advertisement

Who's had good results from upgraded power lead II

I feel he may take this up, i do hope so as some responses here have been quite dissapointing, especially from one member who i now wonder why they are here in the first place given this opportunity & then be told to basically back off from it.

Starting to understand how James Randi must have felt, same old excuses. Obviously my cables are sprinkled with magic dust that are not to be trusted.

A test such as this would put an end to speculation, if it proves that a cable such as this has no impact on rfi entering a given piece of equipment & all the doubters are proven correct & all those who hear a difference are hearing because they want to, this is fine by me, i am big enough to conced to this, at least we would know rather than having endless mains cable threads repeating the same claims from either side.

I will wait for Venton to return, an obvious genuine guy who sticks to his convictions.

At the very least i have now learned how to stop a mains cable thread in it's tracks, offer some reality.

I feel he may take this up, i do hope so as some responses here have been quite dissapointing, especially from one member who i now wonder why they are here in the first place given this opportunity & then be told to basically back off from it.

Starting to understand how James Randi must have felt, same old excuses. Obviously my cables are sprinkled with magic dust that are not to be trusted.

Wasn't I clear? It's not the cables at all.

I'm not entirely certain measuring RFI in the equipment is as straightforward as some think. Moreover its merely one idea as to the possible reason cables may affect gear-if they do at all.

Keith has offered to measure the FR of his actives when powered by this mid/high mains lead that has been said to strip away bass compared to when powered by the stock lead.

Good to see the thread taking on a rather comic feel now, much more pleasant.

We patiently await Ventons post of his findings. I wonder how much he will be influenced by the many suggestions as to how he finds out what he thinks he is hearing.

Has there really been 890 posts about a bit of short wire connecting your mains ring to your amp/source? :p

Raga, there have been several offers to take the Randi Challenge. The challengers all withdrew when Randi's preconditions were set out. I can't remember the details, but the general feeling seems to be that the test would not be entirely without bias.

On the other point, I was trying to put you off what seems to me to be a very self destructive line of attack, but you have failed to take the hint and instead turned your fire on me, so I shall be honest with you. My impression is that quite a few people think you have behaved like a dickhead on this thread. I was trying to get you to understand that some of us believe that you have dug yourself a hole, and should stop digging, but you have pressed on. You have done the 'subjectivist' viewpoint few favours throughout these 50 odd sorry pages and this thread would, I feel, have been somewhat better tempered without your contributions. Sorry to have to say that, but the discreet approach didn't seem to be working.

Has there really been 890 posts about a bit of short wire connecting your mains ring to your amp/source? :p
I think you will find they were mainly about the people connecting a bit of short wire rather than the wire itself.

Raga, there have been several offers to take the Randi Challenge. The challengers all withdrew when Randi's preconditions were set out. I can't remember the details, but the general feeling seems to be that the test would not be entirely without bias.

On the other point, I was trying to put you off what seems to me to be a very self destructive line of attack, but you have failed to take the hint and instead turned your fire on me, so I shall be honest with you. My impression is that quite a few people think you have behaved like a dickhead on this thread. I was trying to get you to understand that some of us believe that you have dug yourself a hole, and should stop digging, but you have pressed on. You have done the 'subjectivist' viewpoint few favours throughout these 50 odd sorry pages and this thread would, I feel, have been somewhat better tempered without your contributions. Sorry to have to say that, but the discreet approach didn't seem to be working.
Venton would dissagree i feel, i have been one of the few here to answer the op as requested & have been thanked for this by the op, responding to the other nonesense is all, well nonesense as it serves no purpose on this thread.

You have also been found out i'm afraid

Your line regarding bias is quite predictable & expected, i fear you don't want to know as it may prove your personal beliefs wrong, this is where we differ, i have no such beliefs, i want the truth.

Kieth or anyone here capable of carrying out such a test without prejudice is welcome to carry out such a test any way they see fit, as long as it measures the effect of a stock mains lead on say an amp compared to the same test with the yello or any after market cable they wish i will be happy, is that more suitable or maybe you will find something wrong here also, no bias here is there.

My respect level for a few has dropped to zero since reading some responses to this request.

The truth is boring, who wants the truth when you can have argument & personal ego driven nonesense instead.

++1 in both camps by the looks of things

At least i have the balls to admit i could be wrong, if so, fine, some here need to man up.

The big foot effect, the not knowing is what keeps it alive & interesting, who wants the boring old truth. Who would then have a voice to show off their superior intellect in a damning post

What a load of .....

Ragaman, I can understand it is frustrating not to get an immediate response and some people only look into pfm very occasionally. I sometimes don't come here for weeks. It is Keith's business so I have no doubt he will be here bright and early in the morning.

Ragaman, I can understand it is frustrating not to get an immediate response and some people only look into pfm very occasionally. I sometimes don't come here for weeks. It is Keith's business so I have no doubt he will be here bright and early in the morning.
I am talking about people who have responded here this evening, not anyone who hasn't seen this yet, obviously, i fully expect Kieth to be a man of his convictions, he seems a good bloke, but others here have the usual excuses, bias, where is the bias here?

I am quite happy to be proven wrong, this is still not good enough for some as it may prove them wrong also, i don't care either way as long as it puts an end to this endless nonesense & it is nonesense.

The op asked a simple question, i for one answered it the only way i could & get knocked for doing so, the rest is as i say pointless as it serves no purpose to Venton.

It is quite frustrating but more dissapointing by certain members who i had respect for as i thought their intentions were real, they are not & have been found out here.

The cable has been despatched today.
I apologise for starting a thread which has caused people to be insulted and belittled. I was called naive earlier for doing this, and that is fair enough.
I've never tweaked my hifi in 22 years, and a few months ago did some updating which gave me good gains. Following along this path I came to the cable products which piqued my curiosity.
I was kind of aware this was a contentious subject, and if you read my original post you'll see I tried to mitigate for this.
Yes, some people have been helpful, including Raga. Some others less so, but I expect if we discussed something other than cables we'd get along fine.
I hope the thread dies down now as it's getting personal again, in a couple of weeks I will update. But maybe not, as that might be naive, and start off another row. I'll pm those who offered help though.
That's me for now on this thread I think, see you all around elsewhere.

My experience with mains filters has not been positive. I find they can sit on dynamics and the sense of scale and space. I'm not sure, but wonder if they adversely affect mains impedance, perhaps. They do seem to produce effects which I'd associate with limiting an amp's ability to follow fast transients, for example. Similarly, I think regenerators need to be vastly over-specced if they are not to have simlar effects. I may not have heard a decent one, of course. It is why I also wonder about the effectiveness of ferrite chokes on mains cables.

There is no mechanism for them to do this sue.

Firstly They are not filtering at 50hz as the data sheets show. Also the mains impedance is not related to the output impedance of the power supply in your kit.

Remember it's been reduced in voltage, rectified to DC, smoothed by reservoir caps, voltage regulated then further smoothed, filtered bypassed by additional caps.

The caps in the psu are the source of transient power, also limited by the psu and amp design. So sorry this is not what s going on.

Perhaps you actually do have an issue with rf but don't like the sound of your kit with it reduced?

I'm not entirely certain measuring RFI in the equipment is as straightforward as some think. Moreover its merely one idea as to the possible reason cables may affect gear-if they do at all.

Keith has offered to measure the FR of his actives when powered by this mid/high mains lead that has been said to strip away bass compared to when powered by the stock lead.

Good to see the thread taking on a rather comic feel now, much more pleasant.

You'll need an rf spectrum analyser, which I don't have. I can certainly look at a very wide bandwidth on a scope which will provide some info (plus it does have some crude FFT capability. I can very accurately measure FR with and without esoteric cables both electrically from the output of dacs and amps and acoustically (although that seems a bit pointless and less accurate). I can also measure transient/impulse response.

There will be no change in FR ir IR.

I will test as many cables as people are willing to send.

As an initial pass I will get a length of shielded cable today and make up a lead and measure that.

My mains is very constant at 242Vac.

I have tried many different varieties of 'HiFI' mains leads and cannot tell the difference in a blind test over the last 30 years.

Remarkably, my friend had a noticeable improvement in Picture Quality on a Satellite box using a screened mains cable, but I put that down to poor design of the satellite box.

My mains is very constant at 242Vac.

I have tried many different varieties of 'HiFI' mains leads and cannot tell the difference in a blind test over the last 30 years.

Remarkably, my friend had a noticeable improvement in Picture Quality on a Satellite box using a screened mains cable, but I put that down to poor design of the satellite box.

More than likely, especially if the inboard power supply has poor RFI filtering.

A cable is rarely a panacea, but part of a MUCH larger circuit, and if the circuit has major flaws or issues elsewhere likely to be affected by a bit of screened wire on the input, this says more about the quality of circuit design than anything about the magical qualities of a mains cable IME.

advertisement

Back