advertisement

Which party will you vote for at the General Election? ( Anonymous).

How will you vote in the General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Labour

Votes: 93 38.8%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 23 9.6%
  • Green

Votes: 45 18.8%
  • Reform

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Scottish /Welsh National /Sinn Fein

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Will not be voting

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • Tactically

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters
10 votes for the English Nationalists. PFM is more diverse than it pretends to be.
I think it would be helpful if the ten people who are going to vote for Reform explain their reasoning, and then be banned.
Not just those 10…

I notice today the tory fascists have doubled from 2 for the last few days to 4.

There is also a bunch of other nationalists, not just the braindead English nationalists.

t3btLia.jpeg

No, I’m not voting Green because of the ridiculous taxes they are intending to impose on many of us by increasing NI by 6%
Wondered what is the meaning of "ridiculous" in this context? I would love to see a major party campaign on higher taxes in order to invest in public services and the common good.

Wondered what is the meaning of "ridiculous" in this context? I would love to see a major party campaign on higher taxes in order to invest in public services and the common good.
As I mentioned elsewhere, my issue is not with the increase per se, but the way they have implemented it.

The Green Party talk about wanting to make a financial assault on the "super wealthy" (which I don't disagree with). How they intend to achieve this is by levying a 2% tax on anyone with assets of over £10billion, but an increase in N.I. of 6% for everyone earning over £50k. I personally don't consider someone earning £51k to be "super wealthy".

As I mentioned elsewhere, my issue is not with the increase per se, but the way they have implemented it.

The Green Party talk about wanting to make a financial assault on the "super wealthy" (which I don't disagree with). How they intend to achieve this is by levying a 2% tax on anyone with assets of over £10billion, but an increase in N.I. of 6% for everyone earning over £50k. I personally don't consider someone earning £51k to be "super wealthy".

I don’t agree with that specific policy (at least the £50k level), but we stand a far better chance of having climate change discussed in parliament or getting the shit out of our rivers and coastlines if there are some Green voices in the house speaking truth to power. As such they are worth a vote. They will argue for democracy too.

Didn't we discuss this a few weeks ago Adam?

No £51k/year is not super wealthy. But it is well above UK average. I think you yourself agreed that it might be considered "comfortably well off". The phrase the Green Party use in their election pledge is "higher earners".

No one wants to pay more tax. But if we assume for a second that the government needs to raise more tax to improve schools, hospitals, etc then it seems fair that those with a greater ability to pay should shoulder a larger proportion of the cost than those on lower income.

Obviously everyone will have a different idea of where the threshold should be.

Won't that be offset by renationalising all our services, and as a result, help undo the cost of living crisis.

I also think legalising certain drugs, to then tax them is a good idea. I'd have thought it would raise quite a bit of cash, and save on police time/money.

It's true that £51k is not super wealthy. I think how to tax the super wealthy is an important thing we should be working on. It makes me feel ill when I see that execs constantly increase their salaries by way more than that of other workers with the justification that "it's the market rate" or some such. The end game of that is violent revolution. But as we know the rich and powerful are also super slippery. Oh no, I don't own this mansion that I live in, it's a company based in the Virgin Isles. A global problem and nobody seems inclined to solve it, perhaps because those best able to, are also beneficiaries.

The other point to make about the NI proposal is that framing it as a tax rise targeting higher earners is potentially a bit misleading.

People on lower incomes pay 8%. People on higher incomes pay only 2% on income above £51k.

So it's not increasing tax on higher earners so much as standardising the NI rate across all earnings.

Why should higher earners get what is effectively a tax break?

The other point to make about the NI proposal is that framing it as a tax rise targeting higher earners is potentially a bit misleading.

People on lower incomes pay 8%. People on higher incomes pay only 2% on income above £51k.

So it's not increasing tax on higher earners so much as standardising the NI rate across all earnings.

They shouldn’t.

Won't that be offset by renationalising all our services, and as a result, help undo the cost of living crisis.

I also think legalising certain drugs, to then tax them is a good idea. I'd have thought it would raise quite a bit of cash, and save on police time/money.

As with many Green policies, if you skip past the trite headlines and Robinson style "journalism", they are sensible, fair and worthy of proper discussion.

I can't bring myself to vote tactically because I believe you should vote for what you believe is the right group based on their manifesto, (plus of course my baked in prejudices!) The latter being hard to avoid.

I can't bring myself to vote tactically because I believe you should vote for what you believe is the right group based on their manifesto, (plus of course my baked in prejudices!) The latter being hard to avoid.
The simple equation for me would be,
1. My candidate is almost certainly not going to be elected
2. Voting for my candidate will most likely let the Tory or Reform in

I don’t normally put much on polls but I wouldn’t mind seeing how the polls are looking where I live I just haven’t been able to find much. It’s been tory here since the constituency was created in 1997 and with a big majority. The 2nd place flips between Labour and LibDem and since the last election there has been loads of new housing go up so potentially lots of new voters. Previous election results don’t help a great deal other than to make me believe it will be one of those seats that will make news if the tory loses. Fingers crossed on that one.

Nor do I, but I reckon if I earned £51k p/a I could probably live with paying an extra £60 in NI. Especially if it went to help fund important social or environmental causes I cared about.

advertisement

Back