advertisement

What Brexit tells us

Tony, The SNP has wanted Scottish independence since well before brexit, well before Labour got into the mess it's in now.

Agreed, though we live in a ever-changing political landscape and to my eyes their call for independence looks far more vaid now.

PS Just for clarity I really don't want to see the UK break up, I just feel anyone sensible would want to jump off the sinking hard-Tory Brexit ship if at all possible.

Tony, The SNP has wanted Scottish independence since well before brexit, well before Labour got into the mess it's in now.
The SNP formed in 1934. Continuous representation in Westminster since 1969. They've swung left and right to maximise their appeal about their core nationalism.

Paul

This week the Brexit debate tells us that:

Nigel Farage likens himself to an extremist preacher when appearing on loose women.

Jeremy Corbyn in an email to party members states that he will commit the Labour Party to voting in favour of "the will of the people". Taken at face value that statement seems to imply voting in favour of all Conservative manifesto pledges (as these could be construed to be the will of the people) and only tabling amendments a means of political opposition, unless of course he is a man of double standards?

The SNP formed in 1934. Continuous representation in Westminster since 1969. They've swung left and right to maximise their appeal about their core nationalism.

Paul

I remember when they were known as the Tartan Tories.

Paul

All political parties swing left to right depending on the national mood and their view on how it will improve electability.

Jeremy Corbyn in an email to party members states that he will commit the Labour Party to voting in favour of "the will of the people". Taken at face value that statement seems to imply voting in favour of all Conservative manifesto pledges (as these could be construed to be the will of the people) and only tabling amendments a means of political opposition

Has he perhaps misunderstood the job description of leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition? Even if he agrees with a policy, it is his responsibility to play devil's advocate to the best of his ability.

Am I unique in voting for what I think will turn out for the best, rather than what will benefit me the most? Somehow I doubt it.

Am I unique in voting for what I think will turn out for the best, rather than what will benefit me the most? Somehow I doubt it.
Your in a minority i'm afraid.
If everyone voted for the better good of the country, the parties wouldn't have a clue how to campaign, they campaign based on current affairs, current thinking, latch onto the feel of the people, then of course, once elected, turn their backs on the lot & do as they see fit, anyone who follows politics, even on a very basic level knows this,
All the voter can hope for is a candidate who is honest & true to their word, anyone know of such a rare entity.
I had hopes for Clegg, we all know how this turned out, grab it while we can attitude, rather than play it with intelligence & wait your time.
I know of no current politician, who has any chance of leading the country over the next 20 years, who the public can rely on to be honest & true, it's a very sad state of affairs for the future voter.
I see future voting going more along the lines of tactical voting, rather than voting for someone you actually have faith in.
The last election was my first time voting this way, the option I went for was better than what we currently had, I felt, I had little faith in Labour but feared for this country under Tory rule, it was heading in a scary direction for certain communities in this country, hence the backlash, Osborne has a lot to answer for, regarding what is currently happening in the UK, his latest invention is about to kick in, taking £30 a week from disabled folk, what a lovely man he "was".

Are the voters in Europe and the US shifting to the right because wages and prospects have stagnated?

I imagine the elections affecting Europe over the next couple of years will confirm if there is a shift to the right, I have a feeling, Trumps wake up call to all those who voted for this nutter, could help the opposite to happen.

most good people hate discrimination of any kind, there will always be those who don't give a toss, but I have a unfailing belief in human nature.

I imagine the elections affecting Europe over the next couple of years will confirm if there is a shift to the right, I have a feeling, Trumps wake up call to all those who voted for this nutter, could help the opposite to happen.

most good people hate discrimination of any kind, there will always be those who don't give a toss, but I have a unfailing belief in human nature.
Respect for that raga. I'm generally a very optimistic person but last year put the wind up me. I hope you're right about the prospects for a return to basic decency and tolerance.

I think most 'Leave' voters took that view. The Remain campaign, and the continuing argument, is very much about individual benefits from the status quo, and even the benefit to UK citizens regardless of the cost to other Europeans. Which makes you rather unusual, a true believer in the EU project.

Kudos etc.

Paul

advertisement

Back