advertisement

Which party will you vote for at the General Election? ( Anonymous).

How will you vote in the General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 98 38.9%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Green

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Reform

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Scottish /Welsh National /Sinn Fein

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Will not be voting

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Tactically

Votes: 22 8.7%

• Total voters
Funny that you mention him, he stood with a placard and actually got what he wanted. However it was up to some other hapless fools to implement it, now that they have failed he can sit back and claim that it was "badly implemented", again without having to actually deliver anything. Look at him now, his placard waving broke the mould in actually being successful, for him at least. Never elected, and an utter piece of shtt, but hugely powerful.

Still waiting for the media to call him out on his breaking point poster.

Just a trickle when the poll opened, a lull then a white baker’s dozen appeared. Maybe an influx from fruitier forums now defunct? I’d love to hear their rational for voting Reform, what getting their country back means in reality.

Don’t assume they are all real. A few will inevitably be trolls. A busy forum like this inevitably attracts some real dickheads at times. Certain people have been hoofed out multiple times over the years, some reappearances are well into double-figures. Some have more than one sock-puppet account simultaneously.

Still waiting for the media to call him out on his breaking point poster.
8 years on? Don't hold your breath. We all knew then that it was racist dogwhistle shtt, but we were good over and over again that racism wasn't a driver in the leave vote. No, of course not.

It won't be difficult, but my expectations are much higher than that.

This is a bit outdated, I think that he's U-turned on a few more...

All Keir Starmer’s Labour U-turns in one place​

POLITICO lists 27 (and counting) key walkbacks in Starmer’s spell as opposition leader.

And there will be more U-turns. Starmer is relatively new to politics (and is not a natural politician - a plus these days), so he is still finding his feet. I suspect it will take some time in power, and the security and confidence that imbues in leaders, for him to firm up (though he will not morph into the iconoclast that the comrades want). That said, he has transformed Labour from a shellshocked laughing stock into a party that looks like it will win the next GE. No mean feat. Whether he can build on those transformational skills to bring hope and change to the country remains to be seen.

And there will be more U-turns. Starmer is relatively new to politics (and is not a natural politician - a plus these days), so he is still finding his feet. I suspect it will take some time in power, and the security and confidence that imbues in leaders, for him to firm up (though he will not morph into the iconoclast that the comrades want). That said, he has transformed Labour from a shellshocked laughing stock into a party that looks like it will win the next GE. No mean feat. Whether he can build on those transformational skills to bring hope and change to the country remains to be seen.

He's feet have been seen moving towards the right...

I keep hearing the term 'protect our English culture' from the Reformers.... can someone tell me exactly what English culture is and why it's worth protecting? I am English (and often embarrassed to be so), but I'm not sure what culture it is I am supposed to be so afraid of losing or why it may be getting lost.
This is an important question. What are the values we aspire to? Fairness? Standing up for the underdog? Fish n Chips?

I believe fish and chips has its roots from Jewish immigrants escaping the Inquisition from Portugal. I suppose that’s marginally less suspect than chicken tikka masala to your average gammon.

This is an important question. What are the values we aspire to? Fairness? Standing up for the underdog? Fish n Chips?
The answer to that depends on when you stopped adding 'modern life' to the 'Whats English' list.
Reform presumably like to wipe at least 75 years of history away. Make it simple and say we were ok until after WW2 and cut the page just before the Windrush set sail.
That should do it.
You know, Churchill, Spitfires, Dog fighting, Village pubs, speaking the Queens English etc.

You forget that standing with a placard and shouting is great fun, you have the joy of knowing that you are right, and you will never have to actually deliver any of your claims.
When I think of people who prefer carping on the sidelines to making a difference I think of professional moderates like James O’Brien and Marina Hyde: they bitched about Corbyn, they bitched about the Tory government they helped install, and now they’re going to spend the next 5 years bitching about how “disappointing” Starmer’s Labour are. I’m sure that’s not you though.

When I think of people who prefer carping on the sidelines to making a difference I think of professional moderates like James O’Brien and Marina Hyde: they bitched about Corbyn, they bitched about the Tory government they helped install, and now they’re going to spend the next 5 years bitching about how “disappointing” Starmer’s Labour are. I’m sure that’s not you though.
Isn't bitching ineffectively about the lot that happens to disagree with you one of those universally shared characteristics?

It's absolutely not me. I'm a Labour voter, I was delighted to see Blair in 1997. Did his government get it all right? No, but it was better than what had gone before. You have to be in it to win it, we know what Blair did wrong but he and Brown got a lot of things right.

He's feet have been seen moving towards the right...

As I said, more U-turns to come - and we did 'left' in 2019. That said, there's also a big discounting operation going on re: whether Starmer will shift leftward should he get into No. 10. Time will tell of course but it won't matter to the Starmer trolls as they motivated by a deep and rigid sense of betrayal.

They are not alone.

As I said, more U-turns to come - and we did 'left' in 2019. That said, there's also a big discounting operation going on re: whether Starmer will shift leftward should he get into No. 10. Time will tell of course but it won't matter to the Starmer trolls as they motivated by a deep and rigid sense of betrayal.
No, not betrayal, just observation of empirical facts and casual analysis of their ideology

Corbyn’s policies were social democratic, not left. Which bit of social democracy do you loathe so much, the social, or the democratic?

19 people on this forum have indicated they're voting for Reform... wtaf????? Genuinely lost for words as if this place can harbour 19 votes for them given the politics here seem to be, on the whole, basically sound what's the rest of the country going to do?

19 people on this forum have indicated they're voting for Reform... wtaf????? Genuinely lost for words as if this place can harbour 19 votes for them given the politics here seem to be, on the whole, basically sound what's the rest of the country going to do?
It looks like it’s been a phone friend job.

The other point to make about the NI proposal is that framing it as a tax rise targeting higher earners is potentially a bit misleading.

People on lower incomes pay 8%. People on higher incomes pay only 2% on income above £51k.

So it's not increasing tax on higher earners so much as standardising the NI rate across all earnings.

Why should higher earners get what is effectively a tax break?
Depends on your definition of tax break.

Someone who earns £20k per year pays £594.40 in NI, someone who earns £60k pays £3,210.60 or 5.4x as much (for being on 3x the earnings). Given what NI funds where is the rationale that a person earning £60k makes 5.4x more use of the benefits it pays for:
Basic State Pension, Additional State Pension, New State Pension, New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance, Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, Maternity Allowance, Bereavement Support Payment and some that goes to fund the NHS.

Even with the "tax break" someone on £120k pays £ 4,410.60, which is 7.4x that of someone on £20k (despite being on 6x the earnings).

All of the above are fixed rate payments and how much you have earned or actually contributed in NI has no bearing on the return for a given individual. So exactly why should person A pay more NI than person B?

Unlike Income Tax, NI is effectively "ring fenced" as to what it pays for.

"NIC receipts are, unlike most taxes, paid into the National Insurance Fund and are notionally used to pay for the state pension and other contributory benefits, where an individual’s past payment record has some influence on the size of payments they receive. A small amount is notionally directed to the NHS, although this only makes up a small proportion of NHS funding. As such, in some presentations of receipts, NICs are counted as ‘social contributions’ rather than taxes."

Depends on your definition of tax break.

Someone who earns £20k per year pays £594.40 in NI, someone who earns £60k pays £3,210.60 or 5.4x as much (for being on 3x the earnings). Given what NI funds where is the rationale that a person earning £60k makes 5.4x more use of the benefits it pays for:
Basic State Pension, Additional State Pension, New State Pension, New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance, Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, Maternity Allowance, Bereavement Support Payment and some that goes to fund the NHS.

Even with the "tax break" someone on £120k pays £ 4,410.60, which is 7.4x that of someone on £20k (despite being on 6x the earnings).

All of the above are fixed rate payments and how much you have earned or actually contributed in NI has no bearing on the return for a given individual. So exactly why should person A pay more NI than person B?

Unlike Income Tax, NI is effectively "ring fenced" as to what it pays for.

"NIC receipts are, unlike most taxes, paid into the National Insurance Fund and are notionally used to pay for the state pension and other contributory benefits, where an individual’s past payment record has some influence on the size of payments they receive. A small amount is notionally directed to the NHS, although this only makes up a small proportion of NHS funding. As such, in some presentations of receipts, NICs are counted as ‘social contributions’ rather than taxes."
I think the point is one can afford more than the other. You can extrapolate this argument to any benefit or public service. Your position on whether those better off should or shouldn’t have to pay more is down to your own social conscience. I’m for a safety net.

That's the way that you change culture in a workplace. It's the first step. You have to start with authoritarian control and follow it with education. If you try it the other way the behaviour doesn't change, at least not for years, read decades.
The same was done for drink driving and now speeding in cars. Same modus operandi.
Past direct behaviours and/or statements of hate between individuals, politics has no place in the work place in my opinion. People go to work to earn a living, they're entitled to their opinions, as long as those opinions are not stated or acted upon in the work place to the detriment of other employees, what they believe is none of their employers business. I say this because I know there are employers that will reduce pay increases etc of individuals who are not actively engaged in the employers social change belief system. i.e. each "review" period the employee has to prove what they've done (completely outside their job description) to actively engage in diversity and inclusion behaviours. Employers obviously should have policies of inclusion etc, but they should be restricted to the employer/employee relationship. They can even go as far as to provide and support D&I employee support groups etc, but to mandate that all employees engage themselves in such otherwise they can say goodbye to a % of available salary increase etc is not acceptable.

advertisement

Back