advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

I was at Dylan and Neil Young on Friday. Dylan was in good voice for him, but the rearrangements of old stuff were so different as to be almost unrecognisable. He also spent most of the time hidden behind his piano.

Stereolab at the Albert Hall last night,could not go when they were supposed to play so lucky to get ticket for rescheduled show. Amazing. One of the reasons I wanted to see them is that playing greenman and thought bound to clash with someone else I want to see and also wanted to see full set. They were so good bit of a dilemma now as think they will clash with Richard Thompson .

This weekend just gone I was at Awamu's Together festival, which was, as ever, splendid fun.
Music ranging from the wonderful kora player Jali Fily Cissokho to Penge punk band Scrotum Clamp, via some excellent electronica from Digitonal, Echaskech, and Dialog. Some superb DJ sets from Dannny Psychemagik, Biggabush, Wrongtom, and Bobby Friction kept me dancing until my knackered knees gave way.

Lucinda Williams at Birmingham Town Hall last Friday. The Car Wheels on A Gravel Road Album was played in full as it's the 20th Anniversary of its release. The recorded version of this album is mainly laid back country with LWs vocals to the fore and a backing band just doing enough to maintain the feel. A great album and one of my favourites.
Unfortunately the concert was spoilt by a new backing band (Buick 6) who fancied themselves as a Rock Band complete with show off guitar solos with the amp turned up to max and unnecessary drum fills. At one stage LW disappeared and left the band to rock out. What was she thinking bringing this set of chancers with her? The recorded album was totally transformed for the worse. Pity because LW was in good voice on the night.
The fact that the lead guitarist wore a beanie hat and the drummer a cowboy hat all night was illustrative of the pretension.

I saw Russian Circles at The Garage, Glasgow last night, loud, sweaty and packed - a proper gig!
The support was A. A. Williams, who reminded me of Chelsea Wolfe, with a bit of shoegaze thrown in the mix, so I'll need to check out more of her material.

Michael Franti and Spearhead - Jazz Cafe Camden last night. The place was jumping! Third time we've seen him and this was the best. Great meal upstairs. Memorable night (birthday treat from the wife)

The South (as in The Beautiful South but without the original singer), free gratis in local woodland park courtesy of local council. They were good and replacement male singer (who was original sax player) sounded like Heaton anyway.. Female singer is Allison Wheeler who was IIRC the last one in the "real" version..

A few months ago: Schubert - Trout Piano Quintet/Chopin - Ballade No.1, at the Holywell Music Room, Oxford. Great chamber music venue, purpose-built in the 18th century, when Haydn performed there.

Vivaldi, Albinoni, Bortolazzi and Beethoven in a village church in north Italy. Lead mandolin, guitar, two violins and a, distractingly attractive, cellist. Marvellous and free.

I was at the Torre del Largo Puccini opera festival in Italy this weekend for La Boheme and Madame Butterfly in the open arena. Temperature was high twenties, Sky was crystal clear, music was sublime.

The Cure/Mogwai/The Twighlight Sad/The Joy Formidable at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow.

The Cure played pretty much the same set as Glasto, too much of their "pop" stuff, but still an amazing show! It was 27 years since their last show in Glasgow (and 30 years since I last saw them in Glasgow), hopefully they won't wait so long for another visit...

That was the first time I've seen Mogwai live and I was impressed - as with most good bands, they brought something to the live performance that I hadn't felt on their recorded output.

The Twilight Sad are a band I just don't get, there just seems to be something missing from their music, I listened to them play for a while but lost interest quickly. However - there were plenty of people there who were raving about their performance, so maybe it's me that is missing something.

The Joy Formidable put on a good show with plenty of energy.

The weather forecast for the day looked appalling - heavy rain up to 8pm with thunderstorms from then until 11pm. I'm happy to report that it stayed dry apart from 10 minutes of torrential ran during Mogwai's set. That was still enough to turn parts of the park into a quagmire when we were leaving, though - so I'm glad we wore our hiking boots...

I saw Still Marillion at a local venue a few weeks ago.. Brilliant cover band. I thought Fish was doing the vocals they were that good!
Ray

Was at greenman last week, fantastic , everyone I saw spot on, highlights Richard Thompson, pigs x7,hen ogled, father John misty, Sharron van eten,snapped ankles, looking forward to next year already.

advertisement

Back