advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

An unused 1m pair of Cardas Crosslink II RCA interconnects.

A birthday present for a friend with a system made up of mostly my cast offs.

Without being told she noticed the difference compared to the freebie grey interconnects they replaced.

New ear pads for

- both my noise-cancelling Plantronics Back Beat Pro
- and my Beyer DT990 Pro headphones

No claim for better sound but in both cases the headphones have returned to their initial level of head/ear comfort.

A Teac PD-H500C CD player, on eBay for €170, to match my A-H500i integrated, €200. I was sincerely stupefied at the quality of the pair. As of today, I would never ever go back to 4-figures audio. These vintage electronics (the amp is a full dual mono circuit with a large toroidal transformer in a mid-size case) drive my Klipsch Heresy IIIs wonderfully. HiFi from before Naim & Linn should be seriously reconsidered. My opinion only, but a 55 years experience from my first stereo gramophone.

IEMs - Moondrop Aria, because they have a single, pretty good 10mm dynamic driver without the usu. 'huge cluster of balanced armature drivers' per side... i.e. hopefully put the cost where it matters.

V early impressions - I am liking them quite a lot; lots of 'hear-through' goodness, very good control/detail in the bass for the price paid (and a welcome change: good extension with control, in preference to sheer wretched-excess in level which is so common). and no fatigue after several hours listening.

Also - they seem to do dynamics properly, a thing that BA-based IEMs I've heard like the ZS10Pros just utterly-fail-to (which is weird given the high sensitivity - once you hear how compressed/ constipated the ZS10pros are with good material ..well, I cannot un-hear it. and that was with a ludicrous, drive-anything headphone amp of my own devising, as well as a Mojo.)

My preference is always fullsize/over-ear cans, but going to give these Moondrop things a good listen for casual / on-the-go use.

After a month with a Rotel amp - which leaves me today - I have bought a Rega IO. Hoping that might arrive today as well. Looking forward to a simpler amplifier.

Picked up a few things over the last 6 months or so…
6 Isoacoustics Puck 76
Sony CDP 303ES
Sony 444ES Tuner
Ash Design Cosmic stand
Audio Note AN/E stands
Amplabs & JH 303 (which I unfortunately sold but managed prised back)

Show us an image or two Tomek!

Sl 151 mk2 is phantastic. I should try new 1200GR or 1200G ...

IMG-20220609-234745.jpg

IMG-20220609-234815.jpg

IMG-20220609-234911.jpg

IMG-20220609-234937.jpg

It is my second system. Technics, Heed Quasar, passive pre with 10k blue alps, 2x active JBL LSR 308. All ics with Mogami 2534, powered with diy hydra.
Very good sound.

:)

Lucked into two great deals recently.

A Rega P9 with the RB1000 arm--Killer table, still holds up. Far better than the P6 it replaced.

The Weiss DAC501. This will likely replace my NDX 2/XPS DR streaming set up. Still listening between the two streamers, but the Weiss is more open and detailed, more realistic without losing drive. And it's smaller than a HiCap. Also doing some listening with the NDX 2 as the streamer into the Weiss, but the Weiss on its own may have the edge over that set up as well. If I end up selling the Naim streamer and PS, I'll be a few grand ahead too...which is nice.

illuminater 4 speakers
Degritter RCM
Conrad Johnson ET6 Pre amp with the optional £2K phono stage installed

Looking to downsize one of my active systems and having been very impressed with the Exposure XM7 pre (for digital and headphone use) I have just picked up an Exposure 3510 integrated.

I last had an integrated amp in 1982-84 with an Arcam A&R A60 (wish I never sold it!) and have had Exposure pre power active set ups since then.

I will use my NAIM Ovator S600 passive for testing until I find my passive cross-overs for the IBL, SBL and NBL.
Tempted to try some Neat Xplorer 'spk.

The XM7 and 3510 have an AV directx1 input which bypass the volume circuit which is great for the testing set up below.

The XIV pre will feed the XM7 AV input and the XM7 will feed the 3510 AV input. 3510 to 'spks.
The XIV pre tape 1 output feeds the XM7 standard input and tape 2 the 3510 standard input this allows the MM and MC of the XIV pre to be switched to the XM7 or 3510.
Any conflicts can be easily sorted.

Probably take a week to get a good feel of the 3510 but the look of quality in the flesh is so much better than in any photos I had seen beforehand.

Just ordered some Chord Signature TA (tonearm cable and 1m XLR pair) for the vinyl side of the set up.

After comparing at home, I found this was much more to my liking (and a little cheaper) than Nordost Frey 2 and nearly as good as the Tyr 2 (I already have) while costing a lot less.
No regrets about the Tyr 2 I have given the fantastic deal I got at the time, but if I had to start over at list price....

Hi, Just bought my last piece of HiFi, my girlfriend bets otherwise, Linn Majik 6100 and Kaber aktiv cards. Oh forgot Just bought Linn black interconnect. This is definitely my last piece.
I'm happy.

Last edited:
ATC SCM100ASL in piano black(2016, Recapped/serviced mk1 amp packs, Bass and Mid drivers upgraded/replaced to SL spec, Vifa HF replaced with Seas units), taken a while to dial them into my listening room(Tannoys are so much easier to position ....)
Enjoying them immensely. Ended up driving them via a Benchmark DAC2 in dac mode into a Mark Levinson 380S pre amp. The simpler and theoretically purer route via the BM as pre/dac was just a shade too clinical/sharp edged, the ML380S is just too good to part with, adding a smoother sweeter analogue sound and rounding things off nicely within the soundstage/mix.

advertisement

Back