advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

SUNN O))) At the Roundhouse in Monday...4th time I’ve seen them but bugger me they were loud this time...I say see them but there was so much dry ice smoke so I’m only guessing it was them.

Great experience

Just been to see the Philip Glass Ensemble, without Philip Glass, playing Music With Changing Parts. One of PG's more nightmarish works.

Got to see David Byrne in the Hudson Theatre in New York. Fantastic version of the American Utopia show. Sound was incredible in a lovely theatre.
He is getting on but the energy levels were huge as per normal for David. Band are completely untethered and choreography really well done.
Live CD just out which is really good. All it is missing is the various stories told by David in between a lot of the tracks. I could see it getting a short run in the UK possibly.

Got to see David Byrne in the Hudson Theatre in New York. Fantastic version of the American Utopia show. Sound was incredible in a lovely theatre.
He is getting on but the energy levels were huge as per normal for David. Band are completely untethered and choreography really well done.
Live CD just out which is really good. All it is missing is the various stories told by David in between a lot of the tracks. I could see it getting a short run in the UK possibly.

I am quite astonishing jealous.
I saw the show twice over here; and would happily watch it over and over.

I am quite astonishing jealous.
I saw the show twice over here; and would happily watch it over and over.
Just struck lucky. My wife has always wanted to go to NYC. I connected the DB gig to a trip and it got over the line easily :)
In a small theatre it really worked well. Sound was like a good hifi system you could hear every instrument clearly.
Don't fret you will surely get a chance in a Theatre near you in the new year. DB is building up his retirement fund and seems to be on a bit of a roll fanbase wise.

Just to whet your appetite!

Last edited:
Lulu on Fire, happy birthday Lulu! Such a great performance in a small venue, carefully selected set covering the various stages of her career, songs that have stood the test of time, honest and touching recollections. The band were great too, tight as, thoroughly entertaining.

Last edited:
Last night; a benefit concert for the National Jazz Archive that is based in Loughton Library,Essex:
https://www.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk/
The concert was by the John Ongom Big Band featuring Catherine Lima on vocals in Loughton Methodist Church. It's an 18 musician band of professional and amateur musicians formed by John Ongom who died last year and its musical director is Angus Moncrieff who is a fine trumpet player and composer in his own right. Some great numbers in particular two long instrumentals featuring many solos, an Oliver Nelson tune and Wayne Shorters 'Speak no Evil'.

The concert also made it VERY apparent how inadequate even the best HiFi is. The church holds about 200 people (it was a sell out) an we were about 6 rows from the front. The Big Band was pretty much unamplified apart from a mike on the vocalist, bass and a bit on the piano. The power and dynamics of a band this size in a such small venue was amazing. I wish I had taken a sound level metre to check, but I think they were easily peaking well over 120db where I was sitting. You almost felt pinned to your seat when the whole Ensemble let loose, yet each instrumental part was easily defined. A great evening.

Camille O’Sullivan last night at Home in Manchester.
She showcased her new album of Nick Cave covers.
Loved every minute of it.

I went to a basement of a record shop in New Cross (Sister Midnight) last night to see three unknown bands I never heard of before, a Girl/Girl Drummer/Guitar band MOTHERCANYOUHEARME, a mod-inspired band called The Solidarity (with a very Psychedelic Mod-infused Dr Feelgood vibe), TS idiot, a queer punk poet with very poetry-slam-meets John Cooper Clarke vibe and then him with a band called the Hideous Trend with songs about chocolate Freddos costing 45p, depravity and more depravity. At one point the guitar had two daddies, one playing it with a Microphone and the other snorting the strings. Music is in great hands.

A night of sweat, beer, runny mascara, smeared lipstick and punk-trumpet with literally holy grail original punk 7” records for sale looking down at you from the walls. Plus the pink telecaster had two daddies, one was snorting the strings... you don’t see that too often...

EIe6138WsAAueny

EIiSnLPWwAE9D6h

We got chatting, TS Idiot had already bought my EP and is playing OMGTCAAIA on a brizzle radio station. I'm hoping to support these loons later on.

A question guys.

I saw Dire Straits long ago - 1984 I think it was. A great concert. I even remember the CD advertising posters!

Near me there will be a gig by a band called The Dire Straits Experience.

I wanted to take my daughter (24) but are they any good without MK?

Thanks.

Elektrik Market and Simon Phillips' Protocol at Ronnie Scott's last night and off to see Steve Hackett at Sheffield City Hall tonight. Elektrik Market were good with an exceptional drummer. Protocol were excellent.

A mad month of gigs...

Saw Nichola Benedetti & Orchestra on Friday in Grantham, Snarky Puppy in Oxford on Saturday, and Marillion in Oxford on Sunday.

Going to see Jan Garbarek in Saffron Walden (as part of Cambridge Jazz Week) next Saturday, and Natalie Williams at Ronnie Scott's on Sunday.

Yazz Ahmed in Cambridge on the 19th, and Zervas & Pepper at the Bedford in London on the 21st.

A couple more lined up too (when I scrape together enough dosh for the tickets).

Last edited:
A mad month of gigs...

Saw [...] Snarky Puppy in Oxford on Saturday.

I wish I'd gone to that but I already had tickets for The Delines in Oxford on the same night. I love their records but was rather disappointed with the show. It was partly the atmosphere. It was in a church where they kept most of the very bright lights on right through the show. It was also weird being in an audience where I was probably in the youngest 25% - and I'm on the cusp of 60. I'd only experienced that in classical concerts before hand. I'm really not sure anyone in the room was under 45.

In terms of the show, the songs were great and Amy Boone is an amazing singer but it all felt rather flat in terms of performance.

In part I was put in a grumpy mood by the support act, Those Pretty Wrongs, two singers perched on two stools, one with a 12 string, who care across as part Mamas and Poppas and part Simon and Garfunkel. Every song started with a little guitar arpeggio that sounded like they were going to play Here Comes the Sun. After telling a long story about writing a song in a park, the song started "I was sitting in a park". It was was all like a bad 1971 throwback and went on for bloody ages. Being a church you couldn't go and stand in the bar until it was over..... My wife said they reminded her of the Trev and Simon's swing your pants duo

Bizarrely, a couple of days after watching them I found out that one of them was Jody Stephens from Big Star, one of my favourite bands ever, and found this clip of them playing with a full band set up which is rather lovely :

May be it was just me or something to do with the overall vibe of the evening ....

Honestly, these sorts of gigs are the ones I like best of all. A fiver plus beer, in bottles.

If you fancy a gig for a fiver, live in London and can get to Islington by 12 o'clock on a Saturday try Daylight Music at the Union Chapel.

Generally 3 bands with an electic mix from folk to jazz and all points inbetween.

No beer but a great cafe doing tea , coffee, quiche and cake.

https://www.facebook.com/daylightmusiclondon/

advertisement

Back