advertisement

Who's had good results from upgraded power lead II

There is no mechanism for them to do this sue.
SOS says differently http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/articles/mainsproblems.asp.

"Mains filters commonly 'backfire' by coupling noise into the equipment, which is exactly what they're supposed to deal with! This happens because the mains earth wire that the filter's 'earth' terminal has to be connected to doesn't look like an earth to the RF signals that the filter is trying to deal with. Instead, it can look more like an aerial! Also, when several items have filters, all the RF noise that's picked up in cable shields and by metal cases is summed together, but has no particular place to go. Meanwhile, each filtering capacitor inside contributes a current leakage (including noise) from the live side, through the mains earth wiring. <snip>"

I don't place audio gear on filters. But I do use filters to "quarantine" the few remaining other things (including my digital transport, connected via TOSLINK) on the same circuit.

SOS says differently http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/articles/mainsproblems.asp.

"Mains filters commonly 'backfire' by coupling noise into the equipment, which is exactly what they're supposed to deal with! This happens because the mains earth wire that the filter's 'earth' terminal has to be connected to doesn't look like an earth to the RF signals that the filter is trying to deal with. Instead, it can look more like an aerial! Also, when several items have filters, all the RF noise that's picked up in cable shields and by metal cases is summed together, but has no particular place to go. Meanwhile, each filtering capacitor inside contributes a current leakage (including noise) from the live side, through the mains earth wiring."

I don't place audio gear on filters. But I do use filters to "quarantine" any other things (including my digital transport, connected via TOSLINK) on the same circuit.

Interesting article Darren but a bit too technical for many members. I suspect the aerial assumption is based on a certain types of filter but would not be universally applicable to all ways of filtering.

The Tacima block I bought sounded like it sat on the sound and is now used for computer things. I decided to loose my fear/concern about of RFI (if there was any here).

Whatsnext, they write "commonly backfire", not "always backfire". I'm wary of statements that are too adamant.

I had the same perception with the Tacima.

Thanks Darren, that is interesting and, while nothing like the mechanism I supposed, could plausibly account for the issues I've heard, I'm sure.

If you take the approach John Westlake is with Detox you do the upmost to prevent RFI entering the case, he says once it's in there it's too late.

"Mains filters commonly 'backfire' by coupling noise into the equipment, which is exactly what they're supposed to deal with! This happens because the mains earth wire that the filter's 'earth' terminal has to be connected to doesn't look like an earth to the RF signals that the filter is trying to deal with. Instead, it can look more like an aerial! Also, when several items have filters, all the RF noise that's picked up in cable shields and by metal cases is summed together, but has no particular place to go. Meanwhile, each filtering capacitor inside contributes a current leakage (including noise) from the live side, through the mains earth wiring. <snip>"

I don't place audio gear on filters. But I do use filters to "quarantine" the few remaining other things (including my digital transport, connected via TOSLINK) on the same circuit.

Sorry but that doesnt make sense.

Firstly most kit is double insulated and the audio shields or equipment cases are not connected to earth.

Secondly, did you realise that earth is connected to neutral anyway, could be in your meter box, or at the local transformer. Why is it you dont you think L&N are already acting as aerials?

Thirdly, the filters also work across L & N not just to earth.

Sorry, the article is not quite accurate.

The performance of these items is tested to IEC standards and available in their datasheets, just look for them in RS. This is quite unlike esoteric mains cables. I would like to see you get a graph of RF attenuation out of those manufacturers. :)

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e23/0900766b80e2311d.pdf

Oh BTW they can be obtained without Y capacitors to earth where low leakage is required, so your concern is eliminated then anyway. :)

I don't understand why people get so uptight when it comes to cables.
They are easy to install, borrow some from your friendly dealer, if you don't like them, then take them back.
I've taken back a Nordost (I forget which one) mains lead, but currently use VertexAQ, sorted.
If you like the way they sound in your system, don't worry about how they measure.

I don't understand why people get so uptight when it comes to cables. They are easy to install, borrow some from your friendly dealer .... If you like the way they sound in your system, don't worry about how they measure.

Seconded.

But just wait a min, then BE or Purite will restate that they can't sound different because .... and another 60 pages later ...

I don't understand why people get so uptight when it comes to cables.
They are easy to install, borrow some from your friendly dealer, if you don't like them, then take them back.
I've taken back a Nordost (I forget which one) mains lead, but currently use VertexAQ, sorted.
If you like the way they sound in your system, don't worry about how they measure.

Onviously it is your money and you must spend it how you choose, but buying an expensive mains cable, or any cable for that matter will not improve sound quality.
And improving sound quality is the aim is it not?
Keith.

Have you tried any in a listening test? You 'might' find they affect the sound in ways that you 'might' not expect. But the only way to find out is to try them, surely?

No, as I have mentioned many times before, I am informed about the subject and have no wish to spend money on something I know wont help. Same reason I dont jump off tall buildings to find out what will happen. I am informed about gravity.

However as I have also mentioned before, I am happy to technically test and blind listen to any mains cable people want to send to me.

Onviously it is your money and you must spend it how you choose, but buying an expensive mains cable, or any cable for that matter will not improve sound quality.
Keith.

Any cable?! Does that include interconnect cables too?

Any cable?! Does that include interconnect cables too?

All you need is a cable that is fit for purpose, that has the correct ,topography, build and electrical characteristics for its intended purpose.
You can alter the electrical characteristics of a cable so that it will 'sound' different ,not better just different.
But why would a manufacturer do that do you suppose?
Keith.

All you need is a cable that is fit for purpose, that has the correct ,topography, build and electrical characteristics for its intended purpose.
You can alter the electrical characteristics of a cable so that it will 'sound' different ,not better just different.

I don't think you realise how incongruous your position is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35111707

'A social networking CEO is subjected to racist attacks on her own website. A cartoonist's life is trashed by trolls. Women get rape and death threats. There's a case to be made that online, 2015 was a year of increased hate.

Those of us who watch social media for a living - or who are long-time users of sites like Facebook and Twitter - realise that nastiness has always been a part of life online. But over the course of the past year or so, it seemed to some of us at BBC Trending that the steady background beat of online anger gradually turned into a pounding 24-7 drumbeat of angst, impossible to ignore.'

Keith.

How do you define an improvement.......one that sounds better or one that measures better?

Simon

I suspect you are correct, my aim is for listeners to enjoy better sound quality and not waste their money on components that will not and cannot improve their SQ.
Keith.
Keith, that's a very fine nuance. You agree that cables can change the sound of a system. If that system sounds better to the listener as a result of c cable change then I would say SQ has improved for the listener. In a system with bloated bass for example, my bass-light Nordost mains cable my be just the ticket.

My experience with mains filters has not been positive. I find they can sit on dynamics and the sense of scale and space. I'm not sure, but wonder if they adversely affect mains impedance, perhaps. They do seem to produce effects which I'd associate with limiting an amp's ability to follow fast transients, for example. Similarly, I think regenerators need to be vastly over-specced if they are not to have simlar effects. I may not have heard a decent one, of course. It is why I also wonder about the effectiveness of ferrite chokes on mains cables.

My experience too

Simon

Proposition 1: some cables are in fact offerings of rank snake oil, and it is hysterically pitiful that the purveyors find gullible-but-rich marks willing to fork over four-figure or higher prices for them.

Is there anyone willing to dispute the truth of proposition 1?

advertisement

Back