advertisement

What Brexit tells us

I do remember Ed's spend spend spend right up to the end.

The irony being that once it became blindingly obvious to all that Osborne's ideological "austerity" was utter bollocks and driving a double-dip recession he quietly adopted Balls' spending plans! Had he done so from the start much of the Tory recession could likely have been avoided.

I do remember Ed's spend spend spend right up to the end.

I remember him committing to a budget surplus, and to the cuts necessary to achieve it. He began by criticising Tory/Lib Dem austerity measures and then bottled it about half-way through the term.

Ah, selective memory again Colin?

Philip Hammond has admitted that the Brexit vote’s blow to the economy would force the government to borrow £122bn more than hoped as he pushed back government plans to balance the books in his autumn statement.
Guardian, 23/11/16

And just wait till they fully staff the new Ministerium of Brexit. I suppose you could blame the last government....

And just wait till they fully staff the new Ministerium of Brexit. I suppose you could blame the last government....

I suspect there are two problems with that. Firstly, the smart civil servants tend to be mostly Remainers who want nothing to do with it, so the talent pool available to the Ministerium is pretty shallow. Secondly, those who have moved, mostly junior staff who have little say, have depleted the resources of departments who still have work to do. Which isn't getting done.

I suspect there are two problems with that. Firstly, the smart civil servants tend to be mostly Remainers who want nothing to do with it, so the talent pool available to the Ministerium is pretty shallow. Secondly, those who have moved, mostly junior staff who have little say, have depleted the resources of departments who still have work to do. Which isn't getting done.

Is this fact? Why would they be mostly remainers, i cannot believe that, surely they would all be remainers?

Even though upto 50% of them will go to (a so called) university, Brexit tells us that the youth of today are too INSERT ADJECTIVE OF CHOICE to care about their futures.

Even though upto 50% of them will go to (a so called) university, Brexit tells us that the youth of today are too INSERT ADJECTIVE OF CHOICE to care about their futures.

Nearly three quarters (73%) of 18 to 24 year-olds voted to remain. For the ones at Uni the figures will be even higher.

Nearly three quarters (73%) of 18 to 24 year-olds voted to remain. For the ones at Uni the figures will be even higher.
The problem being, not many turned out to vote, when interviewed on the streets, many intelligent, non intelligent youths fellt their vote was worth very little, the "couldn't give a f^ck" attitude was rife among the voting youth.
Now they sit & moan about it & blame the old buggers for destroying their futures, all I can say is, maybe lift your heads from twitter once in a while & live in the f^cking real world.

Vote Leave director Dominic Cummings admits lying to the public was a campaign strategy (London Economic).

"Pundits and MPs kept saying ‘why isn’t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards’. They did not realise that for millions of people, £350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards – that’s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic. Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration. Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No. Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the Single Market? No way."

Wasn't about lies or immigration was it? He might have headed Leave but what does he know? ;)

Did mummy and daddy tell them to vote this way.

Bloss

I've just finished asking them, they all laughed and said they haven't listened to their parents since they were 10 as mum and dad were complete idiots (or worse).

"Pundits and MPs kept saying ‘why isn’t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards’. They did not realise that for millions of people, £350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards – that’s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic. Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration. Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No. Would we have won by spending our time talking about trade and the Single Market? No way."

Wasn't about lies or immigration was it? He might have headed Leave but what does he know? ;)
If remain had concentrated more on positives, rather than very strong negatives, Brexit would never have happened IMO.
They cocked it up big time, it's pretty much what you read on any Brexit thread since, the same doom laden stuff, rather than anything positive about remaining, negativity still rules the day.

Clinton followed suit in the US, some will just never learn, if your reaching the average guy on the street, negativity is what rules their world, they want to hear positives, not threats of more austerity & cuts.

If leave had concentrated more on positives, rather than very strong negatives, Brexit would never have happened IMO.
They cocked it up big time, it's pretty much what you read on any Brexit thread since, the same doom laden stuff rather anything positive about remaining, negativity still rules the day.

Clinton followed suit in the US, some will just never learn, if your reaching the average guy on the street, negativity is what rules their world, they want to hear positives.

Negative campaigning - by Remain, Leave, Trump and Clinton - sort of suggests they all think it works. Maybe the problem is ours?

advertisement

Back