advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs. Quite exceptional- even these knackered old ears are hearing recording detail for the first time.
Love me some Logans. Unique things. Hope you enjoy for a long time. Are they new? or used?

Love me some Logans. Unique things. Hope you enjoy for a long time. Are they new? or used?
They’re new Darren. Bought them as a ‘proof of concept’ with a view to going up the range later if they solved my hearing problems. It was going to be Tannoys or these as I’d heard big Tannoys at another fishie’s place and they provided the direct wall of sound I need, without the room reflections.

They’re new Darren. Bought them as a ‘proof of concept’ with a view to going up the range later if they solved my hearing problems. It was going to be Tannoys or these as I’d heard big Tannoys at another fishie’s place and they provided the direct wall of sound I need, without the room reflections.
Colour me jealous.

Eight quid for a bag of nylon cartridge nut/bolts/washers. They have a stretchiness that allows you to move the cartridge easily but just nip them down and it’s not going to move. The cart is an AT ART9. It has a tiny footprint that contacts the arm so you have to wonder whether the screw it tight/ max contact idea is still relevant?
Anyways, peanuts for a bit of kit that engaged me for most of the afternoon and the cart that has some charm I have to say.

A pretty core change: an EWA M-50 power amp and a RME ADI-2 DAC to use as a digital pre pushed out a Naim NAP 150 + NAC 122X + TeddyCap and a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100.

Now my rack is as clean and tidy as the sound is.

Also, I can no longer claim to still be on my first hi-fi system, I think.

I forgot! A near mint Quad 606 Mk II off t'bay and an AVI NuNeutron and MJ Pro 50 2.1 speaker system I paid the grand total of £160 from Facebook Marketplace.

Pending an Amplabs service of the 606/34, I'm done for a while.

Well done that man.:)

These do look very interesting. Excuse my ignorance but where in the range do these sit? Are they the entry model?

This is on my hitlist Kevd. Can I please ask you what makes it amazing? and also, what you used before?
Thanks !!
I've been a subscriber to Tidal hifi plus for a good while and the Audiolab sounds better when compared track to track (I'm not sure if the CD player should or shouldn't sound better, I'm no expert here!). That in itself makes the player amazing, because Tidal does sound great. I hadn't used a CD player for quite a few years, I just decided to dig out my old collection and get them going again. I use a Naim DacV1/Nap100 combo, so the choice of player that I bought was very limited (digital inputs only on the DacV1). The player that I used to own was a Naim CD3.5, modified by Chevin audio. Although good, the Audiolab is a big improvement on the Naim - my view only (and I'm sticking to it!). What's it like to listen to? Spot on really, not clinical or too warm, but very detailed. I would say go and have a listen to one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Cheers!

I've been a subscriber to Tidal hifi plus for a good while and the Audiolab sounds better when compared track to track (I'm not sure if the CD player should or shouldn't sound better, I'm no expert here!). That in itself makes the player amazing, because Tidal does sound great. I hadn't used a CD player for quite a few years, I just decided to dig out my old collection and get them going again. I use a Naim DacV1/Nap100 combo, so the choice of player that I bought was very limited (digital inputs only on the DacV1). The player that I used to own was a Naim CD3.5, modified by Chevin audio. Although good, the Audiolab is a big improvement on the Naim - my view only (and I'm sticking to it!). What's it like to listen to? Spot on really, not clinical or too warm, but very detailed. I would say go and have a listen to one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Cheers!
Thats been my own experience with cd vs tidal. Tidal sounds great..... Cd through the same dac sounds a but better still. Thanks for taking the time, I'm looking forwards to getting one of these transports.

Audiolab 6000 CDT. Rather amazing.
I got one too - I'm amazed at the difference.

I also as I said upthread got a Dspeaker anti-mode 2.
So I'm using the Audiolab into the Dspeaker (optical connection), to a Wyred4Sound Remedy re-clocker 96k upsampler (rca connection) to a Young Dac.
Rest of the system is a silver traffo pre, bi amped biwired with a Harmon Kardon PA 2400 on bass and a Luxkit on hf into homebuilt JBL 4430 clones, with rather better components in the crossover than JBL ever managed.

It was a very listenable system before, but I'd say between the Audiolab and the Dspeaker each brought a large noticeable and positive difference.

advertisement

Back