advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by matthewr
I am very well Dev. Just very busy at work for once.

There was some talk of a mid-week drink with Tim and Dr Channing (who I've not seen for ages either) if you can find some time in your diary.

Matthew

That would be great - How about Tomorrow or Thursday? Or sometime next week. I saw Tim and John and that purple man Jawed over x-mas. It would be nice to see you. Send me your email addy to [email protected]

Dev

John Fahey - 'Death Chants' etc.

HMHB 'Four Lads Who Shook the Wirral'.

The John Fahey album has the best sleeve notes of any record ever made.

http://www.johnfahey.com/pages/v2note.html

'Take a Look at that Baby. This song, which is preserved in the archives of the Groat and Isaiah Nettles Volkmusik Library in Heliotrope, Maryland, has only one verse, which runs:

My Uncle Groat, he' s fat as a shoat,
he'll pour you a gallon or two.
No use to scream, no use to cry,
drink that good old mountain jew.

It was recorded by the Two Poor Boys on the ARC label in the early 1930' s. Various authorities have suggested that this is a variant stanza of the now popular song "Good old mountain dew," which was originally sung to incite race riots by the early followers of Father Jahn in this country. In its use by Fahey and Blind Joe, the song carried no racist connotations. Fortunately, Father Jahn and his disciples all but disappeared from the world historical scene. This brief but unfortunate page in American history is long gone. Though we read of various racist organisations which are springing up, much to our amazement, such as the Black Muslims, the Ku Klux Klan, the Sons of Pericles, the B'nai B'rith, and the New Lost City Ramblers, it is the editorial policy of this company to oppose all such racist organizations, and merely to present the volk music of the American people in all its diversity and splendour. The two Poor Boys were assassinated by a fanatical variant stanza collector in 1929 on Capitol Hill.'

Is : Sasha 'Airdrawndagger'

Will be : dunno, something with a nice 4/4, maybe Deep Dish.

File under 'house shite' (tm Dr Mekon)

Le Poeme Harmonique & Vincent Dumestre -- je meurs sans mourir Antoine Boesset Dumestre maintains his usual impeccable standards.
Nima Ben David - The Passion of Musick Captain Tobias Hume Sublime. Another superb performance from Nima Ben David. Sombre, devastatingly beautiful music. On Alpha, naturally.
Umekichi - Meiji Taisho hayariuta This one goes out to all the gaijin in the house. Despite of the gaijin appeal, she does have a great voice, the band is good and it is *very* well recorded.

B00005M6CY.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Originally posted by blow fish
Also: Said Chriabi, lovely lyrical and soulful geetar playing (or an instrument very closely related to a geetar) - can't remember the title, but, SSB will know.
Said Chraibi plays the Ud. THe album is probably "The Key to Granada" on Institute du Monde Arabe and that you enjoyed it shows you to be a man of taste (if not yet learning ;) ).
If it isn't this album, please dig it out and tell which it is.

Originally posted by blow fish
It is that album, which I believe you sent to Ian. Just out of interest, how does an Ud, differ from a guitar?
An ud is essentially a fretless, short-necked, semi-pear shaped lute (the lute is derived from the ud) with five pairs of double strings (each pair tuned the same) and a single, thicker and shorter "drone" string.
This is only a basic outline, ud construction differs enormously by style (Moroccan, Egyptian, Turkish etc) and by player. No two uds are the same. In addition, there are a huge number of tunings available according to the modal system chosen.
Check out http://www.mikeouds.com/ for much, much more info.

Is: Dvorak Sympho 8 & 9
Will be: one, some, or possibly even all of my recent buying-binge: The Band, Last Waltz (4CD set); Coltrane, Giant Steps; Holst, Planets c/w Elgar, Enigma Var; Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson.

Not even thought about how I'll fit in the evening concert on 3 (assorted Bernstein and Gershwin) or Late Junction.

Looks like a late night ahead then.

S.

Have now got the dedicated music PC up and running in the back room downstairs, and have therefore recommenced converting everything to MP3 (for use on mobile devices) and selective CDs are being ripped as FLAC

As a result I've been listening to quite a few CDs which I haven't played more than once since buying, especially on the classical side, for example:

Bach: Matthäus-Passion (excerpts) - Corboz, Michel

Requiem in D Minor K.626 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Karl Boehm - VPO - the Requiem/Kyrie being particularly splendid

Boehm - Bruckner: Symphony No. 4

Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant - Belle & Sebastian - which is pretty other worldly on your IPOD walking across London Bridge past all the TV people wanting to film shots of people in suits.

Schburet (spellin courtesy of CDDB) - Forellenquintett (The Trout) op. 114 - Cleveland String Quartet

Athlete's two albums: Tourist & Vehicles and Animals

British Sea Power - Decline of ....

OK its an odd mix but then again some music is good for trains and some is good for walking etc.

Blue Orchids, A Darker Bloom. Compilation of stuff from the group Martin Bramah and Una Baines set up when they split from The Fall in 1979. Underwhelming apart from a couple of decent songs, I was hoping for something better. Oddly, I don't remember hearing any of this stuff at the time, apart from the first single.

-- Ian

om the group Martin Bramah and Una Baines set up when they split from The Fall in 1979. Underwhelming apart from a couple of decent songs, I was hoping for something better.

Keep with it - Blue Orchids are great!

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
Keep with it - Blue Orchids are great!

Tony.

Greatest Hit (The Money Mountain) is their best.

Cheers

Rich - just started on Simon Reynolds book - memories!

Death cab for cutie - The Photo Album

Another band I am The Last Person In The World to catch up with. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Was: Sleater-Kinney kexp in-studio performance/interview
Is: Gang of Four kexp in-studio performance/interview
Will Be: Sampling some Talk Talk on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back