advertisement

Who's had good results from upgraded power lead II

Dave, do what I did , a good quality 5kw pure sine wave inverter and 6x 200ah batteries.. Ac - dc - uberstable ac
This feeds my hifi room permanently (and upstairs dstv , router etc) -- a few solar panels to charge when Escum does its thing.. very pure power as well...
Cost me R30 000 .. rolling blackout will come back this year with a vengance..

Life can be a real bitch some times...

This evening, we had a surprise electrical storm which wasn't in the forecast and snuck up on us from behind a bunch of trees.

My wife had the system up to listen to Classic fM while I was tinkering on a PC in the workshop. The first I knew of the storm was one incredibly loud bang and all the lights went out.

After switching off everything (luckily all PCs had been disconnected), I reset the earth leakage breaker and went on a walkabout to switch everything back on.

The audio system came up but with no right channel output. Subsequent powering off resulted in a medium-loud pop from the right speaker.

Right now, I'm too pissed off to do any further checking to diagnose the problem but have a suspicion the Classe' pre-amp has some component blown on the right channel. If this is the case, it will be repairable as the local Johannesburg-based Classe' agents have a decent support setup. If, however, the problem lies in the right monoblock, I might have a problem as the Jeff Rowland agents are an unknown quantity (and in Cape Town).

It's a pity I'm here in SA while you folk are in the UK, as I could supply a set of goodies for any testing (Quintet filter/distribution; a mix of PS Audio power cords - 5 x Statement SC and 1 x Power Punch; plus a mix of PS Audio Transcendent interconnects - 2 balanced pairs and 3 single-ended pairs) as I won't be using them for a while as the workshops only re-open some time next week... :(

Oh well, back to FLAC files played through an Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 into a set of Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers... (Vinyl can have a well-earned holiday)

Dave, do what I did , a good quality 5kw pure sine wave inverter and 6x 200ah batteries.. Ac - dc - uberstable ac
This feeds my hifi room permanently (and upstairs dstv , router etc) -- a few solar panels to charge when Escum does its thing.. very pure power as well...
Cost me R30 000 .. rolling blackout will come back this year with a vengance..

Hi Rodney, see below... Thunderstorm time... :(

Been a while, but I think one of the PS Audio jobbies, around £1200, 6 sockets, springs to mind.

Hi SPT, that was most likely their Power Plant Premier from their last range - designed in Boulder but built in the Far East - which was not a great product.

Most units suffered from the regeneration shutting down and then raw mains being fed through via the bypass circuitry. Also, the PPPs used sit and click away to themselves when they got bored...

I had one on home trial and experienced first-hand the regeneration shut-down so disconnected it immediately, re-boxed it and shipped it back to the importer.

Their latest range (P3/P5/P10) are all a completely new design and all are designed AND built in Boulder, CO. Reports to date have all been positive but they're not cheap - particularly (I understand) in the UK...

My experience with mains filters has not been positive. I find they can sit on dynamics and the sense of scale and space. I'm not sure, but wonder if they adversely affect mains impedance, perhaps. They do seem to produce effects which I'd associate with limiting an amp's ability to follow fast transients, for example. Similarly, I think regenerators need to be vastly over-specced if they are not to have simlar effects. I may not have heard a decent one, of course. It is why I also wonder about the effectiveness of ferrite chokes on mains cables.

SPT, from discussions held with other local audio nuts who have filters/regenerators, some have similar concerns to yours while others seem quite happy. The only correlation I've been able to determine is that those who have concerns run brutish amps which are not particularly efficient (mainly Class B or Class AB amps with one or two running big Class A solid-state amps), while the rest run reasonably efficient or lowish power amps and don't seem to have the same problems.

My theory (about the brontosaurus?) is that the problem is - in part at least - due to power bandwidth handling constraints where the filter/regenerator is running either just inside or, for peaks, is being pushed beyond its rated capacity.

In my setup, the speakers have highish sensitivity (93db/w@1m) and those JR monoblocks run at an efficiency level of 80% (ICEpower-based) so the combination results in the Quintet filter operating well inside its design parameters.

I've never detected any signs of limiting of dynamics (both micro and macro) nor have I detected any signs of spatial compression - quite the opposite. Transients are handled particularly well - Charly Antolini's "Knock Out" album (drum gymnastics at their best) on a direct-to-metal master vinyl pressing is a great "show-off album" for rimshots and kickdrum.

The Quintet is rated for 1500 watts and I doubt that - even at unrealistic levels - the power drain through the Quintet exceeds 800 watts with CDT/DAC/Pre/Powers all running.

Power leads are bullshit.

Use a digital graphic equaliser for cheaper, obvious effect.

There IS one thing you can say about power cords... Without one your rig ain't gonna work...

The comment about EQ is one very loaded straight line and I think I'll avoid it like the plague... :)

There IS one thing you can say about power cords... Without one your rig ain't gonna work...

The comment about EQ is one very loaded straight line and I think I'll avoid it like the plague... :)

It was an obvious piss take I hope.

Still, given no standards for EQ in studios, and with us being at the mercy of the balance of the speakers used in said studios, the case for using them is good, despite the time domain issues.

Life can be a real bitch some times...

This evening, we had a surprise electrical storm which wasn't in the forecast and snuck up on us from behind a bunch of trees.

My wife had the system up to listen to Classic fM while I was tinkering on a PC in the workshop. The first I knew of the storm was one incredibly loud bang and all the lights went out.

After switching off everything (luckily all PCs had been disconnected), I reset the earth leakage breaker and went on a walkabout to switch everything back on.

The audio system came up but with no right channel output. Subsequent powering off resulted in a medium-loud pop from the right speaker.

Sorry about your broken kit - it`s always worse when it`s just random bad luck with no one to blame.

Then there`s the Cricket......

DE, sorry for your news. Hope it gets sorted soon. In the meantime, perhaps you have a chance to reacquaint yourself with grass roots hifi. Can sometimes be refreshing in a 'why the hell not?' kind of way.

Will this thread continue to enlighten us until February ?

Or will we have to start a new one before then.

Raga, I for one would prefer it if Keith looked at the Nordost ones first, for reasons I explained at the time. Perhaps later, depending on what he finds? I think it would be better not to push it, right now. Not all that constructive, in the circumstances.

Still no takers then

Some are conspicuous by their abscence since i posted the offer.

What worries me is it that you all think your opinions make the slightest difference.

The last metre of cable.

I think. So it must be ??

Bullocks there are far more important issues.

Give it a rest.

At least until February, when you can all repeat your views again Ad Nauseam.

Remarks like that make me quite certain I'd advise no one to think of touching your cables.
The Kimber is wha it is? the other cable is belden with a uk plug on one end & female iec on the other, they are not "my" cables, it's yet another excuse.

This sort of response is what i exoected to be honest, not from sue though, bit surprised

The last metere is not important, i offer the last metre to be tested, to see what effect it has on a given piece of equipment, what is the problem here, surely this is why people buy such a cable & a point disputed by anyone who dissagrees such as yourself, obviously, why do you & sue especially, think this a bad idea when this is thrown around very often as a reason mains cables do not work, i'm puzzled by this.

I'm not surprised but at the same time very dissapointed by the reaction, almost feel like these threads are now nothing more than ego driven nonesense to spout one's claims, when faced with a challenge, back away quietly or told " not to push it" as a bad idea at this specific time, whatever this means.

It feels quite cowardly after all the pages of claims here.

I ask sue, why do you personally think that asking some who state that the last metre of cable is of no importance, some who have access to equipment who could test the effect of such a cable on a given item, a bad idea at this time, i'm curious, surely anyone buying such a cable purchases for this very reason, to prevent rfi entering the equipment, why else would anyone purchase one.

Rag, I dare say Keith will be around in due course. My guess he tends to log on in the shop and has other things to do in the evening.

Mind you I have to disagree that these threads are "nothing more than ego driven nonsense" they also include issues of loss and identity, belonging, status, commercial interest and other stuff which is why I enjoy them. I'm not very interested in wire.

advertisement

Back