advertisement

who on the forum thinks all amps sound the same?

please just pop your names down.

thank you.

p.s. i have the feeling that it will be a very very short list even though it seems to be a common accusation on here.

I do not think that all amps sound the same.
With some there is very marginal differences (using high efficiency speakers), even between amplifiers of the same make and model, even from the same build batch there are variances, even if they instrumentation on the bench testing come out the same.

What measured parameters do you think will guarantee identical sound quality?

YNWOAN

This is good question. My test would involve identifying two amps that clearly sound different and then first testing them for the obvious: power, distortion and bandwidth. There are no mysteries here.

What do you think?

Your Pal from the dark and frozen Prairie

Louballoo

i think a lot of amps that share similar topologies sound very similar when not pushed, but once pushed they all begin to sound different.

Louballoo, well I don't really know, hence the question. What I do know is that I have heard a lot of amps and a lot of them sounded quite different to each other. I also believe (am told) that its not hard to make an amplifier that measures well (at least, SS amps), so I guess a lot of those amps I heard also measured well.

I think that it is important for audiophiles to realize that this industry has an abysmal record of producing products in general that don't meet specs.

So if you hear differences between amps, and I am sure many of you do - so do I, then the amps involved will likely be malfunctioning or just not what was promised.

Yours Truly

Louballoo

I've yet to hear two amps sound similar except for two units wired through a comparative device or units of the same make and model. Perhaps I've been unlucky (or lucky depending upon your perspective?)

Louballoo, well I don't really know, hence the question. What I do know is that I have heard a lot of amps and a lot of them sounded quite different to each other. I also believe (am told) that its not hard to make an amplifier that measures well (at least, SS amps), so I guess a lot of those amps I heard also measured well.

It is probably far more difficult to build a good sounding turntable/arm/cartridge. The science involved here is truly staggering.

Louballoo

Just some more on the TT VS Amp science.....

If you assigned an engineer to build an amp prototype and sent him off, you might see him back in a week.

However, if you asked him to build a new TT/Cart/Tonearm, who knows when he'll be back.

Louballoo

advertisement

Back