advertisement

who on the forum thinks all amps sound the same?

...and the same processor that is responsible for convincing you that differences exist when they don't.

So what we are saying is that the human brain is pretty smart but easily fooled!

I guess this just about sums up the whole of human folly.

I get it now. Because the brain is so easily fooled into hearing differences and because therefore all perceived differences are the result of delusion all amps sound the same unless Basil or Robert can create a graph of frequency response versus output to prove otherwise. This of course is the only acceptable criterion for determining objective differences in the Universe.

steven, how do think a capacitor maker makes a capacitor....how do they make sure it meets it's specifications?
or do you think it's magic?

Darryl,

Every now and then I take my amps to their manufacturer for either a minor modification or a service and/or to check to see if the valves have drifted out of spec. First the amps go on the test bench and are measured on the oscilliscope and the valves are each measured separately to test for their output.

There is also a final test for when any modifications have been effected.

Have a guess where that test takes place and how?

If a capacitor has been changed for one of a different value (measured of course) what would be the final test?

So if, when the amp man had done all his testing, adjusting and modifying, you didn't like the result, what would be the outcome?

I'd say I didn't like the outcome and it would go back on the bench. It has already happpened but fortunately the amp in question that I listened to in the same system and room wasn't mine but I was asked to offer my opinion based on what I could hear.

An 'upgrade' isn't necessarily a move to a more expensive component. Sometimes it is altering the level of feedback. The chosen level (by ear) to work with a particular pair of speakers isn't necessarily the one that measures better either.

People who go on the measurements alone without a subjective listening test are either sad (in that they neither care for nor believe in subjectively evaluated sound quality) or are very lucky.

Where is the switch? lol only kidding.

It's an internal automatic selection between 'analyse' and 'enjoy' followed by a simple binary question,

"Is it more or less enjoyable than before?"

You still seem to have trouble grasping the simple fact that you do not perform 'subjective listening test's and are not evaluating sound quality.

Why not just use your ears?

Paul

whereas you are totally deluding yourself which is why you love criticising stuff at any opportunity.
steven some people know what changing components or feedback does from a technical standpoint, you chat to designers but don't have a clue about what they are saying and thats why you come out with your silly explanations on things.

Paul I don't understand the above statement, extraneous apostrophe notwithstanding.

I'm guessing that you have your own very specific definition of a test or tests and also of sound quality.

Paul I don't understand the above statement, extraneous apostrophe notwithstanding.

I'm guessing that you have your own very specific definition of a test or tests and also of sound quality.
I don't understand it either. Perhaps Paul will make it clearer? When is a subjective test not a "subjective test"?

Darryl, the designer tells me he's altered the feedback. I don't really know what this means but I do know that

a) it did not involve swapping in an expensive component and

b) it may alter the sound in some way.

What else do I need to know?

What is your point?

How am I deluding myself?

it has to involve changing the electrical value of something, you obviously no zilch about the physics of electronics.

i understand pretty much what paul is saying if reading his previous posts correctly.

steven - you haven't yet answered my question to you regarding the point you were trying to make, maybe if you start there i maybe able to continue the exchange.

If you wish to be pedantic, I think Paul was actually quoting you and pluralising outside the quote.

I think Paul's point, though, is that "subjective test" is (in his opinion) essentially an oxymoron.

advertisement

Back