advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Cate le Bon at Gorilla in manchester on Tuesday, nightmare journey and didn't get off m6 till 8:50 after taking three hours to get from Stoke , was meeting my daughter who had come from Leeds but her phone was very intermittent, big thanks to Gorilla for being so understanding and letting her in on my name, got there at 9:15 and very relieved as not on till 9:30. Daughter at front and managed to get straight there even though sold out. Cate and the band sublime. After the panic turned into fantastic night topped by awkwardly after seeing my daughter off on the late train on the walk back to the car bumping into the band ,they were fantastic and got my record signed for my daughter.

Blam Blam Blam in Wellington on Sunday night. Reunion tour following them disbanding in 1982 when their van crashed. Yeah, they are 50 somethings playing dad punk, but they were brilliant.

Should have been going to the late prom this evening to see Jonny Greenwood. The friend I was due to go with has been taken unwell (a recurring condition that he’ll bounce back from) so I called the RAH to return the tickets, though not expecting a refund as the concert is not sold out.

However, they kindly refunded “under the circumstances” which I felt was very kind. Just thought I’d give them a positive mention here.

A mate had a couple of spare tickets to see The Lonesome String Band in Abergavenny last night. They're a 3 piece bluegrass band from Canada - not my usual genre but, by the end , I wanted to buy myself a banjo. Touring around the UK for a couple of weeks if anyone is interested,

https://www.lonesomeace.com/shows

Cheers

Tony

Jah Wobble in the Grand Social in Dublin. Such an enjoyable gig on so many levels. Jah could obviously have been a comedian if he had not gone down the music road. So self deprecating and honest. A such a tight band. The 15 minute(?) instrumental version of Poptones was a sound to behold.

He’s in Belfast tonight, Saturday , well worth checking out.

.sjb

Last edited:
I saw The Pixies last night in Glasgow (O2 Academy), they were great (as usual), played for 2 hours with no breaks. The highlight for me was a fantastic version of Gouge Away.
The support band were The Big Moon, who were pretty decent, too.

Jane Weaver supporting Múm in Bethesda last Friday, and we ended up chatting with Jane and keyboard player by their cab at the local rugby club. Excellent performances all round.

Made all the better by cycling up and down the Menai Straits the following day in glorious sunshine with my friend from school who I hadn’t ridden with since 1980!!

Nadia Reid at St Nicholas' Church, Kenilworth last Thursday. Without her band. Someone who's been on my radar for a few years now, but have really got to know her music this year.
Her two albums have a slightly different feel to each other, but are both brilliant. Met her briefly after the show as well, what a nice person!

My brother bought me and him tickets to The Empire Strikes Back with a live orchestra playing the soundtrack, at the MEN Arena on Friday. We did the Star Wars one last year.

Great fun! Lots of people in stormtrooper costumes, and R2D2s at every turn...

The music was brilliant, and I was blown away by how a live orchestra was able to synch with the film and hit their cues apparently flawlessly. No idea how the conductor did it - as far as I could tell, all he had was a score. No obvious timing marks or anything. Remarkable how much the music adds to the experience of the movie in these events.

Only disappointment was that the actual film sound and dialogue was nowhere near as clear as the music.

The Psychedelic Furs last Friday in Brighton, who were on good form, despite some apparent monitoring issues. No High Wire Days though, which was disappointing. I'll be polite and not mention the support.
Then on Saturday we went to the Henley Literary Festival to see Dave Ball (of Soft Cell and The Grid) in conversation to promote his forthcoming autobiography. Bizarrely we saw Anna Soubry in the bar beforehand (but not at the talk).

John Grant and Creep Show at the Arts Club in Liverpool last night. Really good.

We're off to see them in Brighton on Thursday - really looking forward to it.
It's going to be a bit of a rush to get down in time for the support (Kincaid featuring Blancmange), but hopefully we'll make it.

advertisement

Back