweeter it would either work, or not, rather than be intermittent. Is the issue on one or both speakers?

Hard to tell, since the power went out during the dem. Really good to know that sound of any sort means no dead tweeter. I put the tweeter level to +3db and the mid to -3db to isolate the tweeter sound and maybe that's why it was being flakey. I assume the pots are something easy to fix?

They are sealed as far as I know, though I've read of people completely immersing them in cleaning solution in order to clean, others with success in squeezing/spraying some contact cleaner in some access holes/slits on the side/rear and doing the usual vigorous 'working' of the dial. If you know what level you want the tweeters (and mid drivers) set at, you can bypass the L-Pad pots and put a resistor of the relevant value in line instead, I believe. Check with YNWOAN or sq225917 here on the forum, both of whom have pretty extensive knowledge of the workings of NS1000s and may be able to advise on exactly what's needed.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like not a deal breaker then considering the asking price is $600 and the are in great shape. Will post pics if/when I get them home

Excellent, a fine pair of speakers for sure.

PS To most peoples ears (certainly mine) they sound right with the mid and treble backed off a notch or two, so don't worry if they sound a bit fierce when set to "flat".

The response on mid and tweeter will depend on the condition of the pots. If they play on all drivers they should be good. Intermittent level from tweeter could hint at damaged coil, they do get abused. As long as domes are OK you can unwind a turn off the coils and resolder to fixed a cracked wire. The pots will compensate for the reduced sensitivity of losing a turn on the coils.

Both ynwoan and I have a pair. I use a pair of Raal ribbons instead of the yam tweeters and he uses a new xo on his with active driven bass units. Both of us have mids about +1db.

Mine measured very flat in room at +1db on mid and tweeter before the switch to the Raal's. I've heard some at shows with very odd adjustments on the mid and tweeter

Let REW and a U-mic be your guide.

Re the XO, the silver caps are bipolar pio and last well, they aren't lytics as often claimed. The coils are decent, but better air cores help, be sure to match the dcr to keep the original transfer function

Check out ynwoans thread on Audioflat for details of a full rebuild..

I actually run the minds on mine flat (rather than +1dB) - -3 sounds very weirdly recessed to me and does some odd things to the stereo imagery.

advertisement

Back