advertisement

Why can't I get all jazz

Is Captain Beefheart jazz ?

Saying that is Frank Zappa Jazz ?

Anyhow, I prefer Zappa, but the captain also needs a little exploring

Chris

Neither are, Beefheart in particular isn't. But you seem to be more receptive to 'contemporary' music with an improv element which Zappa certainly fits with.
The Electric Masada clips above fit that category too.

Chris,
Do you like blues?
Have you tried listening to things like Weather Report?

Have you never derived pleasure from something you had to work at? Putting in a bit of effort can mean greater rewards. Not with everything all of the time, but it's often true in life as well as music.

I can't disagree with that Anex. That is why I suggested being 'open' to stuff, but if it comes to a point where you genuinely either don't like, or don't 'get' something, it's time to move on.

Don't forget our OP asked why he didn't 'get' all jazz. Does anybody?

I was having a conversation in work the other day with a chap who is about ten years younger than me. His knowledge of popular music from the 1950s onwards is bordering on the encyclopaedic, but he listens to no classical or jazz whatsoever.. at all. He seems to think that it needs some sort of special education to 'get' it. I suggested that all he needs to do is listen to the tune (NOT in a Linn way.. :) )

Much music only starts to make sense after a few listens. Then you prick up your ears and realise that you like this tune and you get to know it better. Fair enough, but I could listen to, for e.g., hip-hop from now till eternity and derive no pleasure from it.
Why would I want to do that?

Mull

Chris,
Do you like blues?
Have you tried listening to things like Weather Report?

Yes, but except for a bit of muddy, acoustic blues

Yes, and unfortunately another type of jazz (is it jazz-rock) that I have never been able to connect with

Chris

Neither are, Beefheart in particular isn't. But you seem to be more receptive to 'contemporary' music with an improv element which Zappa certainly fits with.
The Electric Masada clips above fit that category too.

Anex, Zorn certainly works for me (even the electric guitar as a lead)although I prefer Execution Ground, especially the ambient tracks

Thanks

Chris

I've probably missed the boat on the conversation about Jazz but the secret is to forget jazz. At the risk of annoying Jazz fans it is an example of when many derivative, sick and bad things get made under a single genre label which then muddies the water for any innovative and good things that came first.

[I've just moved the rest of my post into it's own genre.]

But what IS jazz?

There seems to be so many definitions - what would be the one overriding strand of dna that runs through all jazz music?

Or was there a genetic split in the sixties? I'm a big fan of Gil Scott Heron and he suggests that to him, Prince and James Brown are great jazz musicians.

Yes they are different, only skipped through his first few but nothing stood out

Thanks anyway Chris
I'd probably suggest spending a little extra time on Maiden Voyage. There are some very special moments in that album which might move you.

Don't forget our OP asked why he didn't 'get' all jazz. Does anybody?

Fair point :)

I could listen to, for e.g., hip-hop from now till eternity and derive no pleasure from it.
Why would I want to do that?

Because in the same way that (probably) no one likes all jazz, I don't see how anyone who is genuinely open to new music could not like all hiphop.
There will be something out there as long as you're prepared to look for it as we're talking about one of the predominant genres of the last 30 odd years.

Perhaps I can't back down from a challenge, but I have to find these things, particularly when I initially find the music too challenging to understand.

I think I have fairly wide tastes in music but for the life of me I struggle with some jazz

I like some of the Necks,EST,Les Mcann,Preservation town hall jazz band, Ry Cooder-jazz album, moondog and one Roland Kirk lp

I have listened to Miles Davies, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Count Basie
plus other jazz classics, I also listen to them in the car but all to no avail as there maybe just a couple of tracks I enjoy

Any Ideas for new jazz pleas

Has anyone else had difficulty appreciating/enjoying styles of jazz!

sorry to tell you bad news but if you don't appreciate miles, duke and the count, your case is helpless. stick to whatever you really enjoy as there's probably plenty of great music still to discover there and forget about jazz. if that's not your thing, there's no shame in that. life is too short to lose time over musical genres we don't like!;)

beathunters
sorry to tell you bad news but if you don't appreciate miles, duke and the count, your case is helpless. stick to whatever you really enjoy as there's probably plenty of great music still to discover there and forget about jazz. if that's not your thing, there's no shame in that. life is too short to lose time over musical genres we don't like!

Possibly true for me
However I am enjoying the journey, and found some music that I will buy into.

Yes, but except for a bit of muddy, acoustic blues

Yes, and unfortunately another type of jazz (is it jazz-rock) that I have never been able to connect with

Chris

Ok; maybe you could try some Jimmy Smith or Kenny Burrell (together on Home Cooking, which is quite bluesy, or Midnight Special or Back at the Chicken Shack), or Charles Mingus' immortal Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul from the Ah Um album, which is Gospel-inspired and has amazing drive. If that doesn't work maybe you're immune and you can save a fortune on Blue Note, Verve etc.

Possibly true for me
However I am enjoying the journey, and found some music that I will buy into.

yeah chris, discovering new things out of the blue is so exciting! call it jazz, rock, blues, electro, "call it whatever" said miles davis about his seventies jazz-deep funk experiments. as long as we enjoy the ride, who cares about the destination?:cool:

sorry to tell you bad news but if you don't appreciate miles, duke and the count, your case is helpless. stick to whatever you really enjoy as there's probably plenty of great music still to discover there and forget about jazz. if that's not your thing, there's no shame in that. life is too short to lose time over musical genres we don't like!;)

At last!
And Captain Beafheart and Frank Zappa are not jazz, so where do they come in? Besides, it would take several lifetimes to get to know ALL kinds of music. Nobody has that capacity. One does what one can and what one enjoys.

Fair point :)

Because in the same way that (probably) no one likes all jazz, I don't see how anyone who is genuinely open to new music could not like all hiphop.
There will be something out there as long as you're prepared to look for it as we're talking about one of the predominant genres of the last 30 odd years.

Perhaps I can't back down from a challenge, but I have to find these things, particularly when I initially find the music too challenging to understand.

You swine!! Stop being so damned logical!!

Yes, you are probably correct and there is almost bound to be some hippy hoppy thing out there that I find interesting. You have me there!

But, I don't need to look for hippy hoppy stuff, because there is already more than enough other stuff to keep me occupied.

See, I don't have anything against any genre, but with what time I have left, I'd sooner pursue my own interests, than try to 'dig' stuff which doesn't move me.

Mull

Check out these talented Jazz artists;

Scott Hamilton -- Manhattan Jazz Quintet -- Cannonball Adderley -- Milt Jackson -- Art Blakey -- Gerry Mulligan -- Sonny Rollins -- Hank Mobley - Red Garland -- Tom Harrell -- Tommy Smith -- Shelly Manne -- Art Pepper -- Zoot Sims

Should keep you busy checking them out, extremely talented artists!!

advertisement

Back