advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Richard Hawley last night at Albert Hall in Manchester , fantastic , front row with my daughter lovely and its as though that place was built for him

Creep Show at The Old Market in Brighton (well, Hove actually) last night, supported by Kincaid featuring Blancmange.
Both excellent; with the evening ending on a cracking rework of The Cabs Sensoria

Kamasi Washington in Auckland, last Thursday. A two-hour flight to get there, so very much a treat, but well worth it What a terrific band, just wonderful. Do see them if you get a chance.

Venue wasn't massive (The Powerstation), so had a relatively intimate feel, able to get right up the front without having to barge in and spill others' drinks, etc. Was also nice not having to wear earplugs.Tempted to go back up to see the DIgable Planets in December.

Ibibio Sound Machine last night in Aldershot (yes, Aldershot).
You would have to be a serious curmudgeon not to have enjoyed that - insanely tight, funky band, with a brilliant frontwoman.

Snapped Ankles last night at The Boileroom in Guildford, who were great fun.
I'm surprised not to have seen any love for them around these parts, considering their post punk influences (Devo, The Fall), and the fact that they're produced by one of The Comet Is Coming.

We missed/avoided the first support band; but the second, Lunch Money Life, were excellent - kinda dubby post punk post rock jazz (and also produced by Danalogue of The Comet Is Coming).

Blimey, two ace gigs locally in two nights - we're being spoiled for a change.

I went to see The Cult at the O2 Academy in Glasgow earlier in the week, for their A Sonic Temple tour and they were excellent. Next two are in December and are both also bands I started listening to in the 80's - The Silencers and Goodby Mr Mackenzie.

China Crisis, at Ravenshead Village Hall.

175 capacity, very intimate, and laughed loads as Gary cracked gag after gag. Some very good song choices for me, several covered from Difficult Shapes...

OMD, at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall.

Fun night as always. Took my wife, who isn’t a fan, and she loved it.

Ps the PA sound was excellent. Nice to hear live keys and programming sound done well.

Sunn O))) on Friday night at the QMU in Glasgow. As you would expect it was ridiculously loud, but not as loud as when I last saw them at SWG3 - I didn't see anyone falling over from the sound this time...
My new Earpeace ear plugs (as recommended by Tony L) proved up to the task (with the black 26dB filters installed).

advertisement

Back