advertisement

What are you listening to right now #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was : Antony & The Johnstons - I'm A Bird Now

Is : Giant Sand is All Over The Map

Will this work ever end? I suspect not.

SSB I'll be picking your brain about John Zorn as soon as I have some spare time. I was introduced to it last night and need to know more/get pointers. TIA, ag

I've ordered The Circle Maker and Masada Vol 4. The first on the back of some sample listening, the second as an act of complete randomness.

I suspect I'll be at the 'less bonkers' end of the Zorn spectrum.

Originally posted by alexgerrard
I suspect I'll be at the 'less bonkers' end of the Zorn spectrum.
I'm not entirely sure where they lie on the Tzadik spectrum, but two albums I can wholeheartedly recommend are:
Raz Mesinai - Resurrections for Goatskin This is the real soundtrack to the Old Testament: a dissonant, wild-eyed symphony for ramshorn and goatskin percussion.
Susie Ibarra - Folkloriko a kind of post-bop, neo-gamelan pop. Pretty much anything Susie Ibarra touches turns out good IMHO.
NP The Moken: sea Gypsies of the Andaman Islands this album gets a bad rap for some reason. It'a actually rather good.

Circle Maker's lovely, I defy anybody not to like it. There's plenty of less bonkers great Zorn stuff, but you may find the more you get into it, the more bonkers stuff becomes less bonkers. It all begins to makes sense.

V, Virgin Records double LP compilation from 1975, featuring some good stuff (Henry Cow, Ivor Cutler, Robert Wyatt, Kevin Coyne, Captain Beefheart, White Noise etc) and some shite (Mike Oldfield being the outstanding example).

-- Ian

Now: Gangbe Brass Band - togbé Excellent brass band music from West Africa.
Next: bed
Soon: 100 pages :D

Second the recommendations to Circle Maker - lovely music, as is Masada Guitars if you fancy your Masada tunes in a semi classical jazz style - which is better than it sounds! And if you like Circle Maker, check out Marc Ribot's Prosthetic Cubans - similar but different.

Today:
Sufjan Stevens: Mitchigan - becau we're skint this month and I can't afford the new one.
Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun - becuase the sun's out and its summer : unlike many others, I think this is a great record.

Originally posted by kjb

Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun - becuase the sun's out and its summer : unlike many others, I think this is a great record.

I'm yet to find a bad YLT experience. The least satisfactory has been Fakebook, which has been a grower.

You will have PM in a minute too edit : or you would do if your mailbox wasn't full

Was was: Nobody - Pacific Drift: Western Water Music Vol. 1. There's definitely something very good in the water in the Pacific North-West.

Mostly instrumental hip-hoppy lite stuff from a couple of years ago with an old-fashioned psychedelic gleam in its eye. Excellent.

Then was: Soulwax - Any Minute Now. Belgians? Who are also 2 Many Djs.

Is now: Andrew Gold's faux-hippy album again.

Tony: Psyshop usually carries vinyl versions of all decent psy-trance and its dubbier cousins, though not in OTT's case currently. But then you probably knew that.

Circle Maker's lovely, I defy anybody not to like it. There's plenty of less bonkers great Zorn stuff, but you may find the more you get into it, the more bonkers stuff becomes less bonkers. It all begins to makes sense.

Sure, C.M. is lovely, along with Bar Khoba, listenable Zorn. Some of the surfy film stuff too, but the extreme cut-up thrash music (?) never made sense. It's taken a long time but i've finally realised the jazz post-bop mainstream is really where it's at.

dave

Originally posted by kjb
Sufjan Stevens: Mitchigan - becau we're skint this month and I can't afford the new one.
Trust me- you should skip a meal and buy it. ;-)

Is: Sufjan Stevens- Illinois (This is fast becoming my fav of his as I'm beginning to appreciate the wonderful arrangements.)

Originally posted by dave charlton
It's taken a long time but i've finally realised the jazz post-bop mainstream is really where it's at.

You're just not down with the kids, daddio.

Al Green, Love Ritual. Unreleased recordings from 1968 - 1976. "Strong As Death (Sweet As Love)" is an amazing song.

-- Ian

Originally posted by alexgerrard
I'm yet to find a bad YLT experience. The least satisfactory has been Fakebook, which has been a grower.

You will have PM in a minute too edit : or you would do if your mailbox wasn't full

Fakebook's one of my fave cheer up records. Can't feel grumpy after listening to Griselda! No typical YTL, though, I'll grant you.

btw: box now empty.

Now: Belle and Sebastian: Boy with The Arab Strap - my lovely wife's choice.

kevin

You're just not down with the kids, daddio.

Yeah man, you're probably right. Brubeck I aint', but the whole free blowin' thing does'nt do it for me any more. Probably best illustrated by my next order from Early Records.

Tommy Flanagan The Complete Overseas - live in Stockholm '57
Benny Golson Gone With Golson
The Jazz Crusaders Lighthouse '68
Wes Montgomery The Incredible Jazz Guitar

dave

Is: Masada- Live @ Middleheim
Will be: Electric Masada

I was wiggling like an excited puppy when these arrived today.

At the mo going through the week-ends purchases;
Pink Floyd-Meddle
Blondie-Parallel lines
The Damned-Music for pleasure
OMD-Architechture & morality
XTC-Drums and wires
Tom Petty & the heartbreakers-You're gonna get it
All bought for the total of £13:D
Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement