advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

dont feel bad. i dont get it either...and that goes for pretty much all of it. . the closest thing I enjoy is The Bad Plus and a couple of brad mehldau's albums(the non overly jazzy ones)

the rest of it? id rather listen to anything else. no thanks.

so yeah, try the bad plus and brad mehldau..also Medeski Martin Wood, and sex mob

[youtube]OruzDa0He-g[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the soulful jazz of the fifties and early sixties. Something with a beat. Hard Bop. Something with structure.

It loses me at the moment when it turns into (in the words of G. Scott Heron) "Black Classical Music". I still find a lot of that pretentious and relatively impenetrable. A lot of modern Jazz leaves me stone cold but I've enjoyed some Zorn courtesy of SSB.

Cynical!

Besides, if he did enjoy the jazz it might be an option, but he doesn't!

The only music thus far appreciated being some Supersilent, Medeski martin wood, Yusef Lateef - Easternsounds, Joshua Redman. So considering the amount I have sampled not much, so not enough to leave my wife for so far

I saw Supersilent the other week. They were awesome.

Have you tried the god-like Sun Ra yet?

Do you "get" Frank Zappa ?

Did not take much heed in the day but did not dislike.

Now is a different story, after random listening on spotify I think a serious listen is needed of me (I hope this does not become overly expensive for me)

Thanks

Chris

I saw Supersilent the other week. They were awesome.

Have you tried the god-like Sun Ra yet?

Yes, not over keen. Saw Jerry Dammers Spatial orchestra (title may not be correct) at the Barbican last year, and as you know they cover a lot of Sun-ra and for me and my wife it was hard work. To be honest on this event a jazz trio were playing in the auditorium, sounded like the necks but could not be sure as I had only just 'got' into their stuff and I could have listened all night.

Cheers

Chris

As a latecomer to jazz, this is a subject of some interest to me.

I do think that exposure to the music does over time change the way you listen. There are many records (not just jazz) which left me cold first time around, and eventually became favourites.

To me there is an energy, a level of complexity and a degree of expression in some jazz records that is hard to find in other genres.

Yes I agree in part, except surely all genres have music of some depth and maybe you have not found it, as myself with some jazz.

Thanks Chaz

Chris

dont feel bad. i dont get it either...and that goes for pretty much all of it. . the closest thing I enjoy is The Bad Plus and a couple of brad mehldau's albums(the non overly jazzy ones)]

Thanks Teddy and I still have not started on your folk/americana list

Chris

Did not take much heed in the day but did not dislike.

Now is a different story, after random listening on spotify I think a serious listen is needed of me (I hope this does not become overly expensive for me)

How about Captain Beefheart then?

advertisement

Back