advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite liked this piano trio so I took a punt on the vinyl that is supposed to a very good mastering. Arriving tomorrow.

I'm going to give it a second listen as piano trios one of my are my favourite types of jazz.

Its interesting listening to a lot of different new music on a day - you wonder how critics who get a pile of 20 or so each week manage to make a judgement about them. I've often find first impressions with music almost entirely untrustworthy and have tried to work a "stream 5 times before buying" rule to avoid too many poor purchases.

I've realised over the year that I'm drawn to more discordant recordings on first listen but then end up listening to the more melodic records more regularly even if made less of an impression for the first few plays. For example I tend to play Fred Hirsch more than Cecil Taylor although I admire the latter far more.

I'd love to hear what you think of the Charlap when it arrives.

I'm going to give it a second listen as piano trios one of my are my favourite types of jazz.

Its interesting listening to a lot of different new music on a day - you wonder how critics who get a pile of 20 or so each week manage to make a judgement about them. I've often find first impressions with music almost entirely untrustworthy and have tried to work a "stream 5 times before buying" rule to avoid too many poor purchases.

I've realised over the year that I'm drawn to more discordant recordings on first listen but then end up listening to the more melodic records more regularly even if made less of an impression for the first few plays. For example I tend to play Fred Hirsch more than Cecil Taylor although I admire the latter far more.

I'd love to hear what you think of the Charlap when it arrives.
I also wonder how many records regularly published critics get through in a year and how many listens they have given in total to their end of the year ‘best of’? Then how many of these will they still be listening to in 5 years time? I probably give more credence to critics or who’s taste in music is fairly wide, but also aligned with mine to a large extent and where my purchasing experience has not disappointed. Also to a few of you who post on here or the SH forum about Jazz and who’s views I respect.

I don’t really do ‘streaming’ as such in the high quality sense, but will give a quick listen on YouTube etc to something I’m not sure about. I certainly made some poor purchases though or at least some that hardly get played again. I also like you tend to be drawn the post bop to free jazz in general, so composer pianists like Keith Jarrett, Andrew Hill and Cecil Taylor etc. But still love the great traditional piano trios I started out with such as Bill Evan and Ahmad Jamal the later who made most of his living by playing Jazz piano in lounges.

I report back on the Charlap after a few listens. Apparent Joe Harley did the final ‘proofing’ listening on the vinyl.

AF4-C5-C64-4-DB2-4174-A33-B-8-DFA5-D97-FF1-E.jpg

The thread on John McLaughlin and his 80th birthday encouraged me to give this a spin that I have not played for a long time.
Vinyl, 1977 original pressing.

d0fc4987c0f8ce637205ecbb6e7d67c1.jpg

Good to see that this great 1968 - 50+ year old rare South African Jazz record finally getting a high quality reissue. The wonderful heavily Coltrane influenced Winston ‘Munkunku’ Ngoszi on Tenor. One track on the album is dedicated to Trane and Shorter and and is to an extent a protest ‘cry’ about the Sharpville Massacre. Nice piano solos from Lionel Pillay as well.
Vinyl, half speed mastered from the original tapes at Abbey Road by Miles Showell. Great mastering and pressing.

Apocalypse_-_Mahavishnu_Orchestra.jpg

Had this I my collection for years, but never REALLY listened to it. A 70's jazz fusion album produced by George Martin with the Royal Philhamonic Orchestra could have been all sorts of awful, but it's bloody amazing.

Listening to a CD rip on the NAS via a Pi with Moode & a HiFi Berry Digi-Pro hat into a Topping E30 via Coax and a Topping E50 headphone amp and HD600s in 'balanced' mode, if you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09DJ8SPRX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Interesting - thanks Jim. It looks like there have been a few reissues over the years but I've not come across it before.

I noticed the CD is just £9 direct from the Mr Bongo bandcamp page...
https://mrbongo.bandcamp.com/album/yakhal-inkomo-2
Yes just checked on Discogs and there are more reissues than I thought.
The vinyl sounds excellent for both mastering and pressing I obviously don’t know how the CD mastering compares. It doesn’t say, but the vinyl really is mono though, but still sounds great even when played with my stereo cartridge. I will play it with my dedicated mono cartridge next time. Just over £17 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09DJ8SPRX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
d0fc4987c0f8ce637205ecbb6e7d67c1.jpg

Good to see that this great 1968 - 50+ year old rare South African Jazz record finally getting a high quality reissue. The wonderful heavily Coltrane influenced Winston ‘Munkunku’ Ngoszi on Tenor. One track on the album is dedicated to Trane and Shorter and and is to an extent a protest ‘cry’ about the Sharpville Massacre. Nice piano solos from Lionel Pillay as well.
Vinyl, half speed mastered from the original tapes at Abbey Road by Miles Showell. Great mastering and pressing.

Thanks for that; sounding very promising. A double LP is on eBay for £22posted….

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back