advertisement

who on the forum thinks all amps sound the same?

Peter Walker also said (in an interview published on the One Thing Audio site): "The peripheral effects are what get people into trouble. You can see why you find these differences in amplifiers. You can always find them. If people test two amplifiers and say, "These sound different," there's no magic in it. Spend two days, maybe a whole week in the lab, and you find out exactly why they're different and you can write the whole thing down in purely practical, physical terms."

Combining that comment with the outcome of those famous blind listening tests, the finger of suspicion points at the methodology of the tests.

I'm not an electronic engineer, so the lab is not an option... but being pretty far down the audiopile food chain I've found that the easiest way to assess kit is to put it in a couple of *much better* systems (Barry has been very helpful in this regard) - if it doesn't sound shabby by comparison, it's good enough for me.

thank you barry - i would have asked you over private message but don't use that on here anymore.
nice selection of gear there too.
best wishes and again thank you for participating in this discussion, it's been reasonably civil apart from some loonies....

regards
darryl.

Darryl
Sorry, I have only just seen this.
I live not far from GT Audio and Graham is a longstanding friend. I helped develop the plinths for Loricraft and Terry O'Sullivan and I go way back. In another life I used to know John Michell and Stewart Tyler who were both in Borehamwood which is just up the road. I also used to know Les W but that was many years ago.
My longstanding system is:
Sonus Faber Electa Amator mk1s
Audio Research SP10
Audio Research D125 (I used to have M100 monos but that is a long story)
Heavily modified Thorens TD125/Rega RB300/Shure V15 mk4/JICO SAS
Marantz CD80
Airport Express streaming from my Mac.
All solid silver cables/interconnects (made by me)
There is a plethora of other kit that gets swapped in and out, including Naim 32.5 and 135s and as I said, I am always evaluating something for people like GT (TRON) and other audiophile friends. My main interest these days is in turntables and vinyl replay in general. I modify vintage decks and build plinths and do setups for people. I am in Watford by the way and will probably have met you at some time because as you know, hifi is a very small world, especially in this country.

Nice system Barry! Its to bad (for me) I'm so far away. I bet it sounds great.

Your Pal from the slowly thawing Canadian foothills

Louballoo

advertisement

Back